Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swami Vivekananda- one great spiritual giant of India

Senior Member Regular Hubber indian224080's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gods confusion with time dimension

I feel twas indeed a mistake for the Gods to post him earlier than he wud've been REALLY needed for our society (ie. now!)......
    I dont think so Lambretta. Because if he were born today he would be put even under goondas act for preaching Hinduism. So i think Swamy Vivekananda earned his reputation as he was born in the last century.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gods confusion with time dimension

Quote Originally Posted by indian224080
    I feel twas indeed a mistake for the Gods to post him earlier than he wud've been REALLY needed for our society (ie. now!)......
    I dont think so Lambretta. Because if he were born today he would be put even under goondas act for preaching Hinduism. So i think Swamy Vivekananda earned his reputation as he was born in the last century.
    Well, I frankly doubt if sumone of his calibre wud've met tat condition.....or maybe he wud've.....?
    Nevertheless, I cudn't trust today's society in ne case!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is Ramakrishan Mission and Math upto these days. I rarely here about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    What is Ramakrishan Mission and Math upto these days. I rarely here about them.
    They still r continuing......I go to RK mission here every Sunday for Yoga & many (even youth) come for religious discourses......they even hold bhajans etc. there on festive days (altho I havn't attended those so far) as I mentioned, they'd even conducted a Youth rally on 12th Jan, Swami V's Birthday. However, I agree tat its more of a struggle for them afa popularity is concerned in today's society, compared w/ their earlier days!

Post Thanks / Like

Swami Vivekananda's 15 Laws of Life

Tks to NOV for posting this originally in the Misc. secn.

Swami Vivekananda's 15 Laws of Life:

1. Love Is The Law Of Life:
    All love is expansion, all selfishness is contraction.
    Love is therefore the only law of life. He who loves lives, he who is selfish is dying. Therefore, love for love's sake, because it is law of life, just as you breathe to live.

2. It's Your Outlook That Matters:
    It is our own mental attitude, which makes the world what it is for us. Our thoughts make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light.

3. Life is Beautiful:
    First, believe in this world - that there is meaning behind everything. Everything in the world is good, is holy and beautiful. If you see something evil, think that you do not understand it in the right light.
    Throw the burden on yourselves!

4. It's The Way You Feel:
    Feel like Christ and you will be a Christ; feel like Buddha and you will be a Buddha. It is feeling that is the life, the strength, the vitality, without which no amount of intellectual activity can reach God.

5. Set Yourself Free:
    The moment I have realized God sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him - that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free.

6. Don't Play The Blame Game:
    Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.

7. Help Others:
    If money helps a man to do good to others, it is of some value; but if not, it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid of, the better.

8. Uphold Your Ideals:
    Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth.

9. Listen To Your Soul:
    You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.

10. Be Yourself:
    The greatest religion is to be true to your own nature. Have faith in yourselves!

11. Nothing Is Impossible:
    Never think there is anything impossible for the soul.
    It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin - to say that you are weak, or others are weak.

12. You Have The Power:
    All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.

13. Learn Everyday:
    The goal of mankind is knowledge... now this knowledge is inherent in man. No knowledge comes from outside: it is all inside. What we say a man 'knows', should, in strict psychological language, be what he 'discovers' or 'unveils'; what man 'learns' is really what he discovers by taking the cover off his own soul, which is a mine of infinite knowledge.

14. Be Truthful:
    Everything can be sacrificed for truth, but truth cannot be sacrificed for anything.

15. Think Different:
    All differences in this world are of degree, and not of kind, because oneness is the secret of everything

If only we could try & adopt half (or even 1/4th!) of these 'laws', we would turn into better human beings for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sayings by Swami Vivekananda

On true religion

-Religion is not in books, nor in theories, nor in dogmas, nor in talking, not even in reasoning! It is being and becoming. The secret of true religion does not lie in theories but in practice. To be good and to do good- that is the whole of religion.

-In studying books, we are sometimes deluded into thinking that thereby we are being spiritually helped; but if we analyse ourselves, we will find that only our intellect has been helped, and not the spirit.

-I do not believe in a God or religion that cannot wipe the widow’s tears or bring a piece of bread to the orphan’s mouth.

-The Parliament of Religions has shown the world that holiness, purity and charity are not exclusive possessions of any church in the world, and that every system has produced men and women of the most exalted character. In the face of this evidence, if anybody dreams of the exclusive survival of his own religion and the destruction of the others, I pity him from the bottom of my heart, and point out to him that upon the banner of every religion will soon be written, in spite of resistance: ‘Help and not Fight’, ‘Assimilation and not Destruction’, ‘Harmony and Peace and not Dissension.’

-In life and in death, in happiness and in misery, the Lord is equally present. The whole world is full of God. Open your eyes and see Him.

-God alone lives. The soul alone lives. Spirituality alone lives. Hold on to that.

-It is very good to be born in a church, but very bad to die in a church. It is very good to be born within the limits of certain forms that help the plant of spirituality, but if a man dies within the bounds of these forms, it shows that he has not grown, that there has been no development of the soul!

-Religion is the manifestation of the Divinity and natural strength already in man.

-Religion is the idea that is raising the brute unto man, and man unto God.

-Religions of the world have all become lifeless mockeries! What the world wants and needs is character.

Post Thanks / Like

The Secret of Work

-Any action that makes us go Godward is a good action, and is our duty; any action that makes us go downward is evil, and is not our duty!

-Pay as much attention to means as to the end.

-Whatever you do, think well on it. All your actions will be magnified, transformed, defied, by the very power of the thought.

-If in this hell of a world, one can bring a little joy and peace even for a day into the heart of a single person, that much alone is true; this I have learnt after suffering all my life; all else is mere moonshine!

-The reason that we find a lack of satisfaction with any work that we do, no matter how great it may be, is the lack of peace of mind, which stems from the fact that we do not apply our mind so much to the means as we do to the end result of our work.

-Take up one idea, make that one idea your life; think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body be full of that idea, and just leave any other idea alone. This is the way to success, and this is the way great spiritual giants are produced. Others are mere talking machines!

-You should work like a master of your mind and not as a slave; work incessantly, but do not do a slave’s work.

-Competition rouses envy and kills the kindliness of the heart. To the grumbler all duties are distasteful; nothing will ever satisfy him, and his whole life is doomed to prove a failure.

-Three things are necessary to make every man great, every nation great:

1. Conviction of the powers of goodness.
    2. Absence of jealousy and suspicion.
    3. Helping all who are trying to be and do good.

-By means of constant effort to do good to others, we are trying to forget ourselves; this forgetfulness of self is the one great lesson we have to learn in life.

-Are you unselfish? That is the question. If you are, you will be perfect without reading a single religious book, without going into a single church or temple.

-Misery comes through attachment, not through work. As soon as we identify ourselves with the work we do, we feel miserable; but if we do not identify ourselves with it, we do not feel that misery.

-Do not fly away from the wheels of the world-machine, but stand inside it and learn the secret of work. Through proper work done inside, it is also possible to come out. Through this machinery itself is the way out.

-Ask nothing, want nothing in return. Give what you have to give; it will come back to you but do not think of that now, it will come back multiplied a thousand fold; but the attention must not be on that. Yet have the power to give: give, and there it ends. Ask nothing in return; but the more you give, the more will come back to you The quicker you can empty the air out of this room, the quicker it will be filled up by the external air.

-The tapas and other Yogas that were practices in other yugas do not work now. What is needed in this yuga is giving, helping others. And the highest of gifts is the giving of spiritual knowledge, the next is the giving of secular knowledge, and the next is saving of life, the last of giving food and drink. He who gives spiritual knowledge saves the soul from many many a birth.

-Everybody can show what evil is, but he is the friend of mankind who finds a way out of the difficulty. We have had lectures enough, societies enough, papers enough; where is the man who will lend us a hand to drag us out? Where is the man who really loves us? Where is the man who has sympathy for us? That man is wanted!

Post Thanks / Like

Our motherland- India.

-Shall India die? Then from the world all spirituality will be extinct, all moral perfection will be extinct, all sweet-souled sympathy for religion will be extinct, all ideality will be extinct; and in its place will reign the duality of lust and luxury as the male and female deities, with money as its priest, fraud, force and competition its ceremonies, and the human soul its sacrifice. Such a thing can never be!

-If there is any land on this earth that can lay claim to be the blessed Punya Bhumi, to be the land to which soul on this earth must come to account for Karma, the land to which every soul that is wending its way Godward must come to attain its last home, the land where humanity has attained its highest towards gentleness, generosity, purity, calmness, above all, the land of introspection and spirituality- it is in India.

-Here in India, it is religion that forms the very core of the national heart. It is the backbone, the bedrock, the foundation upon which the national edifice has been built. In religion lies the vitality of India.

-We must grow according to our nature. Vain is it to attempt the lines of action that foreign societies have engrafted upon us: it is impossible. Glory unto God, that it is impossible, that we cannot be twisted, moulded or tortured into the shape of other nations! I do not condemn the institutions of other races; they are good for them, but not for us. What is meat for them may be poison for us!

-On one side, New India is saying, “If we adopt Western ideas, Western mannerisms, Western culture, Western thoughts, we shall be as strong and powerful as the Western nations”; on the other, Old India is saying, “Fools! By imitation, other’s ideas never become one’s own- nothing, unless earned, is your own. Does the donkey in a lion’s skin become a lion?”
    On one side, New India is saying, “What the Western nations do is surely good, otherwise how did they become so great?” On the other side, Old India is saying, “the flash of lightning may be intensely bright, but only for a moment; look out boys, don’t let it dazzle your eyes. Beware!”

-O India, this is your terrible, dangerous weakness! The spell of imitating the West is getting such a strong hold upon you that what is good or bad is no longer decided by reason, judgement, discrimination, or reference to the Shasthras. Whatever ideas, whatever manners the west praises of like, are good; whatever things they dislike or censure, are bad! Alas! What can be a more tangible proof of foolishness than this?

-O India! With this mere echoing of others, with this base imitation of others, with this dependance on others, this slavish weakness, this vile, detestable cruelty- would you, with these provisions only, scale the highest pinnacle of civilization and greatness? Would you attain, by means of your disgraceful cowardice, that freedom deserved only by the brave and the heroic?

-O India! Forget not that the ideal of your womanhood is Sita, Savitri, Damayanti; forget not that the God you worship is the great Ascetic of ascetics, the all-renouncing Shankara, the Lord of Uma; forget not that your marriage, your wealth, your life are not for sense-pleasure, are not for your individual personal happiness; forget not that you are born as a sacrifice to the Mother’s altar; forget not that the lower classes, the ignorant, the poor, the illiterate, the cobbler, the sweeper, are your flesh and blood, your brothers.

-Our life-blood is spirituality. If it flows clear, if it flows strong and pure and vigorous, everything is righrt; political, social, and other material defects, even the poverty of the land, will all be cured if that blood is pure.

-But mark you, if you give up that spirituality, leaving it aside to go after the materializing civilization of the West, the result will be that in three generations you will be an extinct race; because the backbone of the nation will be broken, the foundation upon which the national edifice has been built will be undermined, and the result will be annihilation all round!

-But one vision I see clear as life before me, that the ancient Mother has awakened once more, sitting on Her throne rejuvenated, more glorious than ever! Proclaim Her to all the world with the voice of peace and benediction.

-India will be raised, not with the power of the flesh, but with the power of the spirit; not with the flag of destruction but with the flag of peace & love.

-What India wants a new electric fire to stir up a fresh vigour in the national veins.

-This national ship of ours, my countrymen, has been plying for ages, carrying civilizations and enriching the whole world with its inestimable treasures. For scores of shining centuries, this national ship of ours has been ferrying across the ocean of life, and has taken millions of souls to the other shore, beyond all misery. But today, it may have sprung a leak and got damaged, through your own fault or whatever cause it matters not. What would you, who have places yourselves in it, do now? Would you go about cursing it and quarelling among yourselves? Woulr you all not unite together and put your best efforts to stop the holes? Let us all gladly give our hearts’ blood to do this; and if we fail in the attempt, let us all sink and die together, with blessings and not curses on our lips.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Fire111999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: VIVEKANAND'S CHICOGO SPEECH

Quote Originally Posted by Uppuma
    Friends,

The Great speech of sri.Vivekanand is available for download in Tamil and English in www.chennainetwork.com
    uppuma
    can't find the english version! and i can't bring myself to read the tamil version cos i'm really slow in reading tamil.

digr: i heard that the founder of the tata group of companies travelled on the same ship as swami vivekananda to america in 1893 in search of iron ore. and he founded the tata steel company in 1907. so could this (meaning travelling on the same ship) be correct? why would there have been such a long time b/w the time he went in search of iron ore and to when he founded his company? but it seems in the end he found iron ore in india, so is this period cos he didn't find iron ore til then?

end of digr

i've only read until the 15 laws of life. i'll read the remaining stuff later. i need to go search for the english version of the famous september speech!
    ~~~Believe. Just saying - I can do it, can give surprising results. ~~~

~~~ God is a girl ~~~

~~~ Check out the painted hand elephant!~~~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123