View Poll Results: Why do you like MGR ???

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a great actor ....

3 7.69%
  • He's a great politician ....

8 20.51%
  • He's my role model or inspiration ....

11 28.21%
  • He's a do-gooder of poor people and masses ....

17 43.59%
Page 142 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1470

Thread: MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Murasoli Maran ? Did he invlove in Kaanji Thalaivan ?

I thought he involved only in 'Engal Thangam'
    I think he wrote the screenplay for this movie IF I am not wrong.
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by selvakumar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Murasoli Maran ? Did he invlove in Kaanji Thalaivan ?

I thought he involved only in 'Engal Thangam'
    I think he wrote the screenplay for this movie IF I am not wrong.
    I don't think so.Murasoli maran wrote screen play dialogues in 'engal thangam'..Anyway ,Nakeeran can provide better info
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it ? Anyway, Let us wait for our other veterans to confirm the same.

I would be the happiest person in the world IF someone gives me a download link for the same movies. Tired of searching for the same
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like
    All about our Makkal Thilagam

http://www.tamilnation.org/hundredtamils/mgr.htm

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Pesuvadhu kiliyaa ( Panathottam )

Not convinced with the picturisation, Thalaivar insisted that the song be re-shot which inturn was obliged duly by the Director. Finally, the changed one was appreciated by everyone !

So, how it was done ??

Saroja Devi picks up some water to quench thirst & looks for MGR.
    From nowhere he runs in very fast , climbs over the car & does a thalam on SD's head. Finally starts with Pesuadhu kiliyaa ??

Thats thalaivar no ?

Ok. what about the song ? bangoos thunder and announce the arrival of Puratchi Nadigar MGR !

MGR :

Pesuvadhu kiliyaa , pennarasi moziyaa ?
    Kovil konda silyaa ? Kothu malar kodiyaa
    ?

Saroja DEvi :

Paduvadhu kaviyaa illai paari vallal magana ?
    Cheranukku uravaaa ( hinting that he is from kerala )
    senthamizin nilavaa
    ??

MSV vaazga

With a small harmonium , what kind of magic this MSV had produced !

Watch the song & enssssssssssssoyyyyyy

http://pesumpadam.wordpress.com/2007...uvathu-kiliya/

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Enga veettu pillai - MGR in 2 action

ENGA VEETTU PILLAI :

Playing 2 characters is always a big challenge to an artist. Not everyone succeeded in distinguishing the characters.

While the characters the actor portrays are typically brothers, we have had movies where one of them is good and the other is evil (Uthama Puthiran) and movies where both are similar and switch places. Enga Veettu Pillai, with MGR in a dual role, distinguishes between the characters by making one a coward and the other a brave man. It has fun by putting the brave man in the coward's place and making him teach a lesson to the people around him. It is an enjoyable entertainer and was one of MGR's biggest hits.

Ramu(MGR-1) is the cowardly one - the heir to all riches of Poonjolai jamin. He has been raised that way by his uncle Narendran(Nambiar). Ramu shivers at the very mention of his uncle's name and a whiplash is Narendran's favorite form of punishment. Narendran wants to get Ramu married to Leela(Saroja Devi) but she is turned off by his cowardice.

Ilango(MGR-2) is a jobless young man, prone to pick a fight and for this reason, the cause of trouble for his mother. Circumstances lead to Ramu and Ilango taking each others' place. Ilango teaches a lesson to Narendran while Ramu learns the ways of the world.

Nowadays, the theme of mixed identities invariably leads to comedies with the laughs being raised through the ways the look-alikes don't fit into their new environments. The 'fish out of water' scenario is the one most often used. But here the two MGRs fit into their new roles quite well. The fun is in the way the others around them react to the changes in them. Ilango taking the place of Ramu is easily the hands-down winner in this.

The first instance where MGR slaps Nambiar is memorable and exhilarating with the reactions of Nambiar and Thangavelu perfectly conveying their surprise. Ofcourse the Naan Aanaiyittaal... song sequence is the pinnacle with MGR giving Nambiar a taste of his own medicine.

Wonder what was running in his mind when MGR sang NAAN AANAYITAAL probably a premonition to what he intended to achieve later ?!

The position of Ramu(in Ilango's place) is only marginally interesting as the listless romance with Rathna is the only major thing happening. Thankfully, the actions of Ilango are concentrated upon as he is wooed by Saroja Devi and hated by Nambiar and co. The revelation of the switch is handled neatly and the emotions of the heroines are not carried on for too long. But the subsequent story that digs into the pasts of the two look-alikes is confusing and extends the movie unnecessarily

One interesting thing to see in older movies in how well they stand up when watched today. Though Enga Veettu Pillai is undeniably entertaining even today, there do exist a few instances which stand out awkwardly. Special effects which make the dual roles possible don't compare favorably even to the effects in Uthama Puthiran. The subservient role of women is quite obvious in the way Saroja Devi, who is introduced as a 'modern' woman, gleefully accepts the demand of a dowry. The lament of Pandaribai about wanting to die at Nambiar's feet after he has slapped her and walked out is quite irritating.

Ilango character is full of blood & aggression. So aggressive even while eating ! One can see this guy eating quite frequently & very fond of good food also !

The best scene probably is the super hit song NAAN AANAYITAAL ADHU NADANDHU VITAAL .

MSV-TK Ramamurthy combination had composed some beautiful songs :

1. Kangalum kaavadi chindadatum
    Its the song after the title which also introduces the timid MGR Ramu , who is fond of dance , music .
    I suspect a political agenda hidden deep into himself becaz there will be a close up shot on MGR when the words NADELLAM UNNAI KANDU PUGAZ PADATTUM

2. Kumari pennin ullathile kudiyiruka naan varavendum
    Ilango and Saroja Devi sing . The song starts with a take actually being shot for a movie which is being watched by both ( the movie also shows Ilango being fond of acting & in pursuit of acting also )

This song was written by Valee . There is a story behind this song . Valee actually wrote thinking about his lover who latter became his wife also !

3. Naan maandhopill ninrirundhen
    For MGR 1 and Ratna , after the cross over & a mild change in the behaviour traits. MGR learns the basics through that lady.
    This song is a TMS special

4. Pen ponaal
    Ilango and SD. Nothing great to write .. The song could have been avoided

5. Malarukku thendral pagayanaal
    Beautiful song for SD and Ratna amidst the confusion / misunderstanding as both MGR characters get mixed up
    I would say that its one of the best of P.Susheela-LR Iswari combination.

This Chanakya directed movie features : M.G.R. - 2 roles/Saroja Devi/Rathna/Nambiar/Nagesh/Thangavelu/ Ranga Rao / Pandari Bhai

Cost of living then :
    It will be quite fascinating & shocking to note that that the entire meal that MGR takes in the hotel costs only six Rupees is bound to make people who lived then sigh in nostalgia!

Nagesh was a permanent feature in movies released during those times and is at hand here too. His mispronounciation of words is quite funny at several places and leads to many quick laughs. But the extended sequences, like the one where Thangavelu discovers his romance with his daughter, are a lot less funnier.

MGR distinguishes well between the two roles though it is quite obvious he is more at ease as the brave Ilango. His strict adherence to his enduring 'good samaritan' image is obvious in the way he apologises before uttering a single lie to his mother and speaks out against dowry.

The great Nambiar plays his character as precise as ever .

It was MGR who used the cinema medium to the best advantage

A movie for the masses

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to download the songs of Enga Veetu Pillai in MP3 format. Can someone help me posting the link so that I may download the same? Enga Veetu Pillai is my favorite MGR film. Hope they show this in Sun TV.
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one scene that I always remember from EVP is not the Naan Anaiyittal sequence.

In fact, it's that simple scene of One MGR paying the idli bill for the other MGR. Somehow, that's what comes to my mind when EVP is mentioned.

I believe the producer of this film did a remake in Hindi, and later it became a Female version, which was remade back into Tamil with Vanee Sri (Yummy) in Vani Rani, which co-starred NT and Muthuraman. The storyline is very similar, but not as effective or as exciting as EVP. I bet after EVP, whips became a big craze and got sold out.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho,
    In bible ,it is mentioned Jesus used whips on merchants who misused the holy temple in Jerusalem (Probably this is the only once Jesus was so agressive) .He told "En thanthayin Alayaththai KaLvar kuhai aakki vitteergale "

Interestingly Jesus was mentioned in this song also.

முன்பு யேசு வந்தார் பின்பு காந்தி வந்தார்
    இந்த மானிடர் திருந்திட பிறந்தார்
    இவர் திருந்தவில்லை
    மனம் வருந்தவில்லை
    அந்த மேலோர் சொன்னதை மறந்தார்

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As and when he can, MGR will never resist mentioning Jesus. Consider this song, Budhan Yesu, Ghandi piranthathu. One of my favourite MGR tattuva song. Good movie too, Chandrodhyam.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.