View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 84 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    //VAAZUM POZHUDHELLAM ADHAIYE PAADU
    VAANAM PERIDHENDRU VAAZUM PANN PAADU//

Dear Balaji,
    So far I thought the these lines as follows..

PAADUM POZUTHELLAM ATHAIYE PAADU
    MAANAM PERIDHENDRU VAAZUM PANNPAADU

Am I wrong?
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    //VAAZUM POZHUDHELLAM ADHAIYE PAADU
    VAANAM PERIDHENDRU VAAZUM PANN PAADU//

Dear Balaji,
    So far I thought the these lines as follows..

PAADUM POZUTHELLAM ATHAIYE PAADU
    MAANAM PERIDHENDRU VAAZUM PANNPAADU

Am I wrong?
    Joe dear

You are right

Its Paadum &
    Maanam only !

& what a song ! Was it a prelude to Srilankan tamil cause ?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Thanks Thiru, Balaji & Joe.

Thiru,

It was not my intention to question the veracity of your statement regarding MMSP. As for as I knew, this movie did not have a 100 day run in any of the centres. It was released on Pongal Day of 1978 and in Chennai, it was the first Tamil movie to be released in both Devi & Devi Paradise (probably the last movie too) and two other theatres, which I don't remember. If my memory serves me right it was removed after 50 days run in Devi complex and other theatres.In fact it ran for 50 days in Devi and regarding D.Paradise, I am 200% sure that it did not run beyond Mar 17th,1978, for the simple reason NT's " Ennai Pol Oruvan" was released in D.Paradise on 18th March, which means MMSP must have had a max run of 63 days.Like you, I too don't have a proof but this was the real situation. Regarding Madurai, I didn't mean it should run max in Madurai. What I meant was in spite of Madurai being his citadel and inspite of people knowing that this was going to be his last movie, still it could not strech beyond 70 -75 day run. Again if my memory serves me right,Andhaman Kadhali released on 26th Jan,1978 was the first 100 Day movie if that calender year.

Regards
    Mr.Murali Srinivas, you are exactlu correct.

'Maduraiyai Meetta Sundara Pandiyan' did not run for 100 days anywhere. And it did not released in both Devi & Devi Paradise, but only in Devi Paradise and run 56 days only. ( It was run for 50th day poster, because MGR came to poer at that time and it was his last movie).

After MMSP was lifted from the theatre, a Hindi movie was released just for one week at Devi Paradise and then that Hindi movie was shifted to Devi Bala, because Nadigar Thilagam's "Ennaippol Oruvan" was released in DP on 18th March 1978.

You are right. 'Andhaman Kadhali' is the first 100th Day movie in that year 1978 (at Midland, now Jayapradha) followed by 'Thiyagam' (March 4th) as Silver Jubilee at Shanthi.

MGR's last 100th day movie was "Indru Pol Endrum vAzga", but there were some flops before that, like "Oorukku Uzaippavan" and "Navarathnam".

Post Thanks / Like
    saradhaaji,
    what about 'Ithayakkani'..was it a hit or average?

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel it is suitable to re-produce my post here:

From the very begining of 50s, MGR planned very well to use his cinema fame to his lift in politics. He decided Cinema is the correct way to approach people to get success in politics. Thatswhy he acted only POSITIVE rolls which will give more effect among the people. So, he carefully choosed his rolls, and made some changes wherever necessary to keep up his image.

He was very careful in maitained his image by acting in movies with:
    non-drinking
    non-smoking
    not in villain charectors
    not acting as bad man
    always helping poors
    mother sentiments
    praising diologues by others (like "neengathaan thalaivar')
    praising dialogues by old ladies (like' mavaraasaa nee nalla irukkanum')
    Thus he planned well to use his cine fame as a ladder for his success in his political carreer, and kept the same formula until his last movie, without taking care about the criticisms by educated people, because his main aim is to cover the illeterates in remote areas throughout Tamil Nadu, who started to beleive cinema is a real one.

When he found himself that he is lack of acting skill, he put his full concentration in other aspects, mainly in songs, camera views, dream scenes with richness, stunt scenes etc. Particularly he gave more importance for the songs in his movies, with the farmola of one 'thaththuva paadal', one song praising about him (like 'naan aanaiyittal' and 'naan alavodu rasipavan..edhaiyum alavindri koduppavan' etc), duet songs with vareities of tunes (thatswhy still we can hear his songs as fresh ones).

The main difference between MGR and Shivaji is:

Shivaji always think that people should see him as charectors as Kattabomman, V.O.C, Prestige Padmanabhan, Barristor Rajinikanth, S.P.Choudhry like that, and they should not see him as Ganesan in the screen.

But regarding MGR always think, whether he plays King roll or Begger role, but people should see him as MGR only and not as charectors.

In politics Shivaji did not take it as serious, just used it as pickle, whereas it was the main food for MGR.

Shivaji always took wrong decitions in wrong times in politics, and he did not aimed any big posts and he never planned for that. Thatswhy he faded in politics, when MGR became a successful leader.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe....

'Idhayakkani' is a hit movie and run more than 100 days in several theatres in Tamil Nadu.

(We can see 100th day shield in Sathyam, Maharani theatres at Chennai).

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was very careful in maitained his image by acting in movies with:
    non-drinking
    non-smoking
    not in villain charectors
    not acting as bad man
    always helping poors
    mother sentiments
    praising diologues by others (like "neengathaan thalaivar')
    praising dialogues by old ladies (like' mavaraasaa nee nalla irukkanum')
    True

I ve heard that his biggest motive in life is to keep everybody away from the state of being poor ...

His gifts were not just dhotis n sarees .... they were sewing machine, rickshaw and many more just by saying that work is god ! and urging ppl to work !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably my first post (surprisingly) as I never thought MGR as a technician but as a sole Politician which proved to be wrong yesterday when I watched Naadodi Mannan. More shock came when I saw that the producer/director of the movie was MGR himself.

Alongside groucho, I wanted to raise some questions. Surprisngly, the movie had a different set (age) of crew during the opening and closing credits of the movie. I was told that MGR took 10 yrs (?) to complete this movie due to financial constraints. Do you guys have more info about this movie ? Is this movie MGR's directorial debut ? How long did it took for him to complete this movie and were there any changes in the storyline during the delay-period (the role of P.S. Veerapa is still a myth for me). Was Banumathy's death in the movie part of initial screenplay ? I know I am asking for more, but sure you guys will have something in store for me.

I heard that the movie was a grand success for MGR even though released after a long time. The noticeable thing is that the the crew of the movie got older in the second half but the camera quality and the color (B/W - 1st half, Eastmen color - 2nd half) got improved.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalavanthan
    Probably my first post (surprisingly) as I never thought MGR as a technician but as a sole Politician which proved to be wrong yesterday when I watched Naadodi Mannan. More shock came when I saw that the producer/director of the movie was MGR himself.

Alongside groucho, I wanted to raise some questions. Surprisngly, the movie had a different set (age) of crew during the opening and closing credits of the movie. I was told that MGR took 10 yrs (?) to complete this movie due to financial constraints. Do you guys have more info about this movie ? Is this movie MGR's directorial debut ? How long did it took for him to complete this movie and were there any changes in the storyline during the delay-period (the role of P.S. Veerapa is still a myth for me). Was Banumathy's death in the movie part of initial screenplay ? I know I am asking for more, but sure you guys will have something in store for me.

I heard that the movie was a grand success for MGR even though released after a long time. The noticeable thing is that the the crew of the movie got older in the second half but the camera quality and the color (B/W - 1st half, Eastmen color - 2nd half) got improved.

Cheers
    Alavanthan,
    Yes,Naadodi mannan was MGR's debut movie as a director,producer .I am not sure how did it take,but surely a long time and MGR invested all his earnings so far .Many openly said this movie will end MGR's carrier due to the finaicial struggle and delay .Here comes MGR's famous quote "Naadodi mannan Thotral MGR oru Naadodi ,Jeyiththaal Mannan" and after Nadodi mannan release MGR became mannan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alavanthan,
    Hope you know 'Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban' also directed by MGR after a long gap.