Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARR and Selection of Singers..

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ARR and Selection of Singers..

When comes to selecting a correct Singer for the correct actor, ARR seems to be less interested.

He cares more about the song rather than how that song comes in the movie when it was sung by the hero or heroine. There are many such examples, BABA film where for Rajini , Karthick sang which didnt match at all. Same applies to Kamal in Thennali, where when you listen the song in Cassete player and compare the voice of the singer and imagine that was sung by Kamal, you never get that feeling.

I am not saying he does this mistake always, but there are many films where he does this kind of thing where he just focus on the song and not on the voice of the singer who sing that song.

another example is JODI , and song JEEVA for Prasanth

Why is he doing like that where the priority should be to the voice of the singer to match the person who sing in the movie than the song becoming hit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry but i tot Karthik's voice realy suited rajani.... dont u??
    hehe
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Senior Member Veteran Hubber dinesh2002's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    sorry but i tot Karthik's voice realy suited rajani.... dont u??
    hehe
    yea...for once a fresh voice for rajini! even shnnkar mahadevan suited rajini well,yes,sumtimes in some songs the voice doesnt suit the actor!! nothing is coming in my mind for now,but i know ARR did some mistakes in choosing singers for the actor/actress!! but few songs (non-arr) for anniyan andangkaka kondakarri....Shyera suited well for sada & KK suited well for Vikram,y the heck he ask jassie gift to sing??y?????? y 2 singers for 1 actor & no 1 complain about this????
    Madhushree's HERO (Tamil Version) feat. Tale Spin, Lyrics by me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqPYBSABOWc

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vimal, gud point raised....ARR has a theory behind this selection of singers........i read in an interview (pretty long back) that ARR likes to change things than being boringly routine.......this exactly xplains how much guts he had when tried Udit Naryan for superstar for kulu valiley(muthu), he could have been crucified by rajni fans and tamil acitivists for that song but the song was hugely popular........he has done many innovative things like avoiding Alka Yagnik in Hindi for almost 5 yrs b4 giving her a chance in kabhi na kabhi song cos HFM was getting so boring with alka ruling the roost......

the flip side of this theory is however the songs that u pointed out like jeeva song in jodi and maari mazhai song in uzhavan........but i personally feel ARR is more gutsy and innovative than MSV/IR/YSR/HJ to add a different flavor in each song.....it is like u eat a vanilla ice-cream only to find a chocolate layer beneath it which makes it delectable.....hope it answers ur quest.......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

NOthing about guts

Hello Maddy,
    I feel there is nothing about Guts in this issue.If Arr is a new Musician and if he tried then we can say that as guts, but when he was new he never tried anything like this. He used SPB for most of the difficult song and his choice of new singers were meant only for Pirabhu Deva.
    But this trend is most visible in the last 6 or 7 years
    eg. Muthu, Kulivalile-- The song is very good for hearing but never ever matches Rajini, and it look so odd when seeing the movie, and it cleary shows that Thalaivar just moving his lips and not singing. For a new Face i agree with this experiment but for an established Legend like Rajini or Kamal it really sounds horrible when seeing the movie. ( i agree that songs sound great when listening).

The song should depend on the movie and Actors who act in that movie and not the contrary, but with ARR i found that he is more interested in making the song a hit (for he have a share in the audio cassete sale) Rather than how it implies to the actor or actress who sing that in movie. And this is one of the reason why his bgm are not spoken so widely as with IR, and my impression is , he dont give importance to BGM or actor but just ask the situation and creates song which he feel sound good.

Singers like SPB Malaysia Vasudevan Jesudass had special talent in changing the way they sing to different actors, for you find SPB singing to rajini and SPB singing to T.Rajendar are completely different and you wonder how in the world he has able to do that, and that is the secret. But new singers dont have the same adaptability and that is why so many songs when listened sound great and when seen in the film dont give a realistic effect that the song is sung by the actors of the film, which eventually destroys the reality of the movie.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    dude, IR has not experimented even after 20 years in TFM..now only i see IR using new singers.......

dude, ARR was the one who bought Hariharan,Shankar mahadevan, Krishna kumar menon(KK), sukhwinder singh, karthik, reintroduced unni menon, sujatha, unni krishnan....if this is not innovation for u then u r the best IR-fan .....ok then can u xplain y todays MDs run after udit to make a hit song???? y do all MDs follow something which ARR invented???

boss listen to ARR's bgms in swades and bose and if u still think he is bad at BGMs then i dunt think we will agree on anything in life......

i completely disagree with ur comment that today's singers do not the capability of yester-year singers........Harrish raghavendra,karthik, KK are all so exciting.........if not given oppurtunities how will they prove themmselves??

vimal dude, on a personal level u have a major problem with IR's fanatism......u think watever IR did is rite and ARR, all other mds need to follow that....if they r different from IR then u seem to have a problem with it.....this was evident from the fact that u accuse ARR of having a motive to make the songs hit for getting money on cassete sales....this is ridiculuos.....then y doesent IR distribute TIS cds for charity instead of selling it for money....does that mean even IR has a motive for earning money only??????
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    yea,all the major big star singers r all from ARR's songs,even SPB loves ARR and once he said that he wouldnt mind to even touch his feet ( during the apriciattion function of MSV-Ramumoorthy during 1998 i think) now a big singer like SPB to say this is something really really a major matter to think about! just check out this interview :

WHAT is the one thing that has made you what you are today?

I can't limit it to one thing. But definitely it is passion, dedication,
    enthusiasm,
    well-wishers, all my singers and my team.

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/10/02/...0200460500.htm

something which not every MD would say!! even Singer sujatha was intro by IR,but was popularised by ARR in Roja with Pudhu Vellai Mazhai!! u see Naresh Iyer,a young 16 years old boy was given a big chance to sing in Ah Aah for a big director! same goes to BABA,now karthik can proudly say he sang songs for Rajini in films b4!!
    Madhushree's HERO (Tamil Version) feat. Tale Spin, Lyrics by me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqPYBSABOWc

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dhinesh,
    The problem is not about him giving chances to younsters,
    and it is not a problem of giving chances only to big singers,

the problem is chosing the correct singer for correct actor or actress.

i agree that Arr introduced lot of young singers but that is not the issue here,

introducing lot of heros is not the skill of a director, but to introduce the correct hero for the correct subject is the real issue or skill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vimalpercy
    Hello Dhinesh,
    The problem is not about him giving chances to younsters,
    and it is not a problem of giving chances only to big singers,

the problem is chosing the correct singer for correct actor or actress.

i agree that Arr introduced lot of young singers but that is not the issue here,

introducing lot of heros is not the skill of a director, but to introduce the correct hero for the correct subject is the real issue or skill.

yes vimal,i agree,ARR has done few mistakes,he is not perfect too i know.....but u should know not only ARR does this mistakes,everyone too! i think our latest mds r doing many many mistakes in this esp...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vimal! Ur concern about ARR in every post of yrs (remember sankarabharanam) is praiseworthy in IR threads and not here. Why the same concern doesnt arise when his masterpieces are blemished by the directors in picturisation.

U say karthik, singing for Rajni doesnt suit. I can produce some musical reviews for ur wisdom which praised Rahman for choosing Karthik a young guy singing for Rajini maturedly. The same goes for Udit & Shankar singing for Rajni. U know better than SS Rajni (Rahman & Director) whose voice suits better for him. How long your so called genius was riding back on the legend SPB. Take the list of SPB songs and analyse how many would have turned out utter crap If someone else had sung for it.

Why you ppl dont come when he and his son are after Shreya, Sonu & Sadhana Sargam...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast