• No

6 100.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misconception and Misuse of Yoga by the west

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The meaning of "yoga"

Quote Originally Posted by Raghu
    They treat this as a body enhancing exercises, they don’t teach the essence of bhakthi Yoga, Gnana yoga and karma yoga! Has any one noticed such misconception?
    The Yoga practiced in the west actually has very little to do with the Yoga of which you're speaking. They are completely different systems, with very different origins. It might be useful to quickly summarise the differences before we get into a discussion of each of the systems.

Yoga has always had a large number of meanings in the Indian tradition. There are of course the Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yogas of which the Gita speaks. There is also, however, Raja Yoga, which is the philosophy described in the Yoga sutras of Patanjali, and is rather different from all these. Patanjali felt that the strongest impediment to identity with Purusha (I don't think he uses the word "Brahman", but I could be wrong) was the nature of the human mind, and his sutras describe an eightfold system for disciplining the fluctuating, varying mind. One of its eight components is practicing certain seated poses, which are much simpler than what we call Yoga today, and are no more important than the other seven. Also, Patanjali's concept of union is grounded in Samkhya philosophy, and is therefore very different from the vedantic notions of Brahman with which Bhakti, Jnana and Karma Yoga are associated.

The asana-based Yoga we know of today is slightly related to Patanjali's system, but is also very different. In the 15th century, a disciple of Swami Gorakhnath wrote a book called "Hatha Yoga Pradipika", which in effect created a new system. This system was very strongly influenced by the more esoteric practices of the Siddhars (the pradipika begins by listing the great siddhars, starting with Siva, whose philosophy it says it follows). As a result, the notion of "realising identity with Purusha" which Patanjali speaks of is replaced by a concept of samadhi. And, to complicate things even further, the pradipika also blends into this mixture the ideas of chakra, kundalini, nadi and so on which had earlier been associated exclusively with tantric practice.

Hatha Yoga had practically died out by the 20th century, when one Tirumalai Krishnamachary revived it. His hatha yoga is largely based on the theories of the Pradipika. However, it greatly expands the rather limited collection of asanas which the Pradipika describes (no more than 15 or 16). The new asanas which Krishnamachary introduced were taken, again, from his observation of the siddha-derived practices of people in the villages of Tamil Nadu, and from the practices of monks in Tibet, where Krishnamachary spent several years studying. Most Yoga practiced today is derived from Krishnamachary's teachings. As with the pradipika, this system too places much emphasis on the physical aspects of Yoga.

There is yet another type of Yoga, called Kriya Yoga which was developed by Swami Yogananda, based on the teachings of Shyamcharan Lahiri. This system is claimed to be the rediscovery through mystical means of a "lost" system of ancient times, originally practiced by the Siddhars (Agattiyar and Bogar are specifically mentioned). The so-called "Bikram Yoga" is based on this system.

It is these latter two systems that have spread themselves to the west (and in India), and all too often by people whose primary concern is feathering their nests. Bhakti is not as important a part of these systems as it is of the Gita's concept of yoga, so it is quite easy to cut it out and prepare a more easily marketable product.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The meaning of "yoga"

Quote Originally Posted by aravindhan
    In the 15th century, a disciple of Swami Gorakhnath wrote a book called "Hatha Yoga Pradipika", which in effect created a new system. This system was very strongly influenced by the more esoteric practices of the Siddhars (the pradipika begins by listing the great siddhars, starting with Siva, whose philosophy it says it follows). Hatha Yoga had practically died out by the 20th century, when one Tirumalai Krishnamachary revived it. His hatha yoga is largely based on the theories of the Pradipika. However, it greatly expands the rather limited collection of asanas which the Pradipika describes (no more than 15 or 16).
    I was told at the Ramakrishna Mission today tat neone who practices Yoga is termed as a Hatha-yogi....?

There is yet another type of Yoga, called Kriya Yoga which was developed by Swami Yogananda, based on the teachings of Shyamcharan Lahiri.
    Yes, I heard of this too today!

