Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: IR concerts, TV shows and Interviews ...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes AA!

Thanks Svaisn! Never seen her before.

Cannot agree more Thumburu! SPB also mentioned that he, Das Annan (Jesudas), Janaki & the latest Chitra were all the luckiest to be associated with this man (the legend IR).

BTW, I forgot to mention about "Kajuraaho" song. As far as I remember, Shreya sung it well and Hariharan's improvisations in some places did not impress me.

thanks,

Krishnan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber svaisn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by krish244
    Yes AA!

Thanks Svaisn! Never seen her before.

Cannot agree more Thumburu! SPB also mentioned that he, Das Annan (Jesudas), Janaki & the latest Chitra were all the luckiest to be associated with this man (the legend IR).

BTW, I forgot to mention about "Kajuraaho" song. As far as I remember, Shreya sung it well and Hariharan's improvisations in some places did not impress me.

thanks,
    Krishnan
    Bhavatharini... was not upto the standarads.....
    May be she would have been tensed...

Hariharan spoilt the Kaatril varum geetham song also....
    Karthik -Happy Illa

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alwarpet_andavan
    Quote Originally Posted by svaisn
    where can we get the DVD/VCD??
    Chennaionline may negotiate with Jaya TV to get the DVD and VCD versions of the concert.
    That would be a collector's item if it is 'unedited'.What was shown on Jaya couple of days back was clearly edited.

Seeing the first part I really felt bad I was not part of the crowd.IR was very casual/carefree&connected very well with the audience.

krish has given an apt review.I agree with him on all the points esp the way Hariharan went overboard with his improvisations not only killing the songs but also sounding offkey.

Swarnalatha's rendering of 'adi Athadi'was bad.wish IR had replaced her with someone else.

Sreya ghosal was a revelation.Not only is she very pretty but also sings damn well.IR sonna madhiri,'Thoduthey'mistake-a mannichi vittidlam.

'Katril varum geethamay'had the singers completely clueless.Guess they did not have a proper reharsal together.

krish,
    As AA has mentioned you did not get the pun on Kamal by IR.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Show your appreciation by keeping quiet. I know you are used to big-time whistling and clapping and bringing the roof down in other shows. But this is a different show. There are pieces in the orchestration that you wont even find in the original records. So, show your joy by appreciating the finer aspects".

Thus spake the maestro kicking-off the programme. Immediately, you knew why this wasnt just another music director presenting just another "Live show". This was the maestro - and he was determined to leave his inimitable stamp. Which other performer would goad the audience not to clap?Not to shout? What supreme confidence this man has in his abilities, I thought at that moment, that he doesnt need to listen to huge uproars from blind, fanatic audience to know his worth. Only a genius such as him could have crossed that boundary and see the programme as an opportunity for his fans to partake more of his musical genius.

His voice trembled while rendering the inevitable "Janani Janani" to begin the show but that was only the cobwebs being shaken off after long years of not performing on stage. As he gestured for someone in the audience during the song, one wondered what was that only to be answered by Yuvan joining the chorus soon to eb joined by Karthik. Tears flowed down the eyes of a member of the audience, and why not?

Sadhana Sargam surprised everyone with a flawless rendering of Enna Solli Paduvadho, with Hariharan dutifully taking the role of "dhrishti bommai" with his exaggerated sangadhis and off-key rendition in many places. Shame on him. In contrast was his senior in the industry, the incomparable SPB, who gave "Mandram vandha thendral", the same energy and emotion 20 years after the original recording. What a shame then that Hari should end up with mroe songs than any one other than IR in the show.

The bond between SPB and his old friend was visible as the former playfully play-acted as if massaging Raja's back during Pothi Vecha Malligai Mottu, with Chitra filling in admirably for Janaki.

Chitra, easily the greatest discovery of Raja, rocked with Punnagai Mannan, too. Swarnalatha, a competent singer, however, disappointed with Adi Athadi.

That brings us to SG, not Sourav Ganguly, but Shreya Ghoshal - and she was as much in top form as the former is out of it. This young lady was nothing short of brilliant and won the hearts of the audience with a charming correction of her own mistakes - thoduthae for theduthae in Katril Endhan Geetham - during the song itself. Her respectful glance towards 'Raja uncle' when she corrected herself( ippo sariya irukka? kind of look) spoke volumes of the girl's attitude. Make no mistake, she is going to go places. IR displayed his unique sense of humour when he imitated Saroja Devi to drive home the point that we have always tolerated the 'stylish' rendition of tamil by people from other states. Keeping her competent company was Sadhana, who much to my surprise, hardly made any mistakes with her pronounciation in all of her songs.

Hurry Haram..er..HariHaran returned to butcher Ennai Thalatta varvalo with some needless improvisations. He continued this murderous form with Katril Varum Geethamae, leaving the other singers stumped - beyond a point, Sadhana and Shreya stopped singing not knowing what is going to come from him next.
    I am not going to comment on Bhavadharini's songs. Enna solla, nepotism is not unusual in human beings - IR reminded this when he spoke of how he instructed the orchestra to go slow during the rehearsals so as to facilitate his "little girl" to cope up with the demands. Bhava comes across as a sincere student but nothing more than that really.

Mahathi avoided the flashy and as compere, confined herself to discussing the ragam or the context of the songs to be sung. Good choice. Parthiban, as usual, pulled off his usual stunts, playing cheesily with words(covering Mahathi's flowers on the head with a basket was supposed to be an introduction for Pothi vecha malligai mottu - gawd!)and sycophantizing well enough.

Cant wait for the part 2 - especially since I seem to have missed the "not-in-original-records" part of the orchestra , atleast for the songs shown in part 1 of the TV programme. I guess he was probably referring to the 3-in-1 and the Thumbi Vaa. A thought crossed me as the title for the programme played Thumbi Vaa in flute - there is a tune that would sit well in a Symphony? Hmm.. Seivaaya Rasaiya?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looked as if the city was witnessing a total solar eclipse when people usually kept indoors.

The roads were virtually deserted and the noise level was low. But music wafted past one's ears while passing any house.
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    * deleted *

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this is a post for IR fans expressing their joy over his live concert, it would be nice if maddy and rajasaranam deletes their posts

IMHO, the concert cud have been more grand, made more popular than this, coz IR deserves something more and better......

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    * deleted *
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Vysar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast