Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Anecdotes

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After 21 years of marriage, I discovered a new way of keeping alive the spark of love. A little while ago I started to go out with another woman. It was really my wife's idea.

"I know that you love her," she said one day, taking me by surprise.

"But I love YOU," I protested.

"I know, but you also love her."

The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit was my mother, who has been a widow for 19 years The demands of my work and my three children had made it possible to visit her only occasionally. That night I called to invite her to go out for dinner and a movie.

"What's wrong, are you okay ?" she asked. My mother is the type of woman who suspects that a late night call or a surprise invitation is a sign of bad news.

"I thought that it would be nice to spend some time with you," I responded.

"Just the two of us?" She thought about it for a moment, then said, "I would like that very much."

That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick her up I was a bit nervous. When I arrived at her house, I noticed that she, too, seemed to be nervous about our "date." She waited in the door with her coat on. She had curled her hair and was wearing the dress that she had worn to celebrate her last wedding anniversary. She smiled from a face that was as radiant as an angel's.

"I told my friends that I was going to go out with my son, and they were impressed," she said, as she got into the car. "They can't wait to hear about our meeting."

We went to a restaurant that, although not elegant, was very nice and cozy. My mother took my arm as if she were the First Lady. After we sat down, I had to read the menu. Her eyes could only read large print. Half way through the entrees, I lifted my eyes and saw Mom sitting there staring
    at me. A nostalgic smile was on her lips.

"It was I who used to read the menu when you were small," she said.

"Then it's time that you relax and let me return the favor," I responded.

During the dinner we had an agreeable conversation – nothing extraordinary - but catching up on recent events of each other's life. We talked so much that we missed the movie. As we arrived at her house later, she said, "I'll go out with you again, but only if you let me invite you."

I agreed.

"How was your dinner date?" asked my wife when I got home.

"Very nice. Much more so than I could have imagined," I answered.

A few days later my mother died of a massive heart attack. It happened so suddenly that I didn't have a chance to do anything for her. Some time later I received an envelope with a copy of a restaurant receipt from the same place my mother and I had dined. An attached note read: "Son, I paid this bill in advance. I was almost sure that I couldn't be there but, nevertheless, I paid for two plates - one for you and the other for your wife. You will never know what that night meant for me. I love you."

At that moment I understood the importance of saying, in time: "I LOVE YOU" and to give our loved ones the time that they deserve. Nothing in life is more important than your family. Give them the time they deserve, because these things cannot be put off till "some other time."
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal after you've had a baby ... that somebody doesn't know that once you're a mother, "Normal," is history.

Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct ... that somebody never took a three-year-old shopping.

Somebody said being a mother is boring ... that somebody never rode in a car driven by a teenager with a driver's permit.

Somebody said if you're a "good" mother, your child will "turn out good." that somebody thinks a child comes with directions and a guarantee.

Somebody said "good" mothers never raise their voices .... that somebody never came out the back door just in time to see her child hit a golf ball through the neighbor's kitchen window.

Somebody said you don't need an education to be a mother ... that somebody never helped a fourth grader with his math.

Somebody said you can't love the fifth child as much as you love the first. That somebody doesn't have five children.

Somebody said a mother can find all the answers to her child-rearing questions in the books ... that somebody never had a child stuff beans up his nose or in his ears.

Somebody said the hardest part of being a mother is labor and delivery .. that somebody never watched her "baby" get on the bus for the first day of kindergarten. or on a plane headed for military "boot camp."

Somebody said a mother can do her job with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back ... that somebody never organized seven giggling Brownies to sell cookies.

Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child gets married .. that somebody doesn't know that marriage adds a new son or daughter-in-law to a mother's heartstrings.

Somebody said a mother's job is done when her last child leaves home ... that somebody never had grandchildren.

Somebody said your mother knows you love her, so you don't need to tell her .. that somebody isn't a mother.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cindy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of you might have got the following messages before...this is for those who have not...

I ran into a stranger as he passed by,
    Oh excuse me please" was my reply.
    He said, "Please excuse me too;
    I wasn't watching for you."
    We were very polite, this stranger and I.
    We went on our way and we said good-bye.
    But at home a different story is told,
    How we treat our loved ones, young and old.
    Later that day, cooking the evening meal,
    My son stood beside me very still.
    When I turned, I nearly knocked him down.
    "Move out of the way," I said with a frown.
    He walked away, his little heart broken.
    I didn't realize how harshly I'd spoken.
    While I lay awake in bed,
    God's still small voice came to me and said,
    While dealing with a stranger, common courtesy you use,
    But the children you love, you seem to abuse.
    Go and look on the kitchen floor,
    You'll find some flowers there by the door.
    Those are the flowers he brought for you.
    He picked them himself: pink, yellow and blue.
    He stood very quietly not to spoil the surprise,
    You never saw the tears that filled his little eyes."
    By this time, I felt very small,
    And now my tears began to fall.
    I quietly went and knelt by his bed;
    Wake up, little one, wake up," I said.
    Are these the flowers you picked for me?"
    He smiled, "I found 'em, out by the tree.
    I picked 'em because they're pretty like you.
    I knew you'd like 'em, especially the blue."
    I said, "Son, I'm very sorry for the way I acted today;
    I shouldn't have yelled at you that way."
    He said, "Oh, Mom, that's okay. I love you anyway."
    I said, "Son, I love you too, and I do like the flowers,
    especially the blue."

Are you aware that if we died tomorrow, The company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family we left behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than into our own family, an unwise investment indeed, don't you think? So what is behind the story?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know what the word FAMILY means? FAMILY =

( F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER (I) (L)OVE (Y)OU

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't love someone because they're beautiful. They're beautiful because you love them.

Its true you don't know what you've got until its gone, but its also true you don't know what you've been missing until it arrives!!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    Its true you don't know what you've got until its gone, but its also true you don't know what you've been missing until it arrives!!!
    You mention Bdolf?
    Though we all know this we hurt each other. What do you say moderator?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow i can only sit in awe after reading all these ancedotes..sorry i have nothing to contribute but my intermediate messages of thanx

Post Thanks / Like
    'How long will you be poring over that newspaper? Will you come here right away and make your darling daughter eat her food?'

I tossed the paper away and rushed to the scene. My only daughter Sindu looked frightened. Tears were welling up in her eyes.
    In front of her was a bowl filled to its brim with Curd Rice.

Sindu is a nice child, quite intelligent for her age. She has just turned eight. She particularly detested Curd Rice. My mother and my wife are orthodox, and believe firmly in the 'cooling effects'
    of Curd Rice!

I cleared my throat, and picked up the bowl. "Sindu, darling, why don't you take a few mouthful of this Curd Rice? Just for Dad's sake, dear. And, if you don't, your Mom will shout at me'

I could sense my wife's scowl behind my back. Sindu softened a bit, and wiped her tears with the back of her hands. 'OK, Dad.
    I will eat - not just a few mouthfuls, but the whole lot of this.
    But, you should...' Sindu hesitated. 'Dad, if I eat this entire Curd
    Rice, will you give me whatever I ask for?'

'Oh sure, darling'.

'Promise?'

'Promise'. I covered the pink soft hand extended by my daughter with mine, and clinched the deal.

'Ask Mom also to give a similar promise', my daughter insisted. My wife slapped her hand on Sindu's, muttering 'Promise', without any emotion. Now I became a bit anxious. 'Sindumma, you shouldn't
    insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items. Dad does not have that kind of money right now. OK?'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive'. Slowly and painfully, she finished eating the whole quantity. I was silently angry with my wife and my mother for forcing my child eat something that she
    detested.

After the ordeal was through, Sindu came to me with her eyes wide with expectation. All our attention was on her. 'Dad, I want to have my head shaved off, this Sunday!' was her demand!

'Atrocious!' shouted my wife, 'a girl child having her head shaved off? Impossible!'.

'Never in our family!' my mother rasped. 'She has been watching too much of television. Our culture is getting totally spoiled with these TV programs!'

'Sindumma, why don't you ask for something else? We will be sad seeing you with a clean-shaven head.'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything else', Sindu said with finality. 'Please, Sindu, why don't you try to understand our feelings?' I tried to plead with her.

'Dad, you saw how difficult it was for me to eat that Curd Rice'. Sindu was in tears. 'And you promised to grant me whatever I ask for. Now, you are going back on your words. Was it not you who told me the story of King Harishchandra, and its moral that we should honour our promises no matter what?'

It was time for me to call the shots. 'Our promise must be kept.'

'Are you out your mind?' chorused my mother and wife.

'No. If we go back on our promises, she will never learn to honour her own. Sindu, your wish will be fulfilled.'

With her head clean-shaven, Sindu had a round-face, and her eyes looked big & beautiful.

On Monday morning, I dropped her at her school. It was a sight to watch my hairless Sindu walking towards her classroom. She
    turned around and waved.

I waved back with a smile. Just then, a boy alighted from a car, and
    shouted, 'Sinduja, please wait for me!'

What struck me was the hairless head of that boy. 'May be, that is the in-stuff', I thought.

'Sir, your daughter Sinduja is great indeed!' Without introducing herself, a lady got out of the car, and continued, 'That boy who is walking along with your daughter is my son Harish. He is
    suffering from ... ... leukaemia.'

She paused to muffle her sobs. 'Harish could not attend the school for the whole of the last month. He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the chemotherapy. He refused to come back to school fearing the unintentional but cruel teasing of the schoolmates.
    Sinduja visited him last week, and promised him that she will take
    care of the teasing issue. But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for the sake of my son! Sir, you and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your daughter.'

I stood transfixed. And then, I wept. 'My little Angel, will you grant me a boon? Should there be another birth for me, will you be my mother, and teach me what Love is?'

(BY VARALOTTI RENGASAMY IN SUNDAY HERALD

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Nov - That was a beautiful story! Brought the tears to my eyes, as I read it! The power of compassion is boundless, Pa!!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems the daughter is much brighter than the father. Who wonders? If have to take care of all these internet frauds I do become dull.

Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast