Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

6 100.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Misconception and Misuse of Yoga by the west

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100%.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    ISHA is a Sanskrit words , in Thamizh it became, Ishwar, hence Mahaishwar,Paramishwar.

There is a type of yoga called, 'Isha Yoga', has any one got any information about this please?, has any one practised it?

thanks
    There is no special type of yoga called "Isha Yoga".It is just cult promoted by someone along the lines of basic yoga tenets ,located somewhere near coimbatore.
    The best text for yoga is "Light on Yoga". by BKS Iyengar.

Try this link;http://www.bksiyengar.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey if yoga is vedic, why there is no reference to yoga in the vedas or in manu smiriti, when the latter even talked about how/when to have bath, why it did not talk about something as important as yoga. They just did not understand what was practiced

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mahadevan
    You are seeking DNA (genetics) information in Economics books. Same way you are seeking yoga information in Manu smriti , which talks about laws. Please dont bring this aryan and dravidian. Just talk about humanity. Enough about wars on these issues.

Shiva is in yoga posture and not others, because each gods represents (symbolize) different aspects. it has nothing to do with aryan dravidan. I will explain soon.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pradheep..

There is nothing there in any Sanskritic works that talks much of yoga.. Yoga is written by Thirumoolar first around 3rd Cent CE - in Tamil. He has written extensively on Yoga. Read his Thirumantiram.

Patanjali's yoga sastras - in Sanskrit, contains only 165 lines with an average of just 5 words per line. It is just a brief mention of Yoga - nothing more.

Thirumoolar (according to legend) was the chief disciple of Nandithevar, a Tamil. Nandithevar had 8 disiciples and Patanjali, a Tamil was one of them.

PS. Nandithevar was a perfectly human looking man.. Don't mix him up with Siva's bull.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Idiappam
    But why do you bring the aryan dravidan fight in a topic of misunderstanding yoga in west.
    Then regarding patanjali's few words and lines does not demean the value of it , like that of tirukkural.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahadevan
    Hey if yoga is vedic, why there is no reference to yoga in the vedas or in manu smiriti, when the latter even talked about how/when to have bath, why it did not talk about something as important as yoga. They just did not understand what was practiced
    I never said Yoga is vedic. All I said that book was the best book available on yoga.
    I can't find any books in tamil written by tamil except one by Prof. Andiappan (of sun tv fame).He also brings out a tamil monthly "YOGA KALAI".

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, Prof Andiappan says in his books, that an asana called Vibhareedhi karani is available only in tamil books.This asana is closely related to Sarvangasana.Any one knows anything about it.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Fire111999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm interested in doing yoga. i have been to some yoga lessons but the instructor was not able to teach us breathing techniques which form a major part of yoga, from what i have heard. and so i stopped going for his yoga lessons. and now, i'm in the uk and i don't know how to continue. could someone pls suggest some good site which can teach me yoga?

thanks.
    ~~~Believe. Just saying - I can do it, can give surprising results. ~~~

~~~ God is a girl ~~~

~~~ Check out the painted hand elephant!~~~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234