View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 83 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Commendable performance in Pallandu vazga

Makkal Thilagam takes up the challenge to reform 5 different criminals and convicts…..

And its PALLANDU VAAZGA , a remake of Dho Aanken Bara haath……from Shantaram……

Its mission impossible to reform criminals…….

One has to study each character and strategise yourself for achieving this arduous task…..

Mind you, each one will view you from his own perspective and you will have to read his mind to counter him…..

Not everyone is a born criminal…..most of them become one such due to circumstances …….and when the whole world goes against them…….

Go to any prison and we will see multiple personalities ….some hardcore criminals…some undergoing the trauma of rigorous imprisonment …….

Just to give the audience, a taste of what kind of criminals they are , the director, quickly runs through a flashback of them …..One will be terrified to see the background of all the characters….each one undergoing rigorous imprisonment for having killed, looted and committed various crimes…..

MGR plays mind game with each character…….Unlike a normal Prison controller, MGR choses the other way…….BE SYMPATHETIC …..SHOW MERCY AND BE KIND ……RESULTS WILL COME AUTOMATICALLY……

So even when Manohar ( one of the convicts ) tries to kill him …..MGR tackles him swiftly ( the whole theatre will scream……THALAIVARE!!…PAARTHU…PINAALA KATHEE !! ) and stuns him by giving the same knife to him asking him to use it again…..the trembling hands of a nervous Manohar will be the first clear message that this Officer is somewhat different….not an ordinary Warden…..

Next, MGR choses a barren land and instructs the 5 guys to create a garden out of it……as the gang refuses to oblige his instructions, MG himself takes up the challenge and does his job with customary sincererty….. this makes the 5 surprised again by the dedication shown……

Like this, through small interesting incidents, Makkal thilagam makes the convicts understand him and a gradual change of heart happens ……

MG also inducts discipline onto them…..by narrating them , stories of great personalities and quotable quotes ……..

ONDRAY KULAM ENDRU PAADUVOM….. ORUVANAY DEVAN ENDRU POTRUVOM…. Is one such ……

Seated on a floor with a small table before him and a book , he starts singing the song…..
    being watched by the notorious group ……

An ageing Makkal thilagam still looks impressive in this song , with calm and poise looks ( oru saathvigamana mugathodu paaduvar ) like a man possessed, with a single minded motive to reform the prisoners…….

Always his movies had mind-blowing and thought provoking lyrics …..I am captivated by the lyrics from this song :

Ondre kulam endru paaduvom
    Oruvane devan endru potruvom
    Annai idaya maaga anbu vadiva maaga
    Vandhu vazhi kaata vendum endru vananguvom

Makkal thilagam never showed animosity towards any particular religion or caste…..infact I can emphatically say that he followed a secular path……he never pretended to be a so called hardcore atheist Dravidian ( DMK ) ….he had also touched about existence of God in Deivathai and also during the song Kovil endraal gopuram kaatum deivam vendum angay ( from Naan ungal veetu pillai in Pudhiya Bhoomi )

The first charanam had the following :

Paavam endra kallaraikku pala vazhi
    Endrum dharma devan kovilukku oru vazhi

The greatness of MGR lies from the fact that he always gave a positive message with conviction……always portrayed characters which followed the path of righteousness ….

In another charanam :

Kadavulilay karunaidhanai kaanalaam
    Andha karunayilay kadavulayum kaanalaam !! ( Is he saying ANBAY SIVAM ?! )

Also, he never missed an opportunity to mention about his mentor Arignar Anna ( this was a trend he followed for long ) …..and this comes during the second charanam :

Idaya deivam namadhu anna thondrinaar
    Avar endrum vaazum kolgai deepam yetrinaar

The hindi version saw the Shantaram character die at the end…..but had the same end would have been adopted in tamil, I shudder to think the extent of damage to theatres as MG fans would have made the theatres into smithereens..
    Infact the first question a typical MGR fan will ask will be …Namma Vadhiyaar indha padathil saga maataray ?? and then only he will watch the movie……MG’s image was like a Phantom…the ghost who walks and never has end…..

During the climax, the convicts become so attached to him that they start praying for his recovery from an accident……

this movie was released after he came out of DMK but surprisingly , had few punch dialogues…..the theme was very focused towards setting the Convicts right and give them a new lease of life……

MG’s movies always had a simple formulae :

One introduction song
    One song teasing the heroene
    One duet song ( at times 2 or 3 depending on the number of heroenes !! )
    One kolgai parappu song
    One thought provoking song

IMHO, this song ranks on par with the likes of Kann pona pokillay kaal pogalaama , acham enbadhu madamai ada , Unnai arindhaal nee unnai arindhaal….

Not to forget the splendid rendition by KJY……. From Viziyay kathai ezudhu, MG gave chances to KJY frequently for duets and solos

This song is another gem of a composition from the veteran K.V.Mahadevan …..

Poivaa nadhialaye is another hit song in this movie……….

A commendable performance by Makkal thilagam ……

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder why this thread is idle ! Mr. Murali Srinivas, request you flood this thread also with your informative posts

MGR is another legend . I admire him a lot

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Nakeeran,

It was kind of you to say good words. I will post here but before that let me complete NT's political innings in that thread. Hope you are following it.

Again I must and appreciate that you have a wide knowledge in many subjects and I read your posts in many threads. Unfortunately contoversy always seems to follow you. But after reading all your posts in cinema threads(including Mohanlal's), I was surprised by your Aswathama Athaa! Kunjaraga scene description and argument with Raghu and arbitration by S.Balaji. Good work.Keep it up

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Dear Nakeeran,

It was kind of you to say good words. I will post here but before that let me complete NT's political innings in that thread. Hope you are following it. Regards
    Thank you very much Murali Srinivas Sir

Though I am not posting much in NT thread, I am one of those silent participants in NT thread.

As far as NT is concerned, my approach is

KATRAVARGAL IRUKKUM SABAYIL, KETPADHE MEL .

I have not missed any post of yours & others.

Its a big learning experience for me on NT of the 50s, 60s & 70s.

Unfortunately the movies which I saw of NT were all of the mid 70s where I believe the Drama group comprising Major, Vietnam veedu Sundaram, P.Madhavan all in a way changed NT's style to that of shouting heavily during songs & scenes which I thought was very sad

Now I am reformed on seeing all the posts of yours, S.Balaji, Joe, Kalnayak, Groucho070 & Mr. Mohanram.

Pl continue your excellent contribution to NT thread.

I am sure, you have extensive knowledge on MGR also as NT & MGR are inseparable

Thats why I could see more info about MGR also in your NT's political analysis This only made me to request you to come here and also contribute on MGR. I know for sure, you have tons of info on MGR also

Pl make a start once you are through with NT's political analysis

Post Thanks / Like

Makkal thilagam with children

Recollecting Makkal thilagam’s songs for children – the immediate song which comes to our mind will be Sirithu vaaza vendum , pirar sirkka vaanzdhidaadhe…….

There are other songs like Chinna payale chinna payale , seidhi keladaa ……. Nalla nalla pillaigalai nambi & for grown ups – Thoongadhey thambi thoongadhey …….

Amongst his various on-screen portrayals like a righteous citizen, good samaritan , a champion of poor, a loving son ( mostly to his mother ) , a caring friend…..

MG also played the role of a noble younger brother to T.K.Bagavathi in NAMNAADU

Released in 1969

TKB , as we all know, part of the famous TK brothers , T.K. Shanmugam , the very foundation of tamil cinema artists who also gave a precious gem – ULAGANAYAGAN KAMAL HASSAN… ( no wonder Avvai Shanmugi was named in fond memory of his mentor TKS )

TKB - a faithful employee of S.V.Rangarao ( it’s a perfect portrayal of the old faithfulness & sincerety - typical of a South Indian mindset , that of very loyal to his Boss as integrity is of utmost importance more than the money …….) For TKB, SVR is the most respectable person , but in reality SVR actually will be a camouflaged personality…..Does everything behind the screens like looting public money, adulteration & all other typical villain stuff……

While on every occasion whenever a common man suffers, MG points out and accuses SVR but this bold approach doesn’t get appreciated by TKB…as the loyalty towards his Boss comes primarily …..Few instances will be shown on the growing enmity between SVR & MG on principles, various social issues……..

The initial scenes were built around the close knit family, the respect for his elder brother , at the same time, the youth and fearless attitude towards anarchy, disorder, corruption, lawlessness ….the Director quickly builds an interesting story & sets up at a nice pace

A stage comes when MG openly antagonizes SVR which results in loss of job and this upsets TKB very much more because it happened to be MGR's salary day and he was just distributing dresses to the 2 children and to his Anni . So TKB chides MGR to be patient and give respect to elders and be diplomatic. A stubborn MGR counters TKB saying that he will give respect to those elders who really are good and noble ones . An angry TKB now refuses to have his dinner even as his wife Pandaribhai pleads him. When Pandaribhai asks MGR , he also refuses to have. Now finally she gos to the children and they also reject the dinner.

Now Pandaribhai gets upset with everyone and screams that noone in the house listens to her for which TKB tells her that if periavanga ( MGR ) pecha kekkalanaa , chinnavanga eppadi kepaanga . Now MGR runs to the children and shows his TENDER HEART …. Kuzandhaigalai appadiye kattidondu solvar
    Eppavum Amma Appa pecha kettu nadakanum neenga.

MGR , NOW REALIZING THE SITUATION CAJOLES THE CHILDREN THROUGH A LOVELY SONG :

NALLA PEYARAI VAANGA VENDUM PILLAIGALE ![/b][/color]Such lyrics only have made me see MG movies time & again without any boredom !!

NAM NAADU ENNUM THOTATHILE NAALAI MALARUM MULLAIGALE

The little master of tfm, the evergreen enchanting MSV was apt to the occasion….Sensing the mood of the song, he asks TMS to sing in a gentle manner like that of someone who has to preach the children ! At least MGR should have written 25 % of his will to TMS as he was one of the prime beneficiaries of TMS’s scintillating voice modulation !! Observe the sincerety & commitment to the song here by TMS !
    Whenever MSV feels that a particular sentence deserves a better treatment, he repeats it with a subtle piece of improvisation & this song was another example to that as TMS modulates & gives precise stress to some words like Paalootum annai aval Nadamaadum deivam…..( here he gives the impact of a motherly affection )
    Panivootum thanthai ( in a mild manner ! )
    The entire song was composed using Harmonium, tabla, bangoos & flute ! I don’t think MSV would have sweat much for this composition as it must have been another day at office

The Charanam lyrics are one gone deep into my thoughts forever :

PAALOOTUM ANNAI, AVAL NADAMAADUM DEIVAM
    ARIVOOTUM THANDHAI NAL VAZIKAATUM THALAIVAN
    THUNAIYAAGA KONDU NEE NADAI PODU INDRU
    URUVAGUM NALLA EDHIR KALAM INDRU

Some good words flow all through the song like KURAL POLA VAAZU !

MEYAANA ANBE DEIVEEGAMAAGUM ( while covering Ondre kulam endru , I mentioned that never did MG say that there was no God ….MG always played safe by saying words like Kaakai midhakum oligalile, kadalil thavazum alaigaliley, iraivan iruppadhai naan ariven ! ) is another example of MGR slightly touching God

He never wasted any opportunity to praise his political mentor …… Here is another sentence which covers his Anna :

VIZI POLA ENNI NAM MOZI KAAKKA VENDUM
    THAVARANA PERKU NER VAZIKAATA VENDUM
    JANA NAAYAGATHIL NAAM ELLORUM MANNAR
    THENNATTU GANDHI ANAALIL SONNAAR
    !

As the song nears it end, TKB gets back to his cheerful mood, joins the family with MGR & they all eat together !

Another interesting aspect of Makkal thilagam which I noticed was that he was always fond of children ( last week I watched Enga veettu pillai & loved watching the scenes when the tough MGR casually throws his left hand & carry the tiny tot with all the cheer ! )… During this song, for all the tantrums of the children , MG cajoles them, plays around with them & ensures that they eat their food which is being watched by TKB & PB anxiously & gradually reconcile that their dear younger brother is also back to his cheerful self ! He also makes the children repeat what he sings !

What motivated me to write about this song is for the simple reason - what we used to come across in our day to day life …..somebody getting upset during the course of the day while the other will persuade but finally everything gets back to normal & the old cheer is back ! The director in a nice manner bonds the whole family together at the end of the song by making all forget that unpleasant beginning , patch up spontaneously eat together the supper & look forward to the next day. This is what nicely portrayed in this song which also adds some nice lessons for children about parents, discipline, Godliness

This movie was not short of controversy as I understand , it was based on the then existed outrageous rampant corruption prevailed in TN that period….…The response to this movie made the then administrators scary of him which eventually paved the way for his exit soon..

One of the reasons for MGR’s success story was the crisp & on dot screen play , narrated in the simplest manner possible to reach the common man in the villages.

MGR plays the role of a honest clerk in the Mayor's office.When the election falls due for the Mayor’s post , all political bigwigs of a party fight among themselves for being in race & one group rope him in as a compromise candidate……. Since he had clean reputation for being straight forward & kind natured…the results go in favour of him as well ( did MG ever lose anything in life ! ). Much to their shock ,he does not accede to their whims / wishes , but even goes to the extent of nabbing the trio for being corrupt.But being a novice,besides the trio were more seasoned on political games, he easily gets trapped into their hands.By creating an alibi, they pin him down showing that he was corrupt through a sequence of events …in the process , MG resigns…but remains furious though TKB warns him that those 3 – SVR, Asokan & Manohar ?? are mighty powerful & influential & its better to stay away from them. But when TKB himself realizes the truth , he gives green signal to MG to clear up the mess.

The movie ends on a typical MG familiar way……the culprits & the wicked getting punished & the good & noble prevail ……………..

TKB was one of the veterans artists of yesteryears who pioneered the drama industry & then laid foundation stone for tamil cinema industry…

I really admire the way he portrayed a new Ravana in Sampoorna Ramayanam, displaying his musical skills, a gentle warm looks…TKB gets introduced as a majestic & musical genius Ravana in this movie …while everyone shoot their queries on the ragas & their timing, he answers in his own inimitable casual manner & the entire movie itself is a classic ! However, those who had seen the movie will immediately call for that Barathan character which was splendidly portrayed by the greatest actor of our times – Nadigar thilagam !.....Oops …let me control my NT worshipping atleast here

It was a surprise ( rather shock ) to see TKB playing a villain role in Sabatham wherein he plays a dual role….while the good character dies early, the wicked one does all the manipulations & cunningness up to the fag end of the movie !

The same TKB was all all grace in Sivagangai seemai , a movie which followed Veera pandiya kattabomman , the story of Marudhu Pandiyas …………

Senior Member Regular Hubber umaramesh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    VIZHI POOLA ENNE NAM MOZHI KAKKA VENDUM
    THVARA PERKU NAYEER VAZHI KATTA VENDUM
    MANATHOODU KOBAM NEE VALARTHALUM PAVAM
    MEIYANNA ANBE THEIVEEGA MAGAM.

soft and gentle advice. I think we should put all these lyrics to Tamil text book and let the children understand the importance.
    Good lyrics are ignored because it got related to movies?
    MGR did remarkable job in terms of giving right message through his songs. one more important thing is he placed it in right scene so that he can co-orelate with movie story.

One of the main factor for MSV composistion is he will allow lyric to reach the people with simple tune and orchestra. Never impose unnecessary to show his presence.

TMS mastered so many songs in low pitch(comparing with normal rendition), example yaar andha nilalu/enge aval enrae manam/thannerille thamaraippu. In this song he sang very gently and adopting to the situation well.

AFter reading balaji analysis I will feel something new to the song even though I heard the same so many times earlier. I felt the same way for this song also. Thanks balaji.

regards
    ramesh

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though I do not watch MGR flicks these days, I truly respect him as a man who charted his way, his future, and truly lived to the saying/song "Ninaittathai Mudippavan".

Like the 'myth' that NTs films never did well (thanks to folks in NT thread, an eye opener about Box office performance of NT films) there is another 'myth' that MGR can't act.

Of course, his calibre is not that of NT. Nobody has NTs calibre till todate. But MGR was a capable actor of his time. I'd cite a few films where he gave powerful performance.

1. Pasam - You'll never see this MGR again. There is only two scene, I believe, where you see the usual handsome MGR. After that, its Hamlet. Very complex character and MGR delivered it well. If I am not mistaken Fans were outraged when he died at the end. Can anyone share their experience here?

2. Petralthan Pillaiya (is this a remake of any other language film?) - MGR again does a great masala performance, plus one of the most dramatic effort towards the end. Powerful film.

3. Padagotti - Yes, this is a very commercial film, but watch him during "Tharaimel Pirakkavaittan" and "Kodutthathellam Koduttahn". I mean, he really cares for what is going. His romantic scenes with Saroja Devi (Aiyodi Sokki!) is unparalleled (except NT of course).

4. Nam Naadu - I think Balaji did a write up earlier. All you have to say to my dad is, "they are playing your favourite movie today" and he will grin and say, "Nam Nadu". He's a MGR fanatic anyway.

5. Ninatthathu Mudippavan - Coming back to my dad - this is his least liked MGR film. But I like the second role, the bad guy role. Nice role reversal in this movie where Asogan plays a cop, good guy. The other MGR is bad all the way. Unfortunately this not one of his most remembered film.

6. Nadodi Mannan - Going back a decade. Here, MGR lents his presence mostly, and putting a stamp that no one dares to challenge - action.

7. Anbe Vaa - Even if you are playing a 'jolly' role, you have to do it well. I can't imagine the likes of SSR in this kind of movie. Its hard work, and audience think that he is having fun. He looks like he is having fun, but that is performance folks.

8. Urimai Kural - A Sridhar-directed flick. The Story is strong and while there are plenty of MGR-ism, he still is an actor who served the story, and served it well.

9. Naan Yeen Piranthen - Very, very understated performance. He does not do around the tree romance scenes. He is a married man with kids. No MGRism, all plain performance, great performance.

10. Oli vilakku. The favourite of my brothers and I. I don't know why but this must be our most watched MGR movie. I don't know why. It has to be his performance, so I have to include this in the ten best.

There.

Another thing.

Does anyone know the exact reason behind the MGR/MRR shooting incident?
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, this thread had made me to be interested in MGR again.

Thanks to some earlier interest and Murali sar and co-NT fans for pouring the fuel in my fire, I have been greatly interested in the political movement that involved MGR and his peers.

So, what did I do yesterday? I watched Madhurai Meeta Sundara Pandiyan. All I can say is Whoa!

Not that it is a great movie. It should have been a masterpiece in the same vein as Nadodi Mannan or Ayirattil Oruvan, but if not for:

1. MGR

He seem visibly old - not helped by bad make-up and more attrocious wigs that can make Lex Luthor blush. He could have made adjustment to the age of the caracter.

2. The very unsubtle political undertones.

This is not a bad point actually. I enjoyed it, because I was comparing to what was happening to politics at that time. But more intrigue and less political dialogue would have helped.

3. Slow mid section.

I remember watching this with an aunt of mine, who is an MGR fanatic. She dozed of in the middle. Film started out fast and furious and started lagging in the middle. Could it be because of the stop/start production problem (Balaji? Murali-sar?)

4. Lack of certain realism.

I know we should not be talking about realism when it concerns that type of movie and time. But even for that time, the fact that a single 'stip' of beard can make elder brother can't recognise his younger brother. Come on! I bet the audience then would have groaned even then.

Well. Those are poor points. Now, the greater points.

1. MGR

Yes. Him again. 60 years of age notwithstanding, the man COULD FIGHT LIKE A 20 YEAR OLD. Witness the fight scene in the underground getaway. He slashes the bloody sword at the bad guy (Justine?) like there's no tomorrow. He even cuts up the bad guy in more than two places. The most brutal MGR I had ever seen, yeeeeeaaaaay! (Must have been thinking about MuKa as motivation). And then, another battle in the palace with Veerappa...so much so that you actually start to pity PSV.

2. Cast

Its a dream casting. Nambiar, Veerappan, SV Suppiah, Kannan, Sagasranaam (can't spell his name correctly), and Tenggai for comedy and for babes, you get Latha, Pathmapriya. Nambiar really steals the show ( he disappears halfway, must be during his Sabarimalai trip).

3. Songs.

Definitely classic, especially Amutha Tamizhil and Thendralile. Veeramagan Pooraada by TMS will get your spirit up and running.

4. Climax war scene.

Grand for its time. Amazing amount of animal (horses and elephants) and extras (thousands, I think). The editing work is choppy, but it is still good for its time. You really get to go inside, in the middle of the battlefield.

As I said, it could have been a grand spectacle if not for some of the weakness. Actually, I was expecting a crappy picture (I am watching after 16 years), but it turned out nice and entertaining.

Now, I got questions:

1. Was this one of MGRs stop halfway - start again production?

2. When was it exactly released? Before election?

3. Who is the actual director? Credit says MGR, though it thanked K. Shankar for assistance?

More background info would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am checking out other pages of this thread.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I have to do the reviving job here.

So, here is my query. Has anyone read MSS Pandiyan's The Image Trap book?

I am desparately seeking for that book. Does anyone Malaysia-based, know where to find that book?

Post Thanks / Like

MGR-KAVIGNAR-MSV combo with a lovely song

Puratchi Thalaivar - Kavignar , both in reel as well as real life had had vibrant streaks of friendship and occasional spats as well. Still both, each gifted with strong individuality, understood , recognized and respected each one’s talent.

I believe , for 2 situational songs in Aayirathil Oruvan , MG , after not being satisfied with lyrics from others including Valee, finally had to call Kavignar ( despite the rift ) & Kavignar, the true artist that he was, also obliged with Adho Andha paravai pola & Odum megangale !

Amongst the MG-Kavignar combo , I am captivated to NAADU ADHAI NAADU - Nadoee………..
    MG lip-synchs this song like a typical Nadodee with harmonium hanging around his neck .This is another movie sans any political message or any hidden agenda but a pure commercial movie with a simple love story …

Saroja devi first paired with MGR in NADODEE MANNAN ……..

This pair had acted 26 movies !

Coincidentally the same pair also appeared later in NADODEE

Released in 1966

However, the movie starts with Barathi as the first lover but dies earlier

MGR , being deprived of his ancestors’ wealth by VKR wanders around in streets , comes across a blind SD , whose eyes gets impaired in an accident….. Pitied by her condition, MGR takes care of her. In due course, they understand each other & the resultant love makes MG resolve to restore her eyes by singing songs, collects money in small small lots & finally achieves his mission ! Though Nambiar was just a fill up to complete the cast for Villain& also plays the intermediary who helps in arranging for the eye operation , the focus remains on the eye restoration only ….Infact, MG himself occasionally jokes at SD & takes care of the comical part also

One such day when the pair goes to streets singing songs in pursuit of collecting money to achieve their objective , this song appears …..

The usage of NAADU both as a noun & verb shows Kavignar’s gifted ability …He actually plays with the word ‘Naadu’ & indeed its a real beauty.

Another interesting aspect of this song is the peculiar lyrics makes me wonder if this could be Makkal thilagam sang for Tamil Eelam way back in the 60s – NAADU ADHAI NAADU …..ADHAI NAADAVITAAL EDHU VEEDU. Though the movement was not that active in the 60s , IMO, this song has unequal merits as the pledge song for Eelam.

Reading the lyrics, this song should be a huge motivational factor for those ardent supporters of free land & freedom for them, it’s a true reflection of what they aspire for & what they strive for ….this may fit for even Palestine & Israel !! ….

Though other lyricists also gave sold songs for MG to spread his political / ethical / cultural messages , beyond doubt , some songs of Kavignar had that extraordinary ‘punch’ in his lines

In the mid 1960s, long before the struggle for Eelam was in the thoughts of Sri Lankan Tamils, Kavignar-MG must have thought about it & aptly named the movie title itself & gave a thought provoking song ….

& the movie name as well - Nadodee (The Vagabond). Kavignar’s poignant song starts with the lines:

NAADU…ADHAI NAADU….ADHAI NAADAAVITAAL…EDHU VEEDU
    VAAZUM POZHUDHELLAM ADHAIYE PAADU
    VAANAM PERIDHENDRU VAAZUM PANN PAADU

In a play on the word Naadu, which means ‘homeland’ (as a noun) and ‘reach your target ’ (as a verb), Kavignar splendidly highlights the wisdom that one’s real home is in his/her homeland. Also, nicely uses the word PANPAADU & PANN-PAADU !!

Even when I hum the lines of this particular lyric, I’m astounded by Kavignar’s mastery of thoughts, words and vision, and he writes these lines for Makkal thilagam to mouth these lines through the golden voice of TMS & very well supported by PS .

Paalaivanam enra pothum Nam Naadu
    Paarai Malai kooda Nam ellai Kodu
    Aaru Nilam Paainthu Vizhaiyadum Thottam
    Veera Samuthayame Engal Kootam

The lyrics are too striking …. that even if a dry desert happens to be our our homel, its our dear homeland & lets have borders with rock and mountains. There are rivers which flow into the fields, and lets be proud of our heroic traditions.

What follows during the final charanam are real gems :

Pasi enru Varuvoorku Virunthaha Maarum
    Pahaivar Muham Paarthu Puliyaaha Cheerum
    Nilathil Uyir Vaithu Urimai Kondaadum
    Ethirthu Varuvorai Urama Podum

Kavignar signs off with - We will provide food for those who come with hunger….. to our adversaries, we turn into tigers…. We will cherish our dear land & will make our enemies as fertilizers for our land

The situation & composition must have been cake walk for Mellisai Mannar as he had the FREEDOM TO USE HIS PET HARMONIUM !! with a flourish, MSV applies harmonium very sharply as preludes ……

And the tune & lyrics must have impressed MG a lot it seems…..as he acknowledges with AHAA for which SD also reciprocates with OHO when her turn comes !

And its harmonium everywhere during the interludes ….midway, one can hear some trumphets / military type drums but somehow the harmonium seamlessly merges with the song & resurfaces at regular intervals….One can also hear lovely usage of tabla to give speed & momentum …..

MG, the ever cheerful character, will be at his usual self to convey a very motivational song to enthuse patriotism…..However, as he was tied to the harmonium, MG couldn’t extend / stretch his hands left & right ( his usual style was curbed !!) ….Still, never short of enthusiasm, he runs around playing with ease, the harmonium …..I feel that SD was a bit over playing her reactions when she reacts for Vetri thirumaadhu nadai podum ellai !

I will be a sinner if I miss out TMS …….the one and only TMS can bring such power & force …..such a thundering impact …….The thrust he gives to every word & the subtle variation for Paadum pozudhellam adhaiye paadu…..

The eagerness & anxiety of someone longing for a land is reflected when he touches …… Adhai naadaavitaal edhu veedu
    Or for ……Vaanam peridhendru vaazum …….

Displays bravery & valour when he sings – Veerar vizi thaanzdhu nilam paarpathillai

& the fondness for one’s land is reflected when he sings – Paalai vanam endra podhum nam naadu …..

Only TMS can give such a thrust ….a committed & involved singer !

I believe TMS was not even asked to speak during the recent NT statue unveiling ceremony ….which IMO is an insult to one of the greatest assets of Tamil cinema……If at all, someone deserves to talk about Shivaji , it should be TMS first & then only others…..No, not even Karunanidhi or the next generation Rajini / Kamal / Vijay kanth …. Really disgusting to hear such igronance being displayed time & again on the great artists of yesteryears

This movie is another wonderful album for the Melody king .. combo with MGR :
    a. Androru naal idhe nilavil avan irundhaan – Another streetside song by TMS & PS – a poetic song …lovely lyrics
    b. Ulagamengum ore mozhi – TMS & PS ….. a unique composition , western type , one of my MSV all time favourites
    c. Thirumbi vaa oliye thirumbi vaa – TMS & PS again …..Looks like another composition wherein the tune came first followed by lyrics !

Each one was a super hit & being heard even today with the same enthu & interest because the silken melody effect has been coated on them !

Despite their differences, it was MG who recognized Kavignar by giving him the honour of ARASAVAI KAVIGNAR post when he assumed office as CM in 1977……….This shows what a true great personality MGR was , forgetting & forgiving the past & looking forward to renewing the relationships with friends & foes ………….