View Poll Results: Will the Spurs get LUCKY again?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they will! Lucky bunch of *&^%!!

0 0%
  • They don't need LUCK!! They Rock!! They will win the Cham'ship!

2 33.33%
  • No they won't get lucky! They Suck!!

4 66.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NBA Season of 2005-2006!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suns bury Lakers for series win
    06/05/2006 11:08:23

The Phoenix Suns whipped the Lakers in Game 7 on Saturday night, completing a series comeback and denying an all-Los Angeles matchup in the second round of the playoffs.

Victoria native Steve Nash had 13 points as the Suns never trailed in a 121-90 home victory at U.S. Airways Centre to close out their Western Conference quarter-final.

Nash, who overcame a mild sprain to his right ankle near the end of the half, also had eight rebounds and seven assists. Leandro Barbosa had 27 points, while Boris Diaw scored 21 points and collected nine rebounds.

Seven Suns players finished in double digits as the team shot 61 per cent from the field.

Kobe Bryant had a spectacular first half, but was completely shut down in the second to finish with 20 points and six rebounds. Lamar Odom was the next-highest Laker starter, with 12 points.

Luke Walton had 15 points for Los Angeles, most of which came in the waning minutes.

Phoenix became only the eighth team in NBA history to overcome a 3-1 deficit to win a best-of-seven series. The Lakers had never lost a series when leading 3-1, while their coach Phil Jackson lost in the first round for the first time in 15 playoff appearances.

Phoenix, meanwhile, had never won a series in which they faced a 3-1 deficit.

The Suns now advance to face the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round, beginning Monday night in Phoenix.

Hopes had been high in Los Angeles for a celebrity-studded crowd for what had already been dubbed the "Hallway Series," so named due to the fact the dressing rooms for the Lakers and Clippers in the shared Staples Center facility are separated by 70 feet of hallway.

It was apparent from just about the opening tip that those plans were premature.

Phoenix burst out to a 16-6 lead and expanded it to a 32-15 gap by the end of the first period. Nash dished the ball around to all of his teammates, setting up Tim Thomas for a dunk on one occasion.

Barbosa had a strong first quarter after a disappointing Game 6. He continued early in the second, adding a pair of layups against the befuddled Lakers.

But Bryant, who poured in a playoff career-high 50 points in a Game 6 overtime loss, hit four three-pointers in the quarter to bring the Lakers to as close as eight points.

Unfortunately for him, his teammates were ice-cold. Los Angeles shot 39 per cent from the field.

His last trey was answered by Diaw with one second left in the half for a 60-45 Phoenix lead, with Bryant accounting for 20 points for the Lakers.

Any hopes for a Los Angeles comeback in the second half were quickly dashed as the Suns keyed on Bryant and his young teammates continued to appear rattled.

The Suns extended the lead to 25 points as the third quarter ended.

Nash was rested with six minutes to go, and Bryant quickly made his exit for the season soon after, having taken only three shots in the half.

Even the matchup of the team's reserves was one-sided, with Phoenix's Pat Burke and Eddie House nailing three-pointers to further elate the sell-out crowd.

Nash was interviewed after the game and said the ankle problem would not prevent him from playing Game 1 against the Clippers on Monday.

from: http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/H...howbyline=True

Suns all the way!!! ....this is all for STEVE NASH!!!!....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Nash repeats as MVP
    07/05/2006 1:40:10 PM

For the second consecutive season, Victoria's Steve Nash is the NBA's most valuable player.

The Phoenix Suns guard was presented the MVP award at a Sunday afternoon news conference, fewer than 24 hours after he led his team to a 121-90 thrashing of the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 7 of the Western Conference quarter-finals.

The Suns won three consecutive games to eliminate the Lakers after trailing 3-1 in the series.

Nash earned 924 points, including 57 first-place votes, from a panel of 125 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada in balloting for the award. The Canadian superstar easily outdistanced Cleveland's LeBron James (688 points) and Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki (544 points).

"There were some incredible candidates, and I would have been supportive of any one of them if they had won it," said Nash.

"I have to admit, it's a little bit uncomfortable to be singled out amongst all these great players two years in a row. I have to pinch myself."

He joins Magic Johnson as the only point guard in NBA history to win back-to-back MVP awards.

Nash, 32, is also the first Canadian to be named league MVP and the ninth player overall to win the honour in back-to-back seasons.

Nash guided the Suns to a franchise record-tying 62 victories last season, winning plaudits and acclaim for his unselfish play and fantastic vision on the court to win his first MVP award.

He followed that up with career highs in scoring (18.8 points per game), rebounding (4.2) and field goal percentage (.512) during the 2005-06 NBA regular season. He also topped the league in free throw percentage (.921), assists (10.5 per game) and finished sixth in three-point percentage at 43.9.

Nash helped the Suns win a second straight Pacific Division crown, a feat that's all the more impressive considering Phoenix lost key forward Amare Stoudemire (knee injury) early in the season and traded away Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson last summer.

"A lot is made about me making my teammates better, and I really believe that my teammates make me a lot better, too," said Nash. "I'm fortunate enough to play with great players and great players. I owe a lot to them, a lot to the organization, and a lot to the city."

Nash's repeat victory immediately drew criticism from fans and journalists who questioned his defensive prowess, and whether he was the product of a top-notch coaching system.

Those claims were quickly dismissed by Canadian national team coach Leo Rautins.

"I don't know if people really realize how good Steve is," said Rautins. "The United States could have put him on their Olympic team in Greece [in 2004], and they would have won a gold medal [instead of bronze]. That's how good he is.

"I think he's one of those once-in-a-lifetime players that doesn't come by very often."

James was disappointed at his second-place finish.

"It would have been nice of course to put another trophy in my house, in my showcase," he said from Auburn Hills, Mich., before Sunday's game against the Detroit Pistons. "But it's something I'm going to keep working hard for. I can't dwell on not being named MVP."

with files from Canadian Press

from: http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/H...howbyline=True

STEVE NASH......MVP!!! Well-deserved reward!!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    THanks for rubbing it in! :P JK!!

Actually, Nash got out in the 2nd half for his ankle, he tried to come back in, but didn't really perform due to his ankle.

The man of the game was Barboza the Brazilian. If it wasn't for him, then the Series would have belonged to the Lakers.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    you're welcome.... :P ...i just don't like the Lakers and Kobe...

well, in the end, Suns beat the Lakers...
    and Nash deserves the MVP for his overall performance this season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why nto like Lakers?

We'll be back next year...SHAQ!!! WE NEED SHAQ!!
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    because of Kobe Bryant...simple as that...

Shaq is great...yes...Lakers need Shaq...

I only support Steve Nash apart from Toronto Raptors, because he's Canadian....otherwise Raptors, it is... ...they need a new coach and new manager...

Post Thanks / Like
    And some good players wouln't hurt.

yeah, kobe is a ball hog, but gotta love his skills.

But to lead a team to the Champs, a player shouldn't be a ball hog unelss it's twin MJ's.

Micheal Jordan
    Majic Johnson.
    Back after a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    We will see who the last man standing is @ that end of the

Heat vs Mavrics Series!! I'm going for Mavrics now!
    Back after a while...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234