Page 48 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Thattai,
    Thanks for the mail..I sure appreciate it..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Gothsu

Hello Mrs. Mano,

How are you?

Recently I tried the White Kurma from your recipes list. It was tasting too good - we had it with Chappathi as well as with Idli. Goes well with both. I'm thinking of make it little more watery and trying it with Idiyappam too. Just thought of letting you know

Ok, I also have a question. I need to make Gothsu that goes with Ven pongal (milagu pongal) for a gathering we have with our local tamil community here on Friday. I checked in your recipe list for any variations you might have listed and found you had 2 types:
    Potato - Kathrikai gothsu
    Tomato - Kathrikai gothsu

In my opinion I thought Tomato-Kathrikai would go well with Pongal than the other one. What do you think?
    Also, I know people add boiled paasi paruppu (for thick consistency) to Gothsu. Will that be good?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
    Nalabaagam.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

want recipe

Hello thatai

can u send the entire collection of Mrs mano to this id
    gkals@rediffmail.com

thanks a lot
    from kals

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nalabaagam!
    Both kosthu recipes are the best accopmpaniments for ven pongal. But potato-katharikkai kothsu is easy to make.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Brussel Sprouts - Recipe

Hi all, I apologize for stealing Mrs. Mano's forum to post my recipe. But I just could'nt resist after I read someone's post inquiring about Brussel sprouts! Wow..I thought I was the only one who liked brussel sprouts!!! Ok, Brussel sprouts, or 'kilai kos' as they are called are small cabbage-like vegetables. People from the hills must be familiar with this vegetable. Its green and its a great vegetable to cook with meat! So for all you meat lovers, here's a recipe for you! (Its my own recipe, drawn from my mom's more south-indian version)

Lamb Curry with Brussel Sprouts serves about 4-5

Ingredients:

Oil - 2 tbs
    Large onions - 3-4 finely chopped
    Tomato - 1 large chopped
    Whole spices - 1 & 1/2 tbs
    (cumin, fennel, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon..you can use ground spices- about 1 tsp if you dont like picking out whole spices. But whole spices seem to work best for me)
    Curd - 1 cup beaten
    Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbs
    Chilly powder - 2 tsp
    Coriander powder (Dhania) - 4 tsp
    Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
    Pepper - 1/2 tsp
    Salt - 1.5 - 2 tbs (I never use a spoon!)
    Lamb or Goat meat (the stew-size is best. I prefer with bones) - 3 lbs
    Brussel sprouts - 15 nos

Preparation Method

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Fry the whole spices until a light brown and add onions and ginger garlic paste. Fry over medium until onion turns transparent. Add chopped tomato and add turmeric, chilly, pepper and coriander powder and fry till tomato turns mushy and oil separates.
    Wash the meat and add to the masala along with salt and stir it in so meat is entirely coated with masala. Add half-a-cup water and close lid and let cook on medium for about 5 minutes. Add the beaten curd to the curry and stir it in and let cook again for 15 mins, stirring at regular intervals until meat is cooked, the gravy thick and oil separates. Add the brussel sprouts, whole and stir them in so they are coated in gravy. Close lid and cook for 5 minutes.

Note: Add the brussel sprouts at the very last because they tend to cook very quick and lose their flavor if cooked to mush. They can either be halved or added whole, as they absorb the flavor. All other English vegetables like carrots, peas, potato, cauliflower, Brocoli and turnips work just fine too. Also, while adding the whole spices, an extra tsp of cumin (jeera) can be added, for those who like it. This curry is thick and is great with rotis and rice!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kals and Helen,

The files have been mailed to you.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot Thattai!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Suganthi!
    Thanks a lot for the feedback on ribbon pakoda!
    Yes, I have the recipes for omappodi and thenkuzhal. If you want, I will post them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Pr!
    About using the garlic either as paste or chopped pieces- it is good for health. It will not cause acidity. Consuming raw garlic only cause acidity. If you boil a cup of milk with 6 or 8 garlic flakes [medium flakes] and then consume the garlic milk continuously for a month, it will definitely reduce the cholesterol level. It is a good medicine also.
    Here is the recipe for Naan. This is my friend’s recipe. You can try this. This will definitely yield a good result.
    NAAN:
    Ingredients:
    Plain flour-1 ¼ cups, soda bi carbonate- 2 pinches, sugar- ¼ tsp, curds- 1 ½ tbsp, melted ghee- 2 tsp, milk- 2 tbp, enough lukewarm water, salt to taste,
    Procedure:
    Sieve the flour, soda bi carbonate and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour the ghee, curds, and sugar. Mix well with the fingers and then make soft dough using enough lukewarm water. Knead it till it becomes smooth. Cover it with a damp towel and then with a lid and place it in a warm place for 3 hours to rise. Knead the dough again. Make lime-sized balls. Roll each ball about to 5 inches in diameter. Brush one side of the naan slightly with water and put that side on a hot griddle to cook. Brush the upper side slightly with water. You can sprinkle calonji seeds on the top and press them with a flat spoon. When the underside is cooked, lift the naan with a tong and place it on direct heat slightly away from flame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nirosha sen!

Here is the recipe for kozhukkattai with the sweet filling of chenna dal pooranam.
    KOZUKKATTAI:
    Place the prepared rice flour in a bowl.
    Add a little [1 to 2 sp] oil and salt. Mix well. Add boiled water little by little to make soft dough. The dough must be flexible and soft. Take a small portion, roll into a small ball with the greased hands and flatten it thinly like a small chappathi with the help of the fingers.
    Place any kinds of pooranam[ filling ] in it and close it firmly again with the fingers.
    Prepare enough kozukkattais like this and steam them in greased idli moulds for 10 to 15 minutes.
    KADALAIPARUPPU POORANAM:
    Soak 1cup of bengal gram for 1 hour and drain it in a colander.
    Then cook the Bengal gram and mash it finely.
    Place 11/2 cups of mashed jaggery in a kadai and add a little water.
    Make kambi paagu [syrup of single thread consistency] off it.
    Add the mashed bengal gram and half coconut which is shredded finely.
    Add 1sp cardamom powder and cook on a medium fire until the pooranam is thickened.
    You can add green gram instead of bengal gram.