View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 32 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Moderator Diamond Hubber Thirumaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger
    So, an actor should come and

* save a kezhavi, *

* ask latha whether the maangaai she stole, is" kaayaa illai pazhamaa" (how can a mangaai be a pazham )

* wave your hand in all the directions for every song

are the real acting????

If shivaji did not drink and smoke how would one create character such as

* sinna jameen and drunkyard in vasantha maaLigai

or

* an egoistic barristor rajnikanth in Gauravam

in the world, moronic clowns????

paNdaaramA nadichittu oorukku ubathEpannittu thiriyirathuthaan nadippu????

What a waste you are thirumaaraa!
    I accept my defeat. I am a waste. You are the most intellegent who knows more about everything. Please do not spam in this thread. You can go to Rajini and Vijay's thread and talk about their meaningful movies and their acting abilities and compare them with MGR and be happy. Let the other people make some meaningful discussion over here.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stranger
    m.g.r is better
    In what?

figuring out a maangaai is kaayaa illai pazhmA?
    no...

better than guys who had done police officer role with un-buttoned kaaki shirt,pant inside the boots,t-shirt inside etc....

pandianin raajiyathil uyyalala

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I accept my defeat. I am a waste.
    Thanks!

I like a real man like you who is whole-heartedly accepting the defeat!

Take care!

Post Thanks / Like

Makkal thilagam's flair for music

Shall we analyse some of the songs that featured in Makkal thilagam’s movies …….

Its an established fact that MGR had a wonderful flair for music . This also had made legendary composers like MSV-TKR, KVM benefited to a larger extent.

Another classic example is 2 splendid compositions that Shankar Ganesh duo did for :

1.Naan yen pirandhen
    2.Idhaya veenai

From an above average standards , ShankarGanesh’s fame rose to dizzy heights after the 2 movies…..and they are still being remembered today for the above 2 movies ! and such was the extraordinary musical sense by MGR !

Rarely we have come across MGR’s songs not being popular…….

The late 60s and early 70s witnessed some incredible music from Mellisai Mannar .

KANNAN EN KAADHALAN

I restrict myself to the songs only as MGR was ahead of times on picturisation ( Makkal Thilagam did wonders despite the not so advanced stages of cinematography )…probably to overcome his limitations as an actor ( say like Shivaji ) he focused on other finer aspects of making a movie and established himself as a model for future generation. ….sheer survival instinct must have made MGR successful in life …after all when he became a dominant hero, he was already in his late 30s !

The greatness of the 2 legendary personalities MSV and IR stems from the fact that they studied the whole storyline , at times guide the Director as to how and when a song can be positioned so that it will have maximum impact which ultimately will contribute to the overall success of the movie…..such was their professional commitment ….there were instances where both had made mind boggling changes at the last minute to make a tune or a BGM more meaningful …..

There is a reason for highlighting this fact as, in this movie too , a song was needed to PROVOKE and ENTHUSE A HANDICAPPED PERSON TO STAND UP AND DANCE ….

How to make one handicapped character cheerful and stand up , dance ??

The tune, the rhythm and the background music should be so scintillating that it automatically triggers passion and enthusiasm ……..

Here comes a brilliant, imaginative composition from the LITTLE MASTER OF MELODY

PAADUVOR PAADINAAL AADA THONDRUM….

This song was finalized after several tunes by MSV and finally shorlisted and finalized by MGR……

True ….. when TMS is the singer , the pulling power of his voice will make even someone down physiologically and psychologically, to get thrilled and stand up to dance !

And when it gets associated with stalwarts like Mellisai mannar, Makkal thilagam ….its something special…….

Its no wonder that JJ will start dancing …. At times twist dance also …..

The situation ….. MGR , in a birthday party, in suit , sitting proudly with a piano and starts …….

TMS starts with somewhat like a virutham…slowly singing Paaduvor paadinaal ( a gentle piano background )

After a brief pause , there will be splendid combination of Piano and violin with tabla and drums and bangoos once again ! ( with just these support instruments MSV created a magic those days ) finally with clapping…..

There will be parallel shots showing a cheerful MGR, the party members , JJ’s foot , trying to control but gradually getting tempted by the pull of the song’s rhythm, shaking of head acknowledging the splendid rhythm and finally will storm in to dance…..

Paaduvor paadinaal aadathondrum…..

The interludes before the charanam …..paatil suvaiyirundhaal aatam thaanay varum…..its a virtual war between flute , piano, violin, tabla again !

One gets tempted to rewind several times when TMS reaches the stage ….Thannai marandhadhu kandu , thulli ezundhadhu vandu…..nooladarndha idai dhaan neliya…nooru kodi vindhai puriya…….nooru kodi vindhai puriya……. A big pause …….and TMS resumes again with a clapping

The tune, the rhythm pattern will all be exact match for the situation…. MG trying to enthuse cheer and audio delight …. will make everyone dance automatically

Also, as the scene warranted Makkal thilagam to sit and play Piano, he was totally restricted from making his routine mannerisms…..Kayyayum kaalayum asaikaamal MGR illai ! but as if he is tied to the instrument, MG will respond to the song ……at times using one hand to run through the piano while using the other hand for demonstrating his expressions ! quite a fascinating character Makkal thilagam is !

The same song will get repeated and this time the scenario will be totally different as Vanishree will be tempted to stand up and dance…..

SIRITHAAL THANGA PADHUMAI…adada adada enna pudhumai…..koduthen endhan manadhai ……. A song which will speak volumes of MSV melody…. Its another gem of a duet from PS – TMS…..This is a typical Makkal thilagam song , loaded with melody….this type of song , one can hear quite regularly in his movies….few examples are Unnai paarthu kondirundhaal paatu varum, Chinnavalai mugam sivandhavalai….

MINIMINAY KANMANIYAY KONDAVALAY ENNIDAMAY…… a song with a difference….rhythm pattern will be different …..TMS this time with LRE …its one of the best of LRE

One reason why MSV songs are still being cherished now , could be that of his long association with Makkal thilagam…..who must have made MSV work overtime and stretch to the maximum so that the best output comes….the more you ignite a gold and more will be its shine …..

I have heard that some of MSV - MGR’s rejected tunes were used for other movies and they also became hits later !

I continue to wonder the enchanting melodies of Makkal thilagam’s movies which have stood the test of times and are still being heard at large …….

For those who question Makkal thilagam’s limitations as an actor should look at other positive sides ……his flair for music, the picturisation, the manner in which he instituted basic discipline through his movies , the way he positioned himself smartly to capture the hearts of the entire Tamilnadu

Lets appreciate the fact that anything that is conveyed through a movie gets the attention of an ordinary citizen and its paramount that positive messages are communicated and MG took care that they are presented in the most ideal manner

Lets also forget and forgive his off screen image on personal front with fellow stars …..Are we 100 % pure, clean and sincere in our personal life ?? lets ask this question to our inner consciousness and you will get an answer ….

Moderator Diamond Hubber Thirumaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favourite MGR song os Vizhiyae kathai ezhuthu.. from Urimai Kural.
    I think it was Yesudass's first song in tamil. Is that right?

The director of the movie(Sridhar) was interested in taking the song completely in Seashore with MGR and latha walking around. MGR thought it will be good to take the song with the costumes of Prince and princess with expensive sets.

Because of this there was a misunderstanding between Sridhar and MGR.
    Definetly it could have been a class if it would have taken in the manner Sridhar liked. MGR thought it may not not reach the mass.
    Finally it was taken as per MGR's wish and became a massive hit.

Vizhiyae kathai yezhuthu,
    Kaneeril yezhuthathae,
    Manjal vaanam.. Thendral saatchi,
    unakkaagavaey naan vaazhgiraean..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thirumaran

Viziyay kadhai ezudhu is one of the best songs of MGR and its Yesudas's first song for Makkal thilagam...

Actually its a very lengthy song with splendid interludes composed by MSV...its a pity that those days, Chennai vaanoli nilayam had edited the interludes and you could hear a cut short version only

You will also realise that the style of the entire movie was typical MGR's and not Sridhar's and this sums up the whole story.....

MGR always wanted his style and thoughts implanted on his movies....

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    dign:

vizhiyE was not yesudas's first song.

his first song was in some old movie,,directed by VEENAI BALACHANDAR.

Movie was called BOMMAI

his song was........

"neeyum bommai
    naanum bommai
    nenachu partha
    ellaaam bommai"

end dign.

Post Thanks / Like
    SP

You are right . Neeyum bommai was KJY's first tamil song
    I think for MGR his first song was Viziyay kadhai ezudhu.

Pl confirm this.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure balaji. I think yes. that may be the first one.

IF i am not wrong hez sung "nalai namathE" songs.

"neela nayanangaLil oru neenda kanavu vanthathu"

If tht movie is after the movie u mentioned... then may be u are right.

Post Thanks / Like
    SP

You are right. KJY sang 2 songs in Nalai namadhey

1. Neela nayanangalil - with PS
    2. Kadhal enbadhu kaaviyamaanal - with PS
    3. Ennai vitaal yaarumillai - Solo

and this came after Urimai kural only