It is these latter two systems that have spread themselves to the west (and in India), and all too often by people whose primary concern is feathering their nests. Bhakti is not as important a part of these systems as it is of the Gita's concept of yoga, so it is quite easy to cut it out and prepare a more easily marketable product.
    So does it mean tat wat the commercial Yoga instructors teach is the Kriya Yoga?
    -I've changed my ID now!!-

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Misconception and Misuse of Yoga by the west

-deleted-

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

They treat this as a body enhancing exercises, they don’t teach the essence of bhakthi Yoga, Gnana yoga and karma yoga! Has any one noticed such misconception?
    The Yoga practiced in the west actually has very little to do with the Yoga of which you're speaking. They are completely different systems, with very different origins. It might be useful to quickly summarise the differences before we get into a discussion of each of the systems.

Dear Aravindhan,

Correct, but it is very sad to see Yoga being mis interpreted in west, if any of you have sky Digital, pls watch Channel 828, it is called 'AsthaTV' , there they show quite of lot Swamiji's teaching Yoga, excellent teachings!

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, but it is very sad to see Yoga being mis interpreted in west, if any of you have sky Digital, pls watch Channel 828, it is called 'AsthaTV' , there they show quite of lot Swamiji's teaching Yoga, excellent teachings!
    What are you doing yourself to correct it? Comming here and crying aiyoo, aiyoo?

It is not at all a new subject that we westerners don't know anything about India and Hinduism and all the other things that ejected in India. Also we may be ignorant about her. But all the Indians who dwell in the west what are you doing to educate us? Rice, curry chutney and garlic chicken ... we know all these things. We also spend some money to educate poor children also in India.

But what are you doing yourself to explain us about India?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think, there are two types of youga - the money making type and the free type.

The Indians brought the first type to the west to make money - about 300 dollars for 3 lessons kind.

The free type - the mystical one, which is difficult, is left in india only to be talked about by those who what to use words like 'great indian stuff for the world'. Even the Indians don't understand that 2nd type of youga. What you demanding here, Mr Sivajayan?
    Araitha Maavai Araithal, Iditha Maavai Idithal,
    Avitha Maavai Avithal, Kindal, Kilaral, Mudithal!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:05 pm Post deleted?

Could you tell me why you have deleted my Post? This Forum allowed people to discuss freely in the past. You have no problem in posting the promotion of Aryan/sanskrit culture. You forgot 98% Indians are Dravidians, and they have every right to question Aryan/sanskrit culture. I noticed this Forum has become a mouth piece of Brahminists and it is a shame. The same people who live in America enjoy every right of free speech but they want to deny the same right to vast majoprity of Indian Dravidians. I hope Dravidianists reject this policy and demand for equal Access. Today you deny our rights, and remember tomorrow your rights will be denied.

Post Thanks / Like
    yoga in terms of its benifits can be broadly classified into i) for Physical well being, ii) For mental well being (the former 2 are related) and iii)spiritual well being

What attracts the people in West is the first 2 and not the last one, which is engulfed in mystery and dogmatism. The first 2 forms does deliver benifits, I have personally seen people who have practised yoga for decades, they are in excellent health even in their seventies.

In that sense it is just like jogging/physical exercise. As long as it benifits let us use it, rather than saying, 'to benifit from the exercises you got pray to that specific god, in that specific manner etc etc' this dragging of god may have been a force to make people to do some yoga thanks to the fear of god in us. So let us seperate sensible yoga from the mystism and kick of dogmatism, bhakthi yoga or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Madhuk: Kindly re-read the posting guidelines for this Forum in the Do's and Dont's thread.

Discussions on Aryan/Dravidan divides are not acceptable. This Forum is Indian History and Culture, which includes everything from the Indus valley to the Mughals to Kushwant Singh. There is no such agenda as propaganda of any one particulat aspect of this glorious culture.

Pls also note that such references to caste or races, as made in your post are not acceptable.

Also please note that this is no platform for you to "fight" for your rights. Nor are we proposing to have an election here for you to canvass votes with your "politician-style" speeches.
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:05 pm Post deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by madhuk
    Could you tell me why you have deleted my Post? This Forum allowed people to discuss freely in the past. You have no problem in posting the promotion of Aryan/sanskrit culture. You forgot 98% Indians are Dravidians, and they have every right to question Aryan/sanskrit culture. I noticed this Forum has become a mouth piece of Brahminists and it is a shame. The same people who live in America enjoy every right of free speech but they want to deny the same right to vast majoprity of Indian Dravidians. I hope Dravidianists reject this policy and demand for equal Access. Today you deny our rights, and remember tomorrow your rights will be denied.
    (*yawn*) sad, uninteresting, frustrated post.....!
    -I've changed my ID now!!-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast