Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramanujacharya - The great Philosopher and Social Reformer

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sudhaama Sir

Can you please tell me about the three incidents which prove Ramanujar to be Adi Seshan avathar? I'm very interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read some where that Ramanujar was against casteism, is that true ? if so what all did he do against it ?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahadevan
    Read some where that Ramanujar was against casteism, is that true ? if so what all did he do against it ?
    Yes... Ramanuja was .. Not only by Religious Renaissance he was a HUMANE- EMANCIPATOR,

...but also he was a Great Social-Reformer too... in those days of high Sentimental, Sectarian, Self-centered, Narrow-minded Society.. in general

... by insisting on SOCIAL-EQUANIMITY irrespective of Castes and Religion..

It was Ramanuja.. who introduced the system of pulling "THAER"...for the Deities by one all the members of the Society...

.. without any PREFERENCE OR DISCRIMINATION... but only on one Common- basis... as DEVOTEES.... and Nothing else or beyond.

Yes... Not only by his Propagation but also by Gestures...He advanced INCREDIBLY too far to institute a THULUKKA- NAACHIYAAR SANNIDHI

... within the precincts of Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam...

.. making a Muslim-princess as the Deity.!.. for worship and Pooja... which continues even now.

Urangaa-Villi-Dhaasan, his disciple of a so called Untouchable caste... was his prime accompanist... on whose shoulders Ramanuja used to rest his hand while walking. behind that Thaazhththappattavar.

Maaranaer-Nambi was another such Untouchable... whom he rendered Personal physical service by Medical- treatment of applying Oitments Thailam etc. with that Guru's own hands... on the body of his Disciple.

... by visiting his Hut... within a Harijan- Cheri.... while that Devotee Bed-patient affected with Cancer was miserably FORSAKEN by all others including his own family members..

Thus Ramanuja ensured a clear-cut depiction of LARGE-HEARTEDNESS as the Rudimentary base of self-imposed Code of Practice..... while dealing with any aspect in Life,...

... Be it ones own varying Religious Faith, or Sect or Caste or Occupation or any such other cases.

UNIVERSAL-LOVE coupled with Human-Unity in Diversity ... was his Highlight Message ...

... as well as the ULTIMATE PROPOGATION to the Global Society.

On which I will elaborate soon, with the support of true events.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sudhaama, that was marvellous for a person during those ages to do that. Please continue...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sudhaama, that was marvellous for a person during those ages to do that. Please continue...
    I think that is a wonderful observation, Mahadevan. For a person to be able to do all this in those ages, and still be accepted and revered speaks volumes of Ramanujacharya. We don't really need stories to prove his greatness!

One of his greatest revolutionary acts was the giving of the Ashtakshara Mantra to everyone. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, perhaps Sudhamaa has already planned to talk about this at the appropriate time, but because the topic veered to this, I thought I might put in a note about that episode here.

After great difficulty, Ramanuja obtained the Ashtakshari Mantra from a guru. The guru gave him the usual strict injunction, "This is the holiest of holy mantras. It is not to be uttered loud in the hearing of everyone. It is sacred and secret. Do not reveal it to anyone. By the mere chanting of this you will be liberated. But beware if you let this mantra out. You will surely go to Hell then."

Now, how sacred and how liberating the mantra itself is, is another question. But what Ramanuja did was noteworthy.

He went up to everyone in the village - people of all castes, age, men and women. He told them all to assemble at the Temple gopuram (tower) for he said he had a great treasure to share with them all. He climbed the tower and in loud, ringing tones, chanted the mantra loud to everyone, and exhorted them to chant it and be liberated.

When the guru came to know about this, he was wrath incarnate and berated Ramanuja for his deed, assuring him he would go to Hell. Note his answer, which made him the great emacipator!

He said, "If by my one person going to hell, all these people could be liberated, so be it. I have lived a worthy life."

I think the attitude of absolute selflessness and the way he wantede equality in everything is truly commendable.
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbadri99
    We don't really need stories to prove his greatness!

He said, "If by my one person going to hell, all these people could be liberated, so be it. I have lived a worthy life."

I think the attitude of absolute selflessness and the way he wantede equality in everything is truly commendable.
    Fantastic post Badri....
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

Post Thanks / Like
    Word "RAHASYA" means "SECRET" ... in Sanskrit?

Ramanuja Clarified

Quote Originally Posted by sbadri99
    I think that is a wonderful observation, Mahadevan. For a person to be able to do all this in those ages, and still be accepted and revered speaks volumes of Ramanujacharya. We don't really need stories to prove his greatness!

One of his greatest revolutionary acts was the giving of the Ashtakshara Mantra to everyone. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, perhaps Sudhamaa has already planned to talk about this at the appropriate time, but because the topic veered to this, I thought I might put in a note about that episode here.

After great difficulty, Ramanuja obtained the Ashtakshari Mantra from a guru. The guru gave him the usual strict injunction, "This is the holiest of holy mantras. It is not to be uttered loud in the hearing of everyone. It is sacred and secret. Do not reveal it to anyone. By the mere chanting of this you will be liberated. But beware if you let this mantra out. You will surely go to Hell then."

Now, how sacred and how liberating the mantra itself is, is another question. But what Ramanuja did was noteworthy.

He went up to everyone in the village - people of all castes, age, men and women. He told them all to assemble at the Temple gopuram (tower) for he said he had a great treasure to share with them all. He climbed the tower and in loud, ringing tones, chanted the mantra loud to everyone, and exhorted them to chant it and be liberated.

When the guru came to know about this, he was wrath incarnate and berated Ramanuja for his deed, assuring him he would go to Hell. Note his answer, which made him the great emacipator!

Many are interpreting this event .... in a different direction from the true MAIN sense behind.

On this episode of misconception, my Article in Tamil ...was published under my name Sudhaama in Shakthi-Vikatan Magazine last year... and is .still available in Online.

In brief I repeat here... the main sense behind..

Ramanuja wanted to learn the descriptive intricacies of a Manthra called Thirumanthra- Artha- Rahasyam (Sense of Ashtaakshra-Manthram : Ohm Namo Narayanaya)

In those days, Thirukkoshtiyoor Nambi was a great Scholar well- knowledged in that Manthra. So Ramanuja approached him and appealed to teach.

... But the Guru did not easily consent. but Ramanuja repeatedly persuaded him by walking hundreds of miles from Srirangam near Tiruchi to Thirukkoshtiyoor near Ramanathapuram... 18 times.

Finally the Guru agreed on a condition that it is a Secret not to be revealed. When Ramanuja raised his doubt on the sense of the word RAHASYA... he was silenced by the Guru, that the Norm for the Student was just to Obey the commands of the Guru and accept whatever is taught.

Ramanuja accepted and learnt... Immediately after learning, he sent out his hundreds of Disciples in the town Thirukkoshtiyoor to gather one and all the Devotees who seek to know that important Manthra sense.

Then Ramanuja climbed over the Thirukkoshtiyoor Temple- Gopuram ... addressed the vast gathering assembled around..

.. and. revealed BY PREACHING what he had just then learnt.

On hearing this surprise development.... the Guru became furious and sent for Ramanuja.

" Hae Ramanuja... Did I not lay down a strict condition... that what I teach you is a SECRET ... not to be revealed? and You agreed upon? Then why did you violate?"

"Swami, I am aware that you will get angry with me. But still I did so because of my Confidence in you that you will be open-minded as well as kind enough to re-consider the Truth whoever speaks of.

...The word "Rahasya" is misinterpreted by others... Swami, You being a Scholar, how you too are falling in line with them, I am unable to understand. ...

...If such a Manthra is deemed to be a SECRET...

...what was the purpose for such an Important one to be made at all?... Just to lie buried within the Brains of a few?

In Tamil only, the Word RAHASYA means Secret.... but in Sanskrit it does not mean so...

.. but only as... GYST / SALIENT / IMPORTANT... conforming to its Dhaathu (Sanskrit-Word- Root).. I feel..... Am I wrong Swami?

Accordingly there are various Sanskrit-Texts named ..

Ananda-Rahasya = Salient and important factors on how to be Happy.

Yoga Rahasya = Gyst of important Yoga- principles.

Arogya-Rahasya = Salient and Important factors on how to be Healthy.

Athma-Thathva Rahasya = Important and Salinet factors on Spiritualism

Similarly... Thiru-Manthraartha-Rahasya =

Salient and Important Factors and Guidance on and about Thirumanthra (Ashtaakshra-Manthra: Ohm Namo Naarayanaaya)

... and nothing beyond to mean as... SECRET... NOT TO BE REVEALED or TAUGHT TO OTHERS..

.. Rather in fact this Manthra is meant to be ..." WIDELY PROPOGATED ...

...quite contrary to the Negative- approach hitherto adopted.

Such a Mis-interpretaion was made by some erstwhile Tamilian-Scholars...

... basing on its parallel meaning in Tamil as SECRET,..

... which is being blindly followed by all others... INCLUDING YOU SWAMI?

So, Does that anamoly not need to be corrected?." asked Ramanuja.

" Well, Ramanuja.... Keeping aside that Logic .. I ask you another point..

...Did you not promise me NOT TO REVEAL? And is this not a Violation? And for such a Violation did I not tell you that you will go to the Worst Hell?"

"Yes.Swami.. I remember. I have least forgotten it even while preaching it to others.. ..

.. But by just myself one soul going to hell... if thousands of innocent common-beings can attain Salvation"

...I am happily willing to accept any worst consequence or punishment as due and as I may so deserve." replied Ramanuja and prostrated at the feet of his Guru Thirukkoshtiyoor Nambi.

Immediately the Guru embraced his student Ramanuja,.. shedding tears, rapt with elation and said..

..." Ah.! Ramanuja, You are NOT AN ORDINARY MAN!. How Great You are.!! Only God can be so LARGE-HEARTED. Are you the EMPERUMAAN ( God.. in Tamil) to think so?

.. I am radically convinced by your justifications on the correct and proper meaning of the word RAHASYA in Sanskrit,

...which was wrongly understood and adopted in practice so far."

Ramanuja replied... "Swami, I am sorry if I have hurt you. I have come here on a Mission. So I have to perform my duty"

From that day... Ramanuja got one more name in the Society as EMPERUMAANAAR (Godly Birth) .

.. as CONFERRED by Thirukkoshtiyoor- Nambi.. one of Ramanuja's Five Gurus., in succession.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber viggop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great! really really great!

Post Thanks / Like

RAMANUJA: ADHISESHA-AWATHARA: Proved during Lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by viggop
    Sudhaama Sir

Can you please tell me about the three incidents which prove Ramanujar to be Adi Seshan avathar? I'm very interested.
    Yes .. it was categorically proved so .. Three times... on different occasions as described below.

According to Sasthras, there are Two sorts of Devotional-Service (Kainkarya) to God, named as SESHATHWAM and PAARATHANTHRIYAM

- Direct Service to God is .. “Seshathwam” similar to Lakshmana in Ramayana.

- Carrying out the Commands of God... is Paarathanthriyam .. similar to Bharatha.

Episode: (1 ) God's Voice Declaration.

On one Critical situation .. With a good intention to save his Guru .. Ramanuja’s Sishya Kooraththu-aazhawaar volunteered to introduce himself as Ramanuja and proceeded to the Chozha King .. while the Guru had been away to Kaveri River for bath.

On return when Ramanuja came to know of this pellmell he tried to rush to the King for preventing any harm to his disciple ..But the idea was vehemently opposed and appealed against by his other Sishyas.

Under such a dilemma... Ramanuja prayed Lord Ranganatha deity in his Pooja- room seeking His Advice and Order

Immediately came the Divine-Reply ..in a Roar of Voice of God Ranganatha ..by “Asareeri” (Invisible God’s Voice). .. heard by all others around in the mutt.

“ Hae Ramanuja .. this Ordeal for you is my making. Yes .. I have to forcibly thrust it on you .. because you have dragged me to that extremely reluctant stage

Remember, You Aadhisesha.. what for I gave you an Awathaara as a Man on Earth? .. Just for your serving me at Srirangam?.. You are already serving me at Vaikuntam on Seshathwam. Yet I sent you to Earth.for Paarathanthriyam .. to carry out my Orders of Service on Earth. Whereas in spite of my repeaed insistance, you refused to leave Srirangam because You preferred Seshathwam only.. Whereas I do not. Because your services are more needed URGENTLY elsewhere.

So proceed to Melnaadu (Present Karnataka) forthwith and furtheron to other places as you will get calls on my making. Several Earthly Kainkaryas (Services) are waiting for you. So Rush up.”

“Yes, Swami Ranganatha.. if that be your Ultimate Will, I cannot think against it, but to obey. So I will rush out immediately.as per your orders”

So saying he moved out of Srirangam along with his convoy. (This Episode we will look in detail later.)

But the Message here is... the God’s Voice declaration .. the first authenticity .. that Ramanuja is the Aadhi-Sesha-Awathara.

.. To continue ..

Post Thanks / Like

.. RAMANUJA : ADHISESHA-AWATHARA .. . (Continued)

(1) Seshathwam ( SEVAKAM in Tamil) =

Direct Service to God / King / Leader...
    (“SEVAKAMUM” yaam paadi Varuththamum theerndhu - Thiruppaavai)

(2) Paarathanthriyam (PARHAI in Tamil =

Indirect Service by Carrying out the Orders of God / King / Leader
    (Yitrai-p-“PARHAI” kolhvaan anrhu kaanh Govindha - Thiruppaavai)

Out of all others in Ramayana duly recognised by Rama for their worthy services and so invited to accompany Him to Vaikunta...

.. Only Hanumaan refused to accompany ..

.. while all others gladly accepted Rama’s offer,

.. after that Awathaara was completed and so Hanukman was left behind on Earth.

Hanuman sought to continue on Earth, because he had already tasted the pleasure of SESHATHWAM (Sevakam)

.. but yet wanted to have the pleasure of PAARATHANTHRIYAM (Parhai) also more...

.. which is preferred by his Lord Rama / Narayana .. from any of His devotees ..

.. better than the SEVAKAM (Direct service to Himself.).

Similarly the Lord Narayana wanted His best Service-man Adhisesha too be endowed with the pleasure of the other one sort of service (Kainkarya) .. named Paarathanthriyam also ..

.. by which privelege, Adhisesha too can get the Attainment of PARIPOORNA -DHAASATHWAM ...

.. similar to Hanuman, who has consequently become God, Deity of worship.

Thus God made His best Servant Adhisesha too .. as God Ramanuja ..

.. (Thaan-Aana-Thirumeni).. in the same Body and Shape retained at Srirangam Temple precincts ..

.. being worshipped by his Disciples. .. at Moolavar Ramanuja Sannidhi .. now too

.. a Mystery and Miracle .. that Ramanuja is still alive in the same erstwhile body ..

.. even after about 1000 years of his completion of Awathara.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast