Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ayn Rand's Fountain Head

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    podi printi-il 679 pages padichchi mudichathu periya saathanai- ippadi oru subject novel-ai!!!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Times Higher published a piece on Ayn Rand's 'philosophy' a few months ago, reflecting on her thoughts against the backdrop of the financial meltdown of the past couple of years. I rather liked the piece, but I would, seeing that I don't like Ayn Rand at all:

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...ode=408138&c=1
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link podalai.

It has to be said once and for all, loud and clear. Adam Smith did NOT say that free market is great no matter what. He lists the conditions (like liberty, for starters !) under which a free market ideal can be achieved. His whole emphasis was on those conditions. But he has been presented by many - including economists as if he mentioned those conditions as minor ones that can be assumed away.

I have a vague feeling that I am quoting something that you quoted earlier, anyway I will..

Noam Chomsky fuming about Adam Smith's legacy

What we would call capitalism (Adam Smith) despised. People read snippets of Adam Smith, the few phrases they teach in school. Everybody reads the first paragraph of The Wealth of Nations where he talks about how wonderful the division of labor is. But not many people get to the point hundreds of pages later, where he says that division of labor will destroy human beings and turn people into creatures as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human being to be. And therefore in any civilized society the government is going to have to take some measures to prevent division of labor from proceeding to its limits.

He did give an argument for markets, but the argument was that under conditions of perfect liberty, markets will lead to perfect equality. That’s the argument for them, because he thought that equality of condition (not just opportunity) is what you should be aiming at. It goes on and on.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_R
    It has to be said once and for all, loud and clear. Adam Smith did NOT say that free market is great no matter what. He lists the conditions (like liberty, for starters !) under which a free market ideal can be achieved. His whole emphasis was on those conditions. But he has been presented by many - including economists as if he mentioned those conditions as minor ones that can be assumed away.
    Yes, we have discussed this before. The problem goes back to the 19th century, when Liberals (i.e., the Liberal Party as it then existed in the UK) reinterpreted the thoughts of Adam Smith in a manner that seemed to support for the policies they sought to promote. That's become the dominant interpretation of Smith since them. Of course, Smith could hardly have been an 19th century liberal - considering he lived in the 18th century rather than the 19th century.

The other thing which nobody does is to read The wealth of nations together with his Theory of Moral Sentiments. People (economists) usually say his Theory of Moral Sentiments represents his early thoughts, whereas The wealth of nations represents his later, more mature thoughts. The only trouble with this theory is that Adam Smith didn't issue the definitive edition of Theory of Moral Sentiments until many years after The wealth of nations. So yes, Adam Smith is perhaps one of the most misinterpreted philosophers of modern times. I strongly recommend Donald Winch's Adam Smith's Politics if you're interested in reading up on what Smith actually meant, or D.D. Raphael's Adam Smith.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sundararaj
    Atlas Shrugged is another of her famous books. It is true that she herself was very much affected by these writings and she led a retarded life at the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    At the rate of about 10 to 20 pages a day I have finished reading Rand's 'Fountainhead'. Not a gripping story to sit through nights & finish it off! A sort of medicine, a sharp tasting one, to be taken in doses!!!
    PP Ma'am...This is the best review from you!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any sarcasm? Thanks, all the same! I somehow can't understand people raving about this book!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any sarcasm? Thanks, all the same! I somehow can't understand people raving about this book!
    oh not at all! Serious!

I am struggling to write a review for Atlas Shrugged for my blog. I could use your help.

My views are mixed.

She is a good writer from angles of those litt graduates who fancy complicated sentences.
    My view is that she's a good writer but not a good fiction-writer or novelist because she lacks originality. What is so creative about writing one's own life story and putting out all her frustrations in a creative format.

I could do that too. I often come up with stories that directly take a shot at what/who I don't like as intensely as Ayn Rand does.

I seriously don't think she's a philosophical or literature genius. But she is a good writer. If I were an English teacher, I'd give her a good grade. I also happen to discuss her novel so often 'cause of it's content, not because I think she is great. Speaking about how rules and laws are often framed to cover up for people's incompetencies (of CYA as you can say it in corporate jargon), Ayn Rand's masterpiece makes a very good example, but I completely lack the intelligence to understand her philosophy of objectivism.

Towards the end of Atlas Shrugged, it's more of sci-fi. Imaginary place hidden between mountains and an awesomely creative way of generating power. After much strain, you finish the book and you feel " hmmm, okay" and then you read Ayn Rand's biography and you'll say "sheesh, yuck".

It makes you realize, her work was no creativity at all. It's more like "victim-talk".

Secondly, her personal life - though shouldn't be the criteria of judgment for her novels, but considering it is supposed to be a work on philosophy, I have the interest to know her as a person before I buy her philosophy. Her personal life and her views on it are disgusting. Shows how much her philosophy is going to be on the same lines.

Sighs, I don't think I made much sense in the lines above, but I am still struggling to sit down and write a perfect, satisfying review on Ayn Rand and her work.

Post Thanks / Like
    chevy, I fully understand what you mean. Fortunately or unfortunately I haven't read Atlas Shrugged. One is enough for me!!! Not keen on reading more from a weird person with weird philosophies! You are right- good grammatical English is essential but if it stops with just that- fails to arouse the curiosity and admiration of the reader it is a waste of time to continue reading. Don't we admire great essayists like Lamb, Pope, Johnson and so on? There is food for thought and exquisite use of words.
    It is generally accepted one should not think about the writer's personal life. But it is hard to follow this rule. At least the work must be of extraordinary talent and beauty. Then I'm willing to give the devil his due, thanking my stars I'm not in any way personally related to such a 'person'.
    Ayn Rand's theory of objectivism may be true but it is ugly, defeats all norms of decency and social adaptation. Better there are only few geniuses born if this is their personal philosophy of life and principles of living!!!
    I don't know if what I say makes sense to you- I fail often to convince or communicate: so strong are my likes and dislikes, so little I care about criticisms and adverse views. Not very good, I should say! But can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? I'm content to be myself and willing to let each one to his own opinions! How magnanimous! Age is mellowing me?

Post Thanks / Like
    chevy, I fully understand what you mean. Fortunately or unfortunately I haven't read Atlas Shrugged. One is enough for me!!! Not keen on reading more from a weird person with weird philosophies! You are right- good grammatical English is essential but if it stops with just that- fails to arouse the curiosity and admiration of the reader it is a waste of time to continue reading. Don't we admire great essayists like Lamb, Pope, Johnson and so on? There is food for thought and exquisite use of words.
    It is generally accepted one should not think about the writer's personal life. But it is hard to follow this rule. At least the work must be of extraordinary talent and beauty. Then I'm willing to give the devil his due, thanking my stars I'm not in any way personally related to such a 'person'.
    Ayn Rand's theory of objectivism may be true but it is ugly, defeats all norms of decency and social adaptation. Better there are only few geniuses born if this is their personal philosophy of life and principles of living!!!
    I don't know if what I say makes sense to you- I fail often to convince or communicate: so strong are my likes and dislikes, so little I care about criticisms and adverse views. Not very good, I should say! But can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? I'm content to be myself and willing to let each one to his own opinions! How magnanimous! Age is mellowing me?
    Oh goodness gracious!! PP Ma'am. Now that is so like me. I totally lack the ability to convince despite having strong views that should logically be accompanied with strong reasoning. I doubt if age starts mellowing at 20 and I don't want it to and change, I've been thinking about that. Change seems to be absolutely necessary for me unless I am willing to let those unacceptable views pass by me and keep my mouth zipped.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast