Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollywood fashion industry out of style

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Bollywood fashion industry out of style

Here is some advice for those who do fashion design in Bollywood:

1. Men do not wear pink

2. Men do not wear tight-fitting clothes

3. Do not have someone wear a dhoti if he is going to dance next to a guy in a leather jacket (perhaps thats advice the director should also take)

To be fair, I have to say that the fashion designers have done a good job with the actresses. Now they need to invest a little more time in the actors.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bollywood fashion industry out of style

Quote Originally Posted by SRS

1. Men do not wear pink

2. Men do not wear tight-fitting clothes
    They used to in the '70s! Maybe they r aiming at sum kind of retro-style nowadays.....not doing a very good job @ it tho......its nowhere close to the original '70s style.........

To be fair, I have to say that the fashion designers have done a good job with the actresses.
    Actually it seems far from a fair (leave alone good) job to me afa the current actresses (Bollywood as well as regional) r concerned.......let's face it, most of the fashion designed for them seems to be more a means of exposing their skin/flesh wherever/however possible! These 'designers' hav successfully given even Sarees a vamp-ish look.......and yea, they seem to've asexually created a new cross-breed of Indians w/ brown (& in sum cases even blond!) hair, among actors as well as actresses!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I have to say that the fashion designers have done a good job with the actresses. Now they need to invest a little more time in the actors.
    You must be joking! Most of the time what the actresses wear cannot be worn by normal people on a day to day basis! They are as far from reality as can be... There is nothing wrong in that, but be creative and at the same time come up with something nice and pleasing to the eyes rather than be an eye sore!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Men do not wear pink
    ********Digression***********
    Just some information for you...
    Last year the fashion gurus turned around and asked
    Why cant men wear pink or lavender??
    This year pink will be the vogue for men..so you had pink shirts and pink stripped shirts and lavender and pink shirts and lavender shirts(I dont recall seeing pink pants thankfully!!).Though my husband clearly refused to be dragged into buying a pink shirt I saw quite a few of my friends bravely venture into buying a pink or lavender shirt.It was pink everywhere in the US and I have it on good authority that it was the same in Europe.
    Maybe the Indian fashion designers were influenced by their western counterparts .
    ********Digression End***********

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssanjinika
    Last year the fashion gurus turned around and asked Why cant men wear pink or lavender??
    This year pink will be the vogue for men..so you had pink shirts and pink stripped shirts and lavender and pink shirts and lavender shirts
    *Aww........pity! I saw this nice '70s style pink shirt (altho it was full-sleeved, I prefer 1/2 sleeves ) at this shop in Singapore where I wud find mostly '70s style clothes! But I din't take it then thinkin tat it'd look girlish to others (wasn't sure how many ppl. wud understand my rep. of the '70s!).......I did take a nice red shirt (another "girlish" colour tats become popular on men) tho.....only wear it on occasions as its dry-clean only!

Maybe the Indian fashion designers were influenced by their western counterparts
    Yea, counterparts of the '70s I bet! Altho, as I said, they don't seem to match the authenticity of tat time (yet?).....!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Actually it seems far from a fair (leave alone good) job to me afa the current actresses (Bollywood as well as regional) r concerned.......let's face it, most of the fashion designed for them seems to be more a means of exposing their skin/flesh wherever/however possible! These 'designers' hav successfully given even Sarees a vamp-ish look.......and yea, they seem to've asexually created a new cross-breed of Indians w/ brown (& in sum cases even blond!) hair, among actors as well as actresses!
    Yes... in many of the dances, there is a lot of naval exposure. This is because many of the dance moves are not authentic Indian, but based on the US "hip-hop." The only difference between the two, really, besides language of course, is that in "hip-hop" there is bottom (the female dancers are always wearing shorts) and top exposure, whereas in Indian dances, the exposure tends to be limited to the naval. That makes sense if you consider that sari blouses (what the Indian actresses are always wearing) would look very funny with what we in the US call short shorts. I can understand what you mean when you say the amount of skin/flesh exposure may be too much. On the other hand, I am not sure I could sit through a whole film in which the actresses dance in full sari. Hopefully we have gone beyond sari and swing set. Having them dress in American style clothes is not a good solution either, because then the dance would lose its Indian touch. So I think the present scenario is a fair compromise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka

You must be joking! Most of the time what the actresses wear cannot be worn by normal people on a day to day basis! They are as far from reality as can be... There is nothing wrong in that, but be creative and at the same time come up with something nice and pleasing to the eyes rather than be an eye sore!
    Well, if you have seen American dances, its much worse. Much more suggestive. I don't mind what the Indian actresses wear since I find only about two or three attractive anyway. For me the music comes first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssanjinika
    1. Men do not wear pink
    ********Digression***********
    Just some information for you...
    Last year the fashion gurus turned around and asked
    Why cant men wear pink or lavender??
    This year pink will be the vogue for men..so you had pink shirts and pink stripped shirts and lavender and pink shirts and lavender shirts(I dont recall seeing pink pants thankfully!!).Though my husband clearly refused to be dragged into buying a pink shirt I saw quite a few of my friends bravely venture into buying a pink or lavender shirt.It was pink everywhere in the US and I have it on good authority that it was the same in Europe.
    Maybe the Indian fashion designers were influenced by their western counterparts .

Thats strange. I live in the US and hardly ever see a male wearing pink. There has been a trend for quite some time now to go "casual", but I never saw pink hit it big. Of course it was big in the late 60's & 70's. Thats large because before the 60's, there was a very conservative tendency which prevailed; men wore full black suits (with the coat) and black hats (you can see it in the old American films). There was very little variety in terms of color. The 60's/70's was a rebellion against all this.

Post Thanks / Like

--

Post Thanks / Like

Having them dress in American style clothes is not a good solution either, because then the dance would lose its Indian touch. So I think the present scenario is a fair compromise.
    No offence....but actually I don't see y they hav to use the Sari as a "compromise" in the 1st place! As for the dance losing its "Indian touch" w/ western dresses, wudn't it lose tat neways, considering, as u stated, tat its not an authentic Indian style but a copy of the US "hip-hop" style??!
    So I guess it makes no diff. if they make the actresses wear western/sum other outfit instead of Sarees........!
    OTOH, I feel they r the main culprits for most of the general public to consider even Sarees as "sexy" outfits today!

'wonder y the public doesn't feel like protesting abt this so far as they'd done in case of Kushboo's statement!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast