Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Anecdotes

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At an airport, I overheard a father and his daughter in their last moments together. They had announced her plane's departure and standing near the door she said, "Daddy, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough too, Daddy."

They kissed good-bye and she left. He walked over towards the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?"

"Yes, I have," I replied. Saying that brought back memories I had of expressing my love and appreciation for all my Dad had done for me. Recognizing that his days were limited, I took the time to tell him face to face how much he meant to me. So I knew what this man was experiencing.

"Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?" I asked. "I am old and she lives much too far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is, her next trip back will be for my funeral," he said.

"When you were saying good-bye I heard you say, 'I wish you enough, may I ask what that means?"

He began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone."

He paused for a moment and looking up as if trying to remember it in detail, he smiled even more. "When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with enough good things to sustain them"

He continued and then, turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory:
    I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
    I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
    I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
    I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
    I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
    I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
    I wish you enough "Hellos" to get you through the final "Good-bye."

He then began to sob and walked away.
    They say, "It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but an entire lifetime to forget them"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seven World Wonders

A group of students were asked to list what they thought were the present "Seven Wonders of the World." Though there were some disagreements, the following received the most votes: 1. Egypt's Great Pyramids
    2. Taj Mahal
    3. Grand Canyon
    4. Panama Canal
    5. Empire State Building
    6. St. Peter's Basilica
    7. China's Great Wall

While gathering the votes, the teacher noted that one student had not finished her paper yet. So she asked the girl if she was having trouble with her list. The girl replied, "Yes, a little. I couldn't quite make up my mind because there were so many."

The teacher said, "Well, tell us what you have, and maybe we can help."

The girl hesitated, then read, "I think the 'Seven Wonders of the World' are:
    1. To See
    2. To Hear
    3. To Touch
    4. To Taste
    5. To Feel
    6. To Laugh
    7. And to Love."

The room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.

The things we overlook as simple and ordinary and that we take for granted are truly wondrous!

The most precious things in life cannot be built by hand or bought by man.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekhar
    Thank you.. Scorpio, NM, Roshan for your beautiful posts.Though, I decided many times not to visit FH due to over prevalent animosity, hubbers like you and your contributions always have brought me back.
    Shekhar dear....thanks for compliment..... .tho' I'm merely a poster of these.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy
    These are real pearls dear friends.... and of course saved to my fav's and forwarding to all my contacts...
    Glad you've enjoyed these, Cindy....and yep, have heard abt that lost of 60seconds of happiness and also, when we're angry, over 10000 brain cells die too..(don't know how far it's true..better be cautious, else we'll end up in an asylum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    The things we overlook as simple and ordinary and that we take for granted are truly wondrous!
    I truly agree with this one, Q.. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    They say, "It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but an entire lifetime to forget them"
    ..Q...you've made me cry !!! LOVED it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday is
    already a dream
    and tomorrow
    is only a vision
    But today
    well lived
    makes every yesterday
    a dream of happiness
    and
    every tomorrow
    a vision of hope

-author unknown-

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A girl asked a guy if he thought she was pretty, He said...no.
    She asked him if he would want to be with her forever....and he
    said no.

She then asked him if she were to leave would he cry, and once
    again he replied with a no.

She had heard enough.

As she walked away, tears streaming down her face The boy grabbed her arm and said....

You're not pretty you're beautiful.
    I don't want to be with you forever.
    I NEED to be with you forever.
    And I wouldn't cry if you walked away...I'd die...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Cygnus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    awwww....a.r! That was lovely
    Happy Valentine's !

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking of You
    By Alicia von Stamwitz

Sophie's face faded into the gray winter light of the sitting room. She dozed in the armchair that Joe had bought for her on their fortieth anniversary. The room was warm and quiet. Outside it was snowing lightly.

At a quarter past one the mailman turned the corner onto Allen Street. He was behind on his route, not because of the snow, but because it was Valentine's Day and there was more mail than usual. He passed Sophie's house without looking up. Twenty minutes later he climbed back into his truck and drove off.

Sophie stirred when she heard the mail truck pull away, then took off her glasses and wiped her mouth and eyes with the handkerchief she always carried in her sleeve. She pushed herself up using the arm of the chair for support, straightened slowly and smoothed the lap of her dark green housedress.

Her slippers made a soft, shuffling sound on the bare floor as she walked to the kitchen. She stopped at the sink to wash the two dishes she had left on the counter after lunch. Then she filled a plastic cup halfway with water and took her pills. It was one forty-five.

There was a rocker in the sitting room by the front window. Sophie eased herself into it. In a half-hour the children would be passing by on their way home from school. Sophie waited, rocking and watching the snow.

The boys came first, as always, running and calling out things Sophie could not hear. Today they were making snowballs as they went, throwing them at one another. One snowball missed and smacked hard into Sophie's window. She jerked backward, and the rocker slipped off the edge of her oval rag rug.

The girls dilly-dallied after the boys, in twos and threes, cupping their mittened hands over their mouths and giggling. Sophie wondered if they were telling each other about the valentines they had received at school. One pretty girl with long brown hair stopped and pointed to the window where Sophie sat watching. Sophie slipped her face behind the drapes, suddenly self-conscious.

When she looked out again, the boys and girls were gone. It was cold by the window, but she stayed there watching the snow cover the children's footprints.

A florist's truck turned onto Allen Street. Sophie followed it with her eyes. It was moving slowly. Twice it stopped and started again. Then the driver pulled up in front of Mrs. Mason's house next door and parked.

Who would be sending Mrs. Mason flowers? Sophie wondered. Her daughter in Wisconsin? Or her brother? No, her brother was very ill. It was probably her daughter. How nice of her.

Flowers made Sophie think of Joe and, for a moment, she let the aching memory fill her. Tomorrow was the fifteenth. Eight months since his death.

The flower man was knocking at Mrs. Mason's front door. He carried a long white and green box and a clipboard. No one seemed to be answering. Of course! It was Friday  Mrs. Mason quilted at the church on Friday afternoons. The delivery man looked around, then started toward Sophie's house.

Sophie shoved herself out of the rocker and stood close to the drapes. The man knocked. Her hands trembled as she straightened her hair. She reached her front hall on his third knock.

"Yes?" she said, peering around a slightly opened door.

"Good afternoon, ma'am," the man said loudly. "Would you take a delivery for your neighbor?"

"Yes," Sophie answered, pulling the door wide open.

"Where would you like me to put them?" the man asked politely as he strode in.

"In the kitchen, please. On the table." The man looked big to Sophie. She could hardly see his face between his green cap and full beard. Sophie was glad he left quickly, and she locked the door after him.

The box was as long as the kitchen table. Sophie drew near to it and bent over to read the lettering: "NATALIE'S Flowers for Every Occasion." The rich smell of roses engulfed her. She closed her eyes and took slower breaths, imagining yellow roses. Joe had always chosen yellow. "To my sunshine," he would say, presenting the extravagant bouquet. He would laugh delightedly, kiss her on the forehead, then take her hands in his and sing to her "You Are My Sunshine."

It was five o'clock when Mrs. Mason knocked at Sophie's front door. Sophie was still at the kitchen table. The flower box was now open though, and she held the roses on her lap, swaying slightly and stroking the delicate yellow petals. Mrs. Mason knocked again, but Sophie did not hear her, and after several minutes the neighbor left.

Sophie rose a little while later, laying the flowers on the kitchen table. Her cheeks were flushed. She dragged a stepstool across the kitchen floor and lifted a white porcelain vase from the top corner cabinet. Using a drinking glass, she filled the vase with water, then tenderly arranged the roses and greens, and carried them into the sitting room.
    She was smiling as she reached the middle of the room. She turned slightly and began to dip and twirl in small slow circles. She stepped lightly, gracefully, around the sitting room, into the kitchen, down the hall, back again. She danced till her knees grew weak, and then she dropped into the armchair and slept.

At a quarter past six, Sophie awoke with a start. Someone was knocking on the back door this time. It was Mrs. Mason.

"Hello, Sophie," Mrs. Mason said. "How are you? I knocked at five and was a little worried when you didn't come. Were you napping?" She chattered as she wiped her snowy boots on the welcome mat and stepped inside. "I just hate the snow, don't you? The radio says we might have six inches by midnight, but you can never trust them, you know. Do you remember last winter when they predicted four inches and we had twenty-one? Twenty-one! And they said we'd have a mild winter this year. Ha! I don't think it's been over zero in weeks. Do you know my oil bill was $263 last month? For my little house!"

Sophie was only half-listening. She had remembered the roses suddenly and was turning hot with shame. The empty flower box was behind her on the kitchen table. What would she say to Mrs. Mason?

"I don't know how much longer I can keep paying the bills. If only Alfred, God bless him, had been as careful with money as your Joseph. Joseph! Oh, good heavens! I almost forgot about the roses."

Sophie's cheeks burned. She began to stammer an apology, stepping aside to reveal the empty box.

"Oh, good," Mrs. Mason interrupted. "You put the roses in water. Then you saw the card. I hope it didn't startle you to see Joseph's handwriting. Joseph had asked me to bring you the roses the first year, so I could explain for him. He didn't want to alarm you. His 'Rose Trust,' I think he called it. He arranged it with the florist last April. Such a good man, your Joseph..."

But Sophie had stopped listening. Her heart was pounding as she picked up the small white envelope she had missed earlier. It had been lying beside the flower box all the time. With trembling hands, she removed the card.

"To my sunshine," it said. "I love you with all my heart. Try to be happy when you think of me. Love, Joe."
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    Thinking of You
    By Alicia von Stamwitz
    "To my sunshine," it said. "I love you with all my heart. Try to be happy when you think of me. Love, Joe."
    Nov..that was very sweet! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Post Thanks / Like
    A View of the Big Picture
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was an apprentice in a Hindu temple in ancient India who was complained about almost everything.

The apprentice's guru, in his wisdom, noticed the young man's incessant complaining, so, one day, he asked the boy to fetch a small container of salt.

He told the boy to place some salt in a cup of water and drink it. The boy did as he was told.

"How does it taste?" asked the guru.

"Bitter" answered the boy.

The guru then brought the boy to a lake and told him to toss some salt into the lake.

"Now drink some water from the lake," the guru instructed. The boy did just that.

"How does it taste? Is it bitter?"

"It doesn't taste bitter here," responded the boy.

The moral of the story is that life is not always a bed of roses. It can be painful at times. If you put that pain in a cup, it's very bitter. So think of yourself not as a cup, but as a lake.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NM,

That seems like a typical Zen story. Enlightening!
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Page 13 of 113 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast