Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reason for ARR to return to uk to another concert

Senior Member Senior Hubber karthik_sa2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

reason for ARR to return to uk to another concert

Rahman the conductor was a letdown!

Karthikeyan Nagarajan | April 24, 2004 11:12 IST

When I heard that the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra had asked A R Rahman to conduct two live concerts in March this year, I was very happy and proud as an Indian and a Tamilian.

Earlier, I had felt proud in 1993 when Ilayaraja had recorded his first classical orchestral work with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra of London. I was executive producer of that project.

It was Ilayaraja's first full-fledged classical work and it was recorded under the baton of John Scott. Unfortunately, Ilayaraja has still not released that work.

Hence to know that another composer from our midst has come to the world music arena was thrilling news. Rarely do musicians from our part of the world get such an opportunity.

But it was a big fiasco.

Rahman's popular film songs were converted into orchestral scores to be played by a classical symphony orchestra. They proved to be pale shadows of his original songs. And the predominantly Indian crowd did not appreciate them much.

It was obvious that not much thought had gone into the score. The objective should have been to retain the original melodic flavour suited to a symphony orchestra without electronic instruments and vocals.

Greater disappointment was his total non-preparation for conducting on stage. I consider that highly irresponsible. If Rahman thought conducting a symphony orchestra in concert was similar to a studio session, the people who risked allowing him to do it should be blamed.

I am surprised he has not fully understood the importance of the role of a conductor in a classical symphony orchestra.

Conducting is one of the most important aspects in a classical orchestra's live performance. People like Zubin Mehta have not become legends for nothing. Zubin is one of those rare talents who will conduct even the most difficult and complex symphonies like Mahler's 8th Symphony -- called the Symphony of a Thousand because Mahler's original debut concert required nearly 1,000 performers-musicians and choral groups -- without once referring to the score. Every bar of music is conducted from his memory, with total control and confidence of the orchestra.

As someone who has spent a lot of time on the UK music circuit over the last few years, I assumed Rahman would have done his homework and prepared the music as well as for his new role as conductor of a live concert, that too with a top-notch orchestra like the CBSO.

Rahman should have reminded himself that he was going to wield the baton of Sir Simon Rattle, who became CBSO conductor at 25 (in 1980) and made it one of the best orchestras in the world.

As a BBC reviewer wrote, "I cannot help feeling cheated by the concert. Though the orchestra were highly organised, Rahman seemed slightly uninterested to be there. Audience reactions were also mixed. The audiences were given opportunity to ask him questions to which he often replied with one-word answers. Rahman did conduct the orchestra for a short period, but later sat back with the audience and watched another conduct his music."

As with anywhere else in the West, most orchestras are going through a difficult time with dwindling concert attendances and slow music sales. Add to this the problem of population remix among local patrons.

By 2020, for example, Birmingham is tipped to become the first black majority city in UK. Now, its population is a mix of Asians, Africans and Chinese apart from the native whites.

Hence, orchestras are ready to try anything to bring people into the concert halls. And collaborations with musicians from Asia, titled Classic Asia, are part of the mission.

For the 84 year-old CBSO, it must have been a momentous, difficult decision. They took it because their survival depends on their ability to chart new paths.

With his exposure to the UK music industry through his collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber, it was not a surprise that Rahman got the project.

But his botching it up is.

I believe Rahman has not been able to transcend the barrier where his own singing and others are vital for his musical pieces. Obviously, there is an inability to compose music free of the composer/performer. He seems to have attempted something for which he is not yet ready intellectually.

In the end it was totally disappointing.

Rahman's confession -- "I messed it up. Will come next time with much more preparation" -- does not redeem him at all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: reason for ARR to return to uk to another concert

Quote Originally Posted by karthik_sa2
    Rahman the conductor was a letdown!

Karthikeyan Nagarajan | April 24, 2004 11:12 IST

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewt...=230619#230619

Karthik_sa2! Ur intention is clear here..........

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    scale

entha karthik naan ella
    Karthik -Happy Illa

Senior Member Senior Hubber karthik_sa2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well is it not a fact?sometimes facts hurts but u got to accept it man.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Karthik it really hurts everytime, ppl like you find every damn * against him inspite of his humbleness,work dedication, sincerity, respect to others .

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scale
    Yeah Karthik it really hurts everytime, ppl like you find every damn * against him inspite of his humbleness,work dedication, sincerity, respect to others .
    scale y do u worry about such comments..
    ignore it... ARR has got him recognition...
    so news like this will not affect him...

and he himself has confessed....... No one else of his calibre would confess their mistakes...

so free vidunga scale..

ARR is always the Best
    Karthik -Happy Illa

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well..watz the intention bringing it to the forum at this point of the time??? probably to counter attack on his successful march in the 3D concerts is it?

but scale, you shud also learn to give respect to karthik_sa2 as he is elderly to us and also in a respectable position... prob his intent might be different...

btw read these reviews on ARR's concert.....

http://magixncurses.blogspot.com
    http://www.prabhukrish.net

namma tfm page pasanga thaan..ARR fans........

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mr.karthik, i have a couple of questions for u:

1.can u pls explain the timing of opening this thread as this fiasco happened 1.5 yrs back.....
    2.If u were the executive producer for IR's symophony, then u r a big cheat.....u guys have been cheating ppl. for 15 yrs now....where is the audio for that work>???IR has not even bothered to xplain y he hasnt released the audio and not even a single evidence that he conducted a symphony....u guys r the biggest cheaters in the world and u start a thread attacking ARRahman with a kamal avatar, u think pppl. will keep quiet?????bring this forum the evidence of IR's work and then talk abt ARR.....

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    >>>but scale, you shud also learn to give respect to karthik_sa2 as he is elderly to us and also in a respectable position... prob his intent might be different...>>>>

yaa rsubras, i think u r missing the issue here.....was there any reason for this esteemed and elderly guy to start a thread hurting our sentiments for an incident that happened 1.5 yrs ago??? i think growing old is compulsory but growing wiser is optional.......pls understand this subras.....

hey scale, forget all this 5-paisa stuff, ur avatar rocks mann, can u send me the full-size picture of that avatar???

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    mr.karthik, i have a couple of questions for u:

1.can u pls explain the timing of opening this thread as this fiasco happened 1.5 yrs back.....
    2.If u were the executive producer for IR's symophony, then u r a big cheat.....u guys have been cheating ppl. for 15 yrs now....where is the audio for that work>???IR has not even bothered to xplain y he hasnt released the audio and not even a single evidence that he conducted a symphony....u guys r the biggest cheaters in the world and u start a thread attacking ARRahman with a kamal avatar, u think pppl. will keep quiet?????bring this forum the evidence of IR's work and then talk abt ARR.....
    Maddy

IR through out his career has a clear policy - composer has the copyright for the sound track - so if IR wanted to use some part of Symphony 1, then he can do it with out worring about anything, but RPO and the "audio" company which got the copyright didnt agree for that, so it is "stuck". Yes, I agree, IR can give up and ask them to release the soundtrack, but he, as we all know, is adament.

If you unwantedly pull IR in this, then there is no difference between you and karthik. I would say, you listen to LOTR sound track and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast