Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami, Hurricanes, Floods and Earthquakes....

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsunami, Hurricanes, Floods and Earthquakes....

What is happening? Why is there a sudden influx in natural disasters?

First it was the Tsunami of late last year which cost 250,000 human lives. Then came the China floods, Indian floods, Katrina, Stan and now Pakistan earthquake.

Conspiracy theories aside, is the human factor responsible for these disasters. Besides Global warming, are there hidden hands working behind the scene?

Read Sidney Sheldon's "Are You Afraid of the Dark." Many countries are actually working towards controlling Earth's weather, in secret.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the Katrina thread I had mentioned Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". A foolish but possible cause: Nature is angry at man trespassing into her private parts, probing, reseearching sacredly untouchable fields!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOV - do you really think so, that the possible reasons for the disasters after disasters are actually due to human activities?? Like side effects of wanting to do something rite'??

Post Thanks / Like
    PP, you are assuming that Nature is a thinking entity? I think man is the most dangerous being walking on Earth today. Not satisfied with clearing forests and wildlife, and then depleting its resourses, man today for very selfish reasons, wants to control nature too.

NM, I am open-minded about this. It could be side effects or worse still, it could be pre-planned or just plans gone awry. Whatever the cause, tens of thousands have become victims.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a school of thought that believes grobal warming as the reason of more hurricanes. Sea is getting warmer hense hurricanes generated through cold and warm water/air movement

But there doesnt seem any relation between Earth quake and any of mans activities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nov, Nature, if it were a thinking entity, only my foolish supposition, it has every reason to be outraged by all the unwanted tinkering done in the name of research. And since Nature undoubtedly is immensely more powerful than man it goes berserk in infinite wrath. May be it is threatening man with these warning signals, goading him to rethink! Just my poetic imagination!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    paavam oru pakkam, pazhi oru pakkam...

The victims of these disasters, unfortunately, are not the designers of such rape of the Earth. If you notice, it is only the poorer segment of society that faces the biggest hazards.

But strangely, the poorest and most under-developed continent, AFRICA, seems to be immune to these disasters!

Post Thanks / Like
    So advancement of science & technology has some correlation?!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOV: Very interesting topic, have been discussing this in the past few months!

From seeing too much of NGC (National Geographic channel), what I get is that while hurricanes, rising of see level, melting of the polar ice cap, etc are due to global warming, earth quakes are more because of trees being chopped and huge buildings (which require massive foundations) being built. For e.g. the Petronas towers in KL has to have a very deep foundation (world's deepest foundation at 120 meters) to hold such a tall building! And then we go around digging tunnels in the sea (The tunnel between Dover & Calais) and through mountains (the tunnels through the Alps), to make life easier for us.

Are we not disturbing mother earth when doing all this? If some one keeps poking me I will tend to atleast shrug, I guess that is what is happening!

And as for Africa, the whole of Africa is sitting on one huge tectonic plate though the border of the plate on the north is closer to land. I guess this is one reason why it does not get affected!

PS: I might completely be wrong but this is my opinion!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a prediction that INDIA is becoming lil more prone to natural disaster. Now with URI quake and other recent calamities sounds more like it!

Katrina and Rita would probably be renamed Rekha and
    Rupa!!

Jokes apart, can anyone analyse with such scenario at end, how feasible it is to make quake proof buildings? Is the construction industry such preventive measures into concern?
    With the increasing pressure on moving to flats constructed
    higher up, would we be inviting danger upon ourselves?

All instructions to flat residents is DO NOT TAKE LIFTS to escape the quakes. Please run down...to save ur head.
    On the otherhand If someone is residing in 16th floor (which is becoming QUITE COMMON HERE in bangalore) before he gets down, he would crashed down to death.

Is it possible to have.....Accidents proof world?
    Natural calamities proof world?

hmmmm what am I taking about?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast