Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of carrots.... recipes please

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of carrots.... recipes please

Hello

We accidentally bought a new bag of carrots while there was already an unopened bag of carrots in the fridge. I also have a bag of baby carrots!!! We are not carrot lovers, except that I always keep a bag of carrots in the fridge and use it here and there... I don't make anything exclusively with carrots. But now I would appreciate some recipes that use lots of carrots.

Thank you.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okie, at last I got muy turn to help you. If you have children at home, they'll love this. Gajar ka halwa!

http://food.sify.com/keyword_recipe_...carrot%20halwa

Everyone will enjoy this on a hot Summer's Day- Carrot Drink

http://food.sify.com/keyword_recipe_...carrot%20drink

Some of the other stuff you can try, for a change:
    Carrot Chutney
    http://food.sify.com/keyword_recipe_...rrot%20Chutney

For the kids'/hubby's lunch box: Carrot Sandwich
    http://food.sify.com/keyword_recipe_...rot%20sandwich

For a relishing dessert on a lazy Sunday Afternoon: Carrot Kheer
    http://food.sify.com/keyword_recipe_...Carrot%20kheer

I hope I've been helpful. For more Carrot recipes, log on to www.bawarchi.com

I use carrots mostly in Uppma & Noodles . I also grate carrots & have them in yoghurt as a side dish. You can also add some grated carrots in the dosa batter for colour & nutrition.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love carrot porial..Ive had it in hotels.

from what I could make out the method is the same as its for beans porial..
    cut carrots into small cubes.
    in a tawa add little oil
    when the oil is hot enough add mustard seeds,dry red chillies,urad dal and curry leaves.
    when the mustard seeds start to sputter add the carrots.
    Add little water and allow the carrots to cook(The carrots can be steamed in the MW before hand and added to the tawa at this point too)
    Add salt according to taste and finially add some coconut.
    Carrot porial is usually served in chennai hotels as part of "meals" or "special sapadu".
    I loved them...

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting those links Alan.
    I want to try Carrot halwa, but I am confused with the humongous number of recipes posted on those websites. Do you or anybody have a T&T (tried and true) recipe?
    I liked your wonderful idea of adding them to the dosa batter. That will make the dosas pretty & nutritious. I have the dosa batter and I am going to try it. I rarely add grated carrots in pancake batter, but never thought of using them in dosa batter.

ssanjinika, that is an easy recipe, sounds delicious. I will try it out. Thank you.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red pepper, I make quick carrot halwa - my MIL's recipe. Grate carrot and stir fry it in a tiny amount of ghee. She adds ghee, just the amount of oil that we add for poriyal and stuff, adds the carrot and covers the vessel... Once carrot is cooked add fresh cream, sugar/vellam (generally pana vellam is good for health so I add that instead of sugar), diced almonds, fried cashew, raisins and mix it up well and stir it till the halwa gets a bit thick and there is no liquid, add cardamom powder, mix and remove from heat.... ready to eat!!!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red Pepper: I add grated carrot to dosa batter, idli batter, chappati atta, aval upma... also add carrots to vermicilli, pasta, upma, noodles, etc.

You can make grated carrot and peas poriyal, or diced carrot and peas poriyal, you can also make cabbage, beans and carrot poriyal (the tri-colour is attractive, specially for children).
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also make carrot rice...

1.Cook rice with salt... the grains should be separate after cooking... Should be like what we use to make lemon rice, puliogare etc...
    2.Grate lots of carrots... I usually add 2 whole(medium)carrot for 200 gms of rice coz I love carrots... U can reduce it if u want to... chop onions...
    3.Grind green chillies, roasted channa dhal(around 1 tbsp), 5-6 sticks of coriander leaveswith stalk, a tbsp of coconut or other substitue for coconut(can avoid this as this doesn't make a big difference), a small piece of garlic or ginger(flavour differes a bit depending on which one U use) & salt, turmeric powder.
    4. Take oil in a pan... add some mustard seeds, jeera & urad dhal, cashew nuts(optional)...once golden, add chopped onions, curry leaves & fry a it...
    5. Add the grated carrots & fry until 1/2 done..add a bit of water if req...
    6.Now add the ground paste & cook for another minute or two...
    7.Add the rice & mix well...garnish with coriander leaves... the carrots should be a bit crunchy even after all the cooking is done.

Noter:
    The same can be done with cabbages... In that case add ginger or not garlic while grinding the paste as ginger goes well with cabbages...

The same can be done for aval or beaten rice or poha... Avoid the paste(step 6) & follow the other steps... add slit chillies for taste...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow there! lotttttttttttts of recipes. Its gonna be a Carrot Fiesta in RedPepper's home!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a tried and tested carrot raita which goes well with rice and rotis.You can eat it as it as well.

Grate 1 cup carrot.Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and let them splutter.Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds,few curry leaves,1/2 urad dal and let it brown a bit.Add 2 slit green chillis and 1 small chopped onion.Fry for 3-4 minutes,stirring.Now add the grated carrot and fry for 3-4 minutes.Add salt and 1/3 tsp turmeric pwd.Remove from heat and cool.
    Beat 1 cup yogurt and add the cooled fried carrot to it.Adjust salt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

This is a very healthy and tasty raita.

Another recipe is chop carrots and beetroots and add some white pepper pwd,salt and honey and have it as a salad.

Mix grated carrots with sprouts and blend with lemon juice , salt and white pepper pwd and have it as a salad.
    Red Pepper,hope this helps..
    Sailaja
    Indian Food & Andhra Recipes -
    Sailu's Kitchen
    Healthy Recipes for Kids -
    Kids Zone

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some carrot & beetroot 'thoran' when I went to my friend's home for lunch ( he is a Keralite/malayali)

Its very simple.

Grate equal amounts of carrot & beetrrot.

Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, red chillies & grated coconut. Add grated carrot & beetroot. Add salt, chiilipowder & turmeric powder. Cook till the veggies are done. YUMMY!!! Serve hot with Rice & Sambhar, Curd & Pappads. You have an awesome Kerala lunch!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast