Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Recipies please

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish Recipies please

Hi everyone,
    My husband and I are new to fish meaning we are just trying to get into seafood.After trying to get into it we realised that we found it difficult to overcome the fishy smell of seafood.Just cant get used to it.I have heard about the healthy aspects of fish and would definitely like to try it out more.I would really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction as to what kind of fish to buy (We live in the US) and also give me some nice and easy recipies to follow.
    Mrs.Mano,Bhargavi mam.. I have read with interest the recipies you have posted all along.The varities of recipies you post just boggles the mind.Please advice me on this.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this mean that no one eats fish much?

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry cannot help i am a veggie....

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We buy:
    Salmon(from american grocery stores or farmer's market), king fish(fresh from farmer's market or frozen from indian grocery stores), Butter fish(from american grocery stores), shrimps(frozen from american stores or farmer's market)....... I think thats all the seafood we use here in our US kitchen! In India we use a variety of seafood, but here I cannot find any of those. Indian stores have a lot of varieties in their freezer section, but I am only satisfied with their king fish.

Well, I fry the king fish, bake, make biriyani, or make curry with coconut milk.
    I roast the shrimps or make biriyani.
    I fry or grill the butter fish.
    I fry, grill, or bake the salmon.

I do the frying on my outside grill-side burner to avoid the smell. If the weather is friendly, I do all my fish cooking outside.

Thats all I remember now.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salmon is one fish I've never been able to enjoy because of it strong flavour... I usually buy Vanjiram or they call it Batang here in Singapore... I make curry or shallow fry it... If it's very fleshy, I make fish tikka or finger fish... Will post the recipes if req...

've tried leather jacket as well...pretty good for the grill...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    try making fish cutlet with Vanjiram, it doesn't smell much and it is lovely. I can give you recipe for prawn and coconut fry if you want
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys..but what is vanjaram called in the US???!!!Anyone know?Would love the recipies for my collection though.
    I dont think I'll cook shrimp(prawns)My husband doesnt like the way it looks .

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ssanjinika,

As far as the smell of the fish is concerned, I don't know if u're already doing this - but you can try rubbing the fish with a mix of rock salt and haldi before washing it prior to cooking. Even though you don't plan to make prawns, the same thing works with prawns as well. Just add the rock salt and haldi to the shelled and de-viened prawns. Nicely rub them altogether so that it gets a little slimy and rinse well under running water.

I usually find that this eliminates the 'fishy' smell almost completely once the fish or prawns are cooked.

My mum-in-law even adds some lemon to clean the fish, but that u can take as optional.

Hope this helps.

Thattai

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dev,

i always make fish for my husband ( i dont eat fish), so when i made salmon, he too felt that salmon had a strong flavor. then i heard from my friend that if you bake salmon, it really comes out well. so i marinated salmon ( cut into small pieces) with chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, salt, pepper powder and ginger garlic paste and baked it in the oven for 30 mts in 400 F. it came out like fried fish ( not even a single drop of oil) and my hubby loved it. he said it tasted very good..try it, may be you"ll like it

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, i have tried king fish, tilapia, pomfret, star butter fish, spanish mackeral, blue gill, flounder etc. per my hubby, all were good except spanish mackeral. For blue gill, we say karimeen in kerala which is a very ppular fish. star butter fish was good when fried. Flounder is also good, but expensive. let me know if you guys have tried any other fish?

Anju

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast