Page 12 of 158 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs.Mano's Tamilnadu Delicacies

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

reg. chappati

dear mrs mano,
    when i was going thro this forum, i saw people thanking you for suggestions on how to prepare dough for chappati (to get soft ones using curd>...) , i went thro the old responses but could not find your suggestion... pls mrs mano/anyone can help me to respost the suggestion. thanks in advance...
    thanks
    uma

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mrs Mano
    I Have a doubt in preparing cashew burfi . It takes a very long time for the stuff to solidify . I keep stirring it for a long time . To avoid this can i cook the stuff in microwave and later transfer to stove . will it turn out good . If s , will there be any taste in difference . Thank u very much
    Regards ..

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry typo error in my last sentence . will there be any difference in taste .

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Niche,

Here Mano's tip for soft chapathi...

For getting soft chappathis-for 2 cups of wheat flour, add 1 tbsp of fresh curd, and 2 tbsp of plain flour with ½ sp of baking powder and knead it with warm water[not hot water] to a smooth dough. You will definitely get soft chappathis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot Mrs.Mano & Dev. I received the recipes.....
    Will try them this weekend!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ghee

Dear Mrs. Mano, how are you doing?
    Could you tell me a simple way of making ghee?I want to try it for the first time but it seems a bit tricky when you don't know.
    Thank you!
    Ivete

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mrs.Mano,

Whenever you find time, pls post me the recipes for kadala urundai/pori urundai.

Very recently, made them applying two different methods. But, I am not happy!!

In the first method, it says to get 1 thread consistency, tried. But, it took a long time for me to make balls, somehow got the shape. After a couple of hrs., it was very dry. I saw in the shops how it use to be shiny and while eating, can taste the juice of the syrup. Mine was not like that at all!

In the second method, they mentioned to stir the syrup till I make a soft ball, again failed. Though, could be able to make balls, the last couple of urundais became dry. Rest of the urundais also was just like as I cited above. Why it is happening? Where I am going wrong?

Thanks a lot for reading patiently. Pls explain me with your way of doing. Bye..

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Gita!
    As the quantity of the ghee is more than the wheat flour, it seems to be floating in the ghee. You just boil the milk and allow it to cool slightly. As you fry the wheat flour in the ghee for sometime, it will be cooked fully there. This is an easy sweet and you can make it in a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Pr!
    I could not understand why yr chappathi turns thick when you actually roll it into a thin round. For me, I am getting always thin chappathis.
    Regarding microwave cooking of badham burfi- You can try yr idea with a little quantity. It seems to me a good idea. But do not forget to check every 2 minutes. If I happen to notice a good microwave recipe of Badham burfi, I will tell you about it.
    Here is the recipe for Paruppu Usili:

PARUPPU USILI:

Ingredients:
    Cluster beans- 250 gms, Bengal gram- a handful, lentils[thuar dal]- a handful, red chillies- 3, green chillies-1, asafetida powder- 1 sp, turmeric powder- 1 tsp, finely shredded coconut- ½ cup, mustard seeds- 1tsp, black gram- 1 tsp, curry leaves- 1 spring, coriander leaves- 1tbsp, oil-4 tbsp, salt to taste
    Procedure:
    Soak the dals in water for an hour, then drain the water and grind them with the chillies, salt and the asafetida powder coarsely. Cut the cluster beans into very fine pieces and cook them with enough salt, and turmeric powder in a little water. The cooked vegetable should be dry. Heat a kadai and pour 4 tbsp of oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds. When they splutter add the black gram and curry leaves. Immediately add the ground paste and fry it on slow fire until it is cooked and turns like soft breadcrumbs. Now add the cooked vegetables with the coriander leaves. Cook for some minutes until every thing is combined. Lastly add the shredded coconut and fry for a minute. Put off the fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dev!
    Normally the measurement of a cup varies with different ingredients. My cup measures 200gms of sugar like a standard cup measures. Most probably the dals would weigh the same. As the milk powder and even bread crumbs are light, a cup holds 1oo gms or less than it.
    About the cake-I thought you had already known about the basic rules of a micro wave oven. When the cake is overcooked, it will turn hard and dry. In the conventional [gas] oven, we should not open often when the cake is being baked. But in the microwave oven, you can check in between and it will not affect the rising. It will bake according to the size and the type of bowl. Heavier mixtures should be cooked in ring form. A small cake will be baked quickly than a large cake. If there is a moist after having cooked for the appropriate time, it doesn’t mean that the cake is not cooked. It will dry when cooling. Duty plastic pan will give very good results.
    For you I am posting here a microwave-coffee cake recipe. I hope you will try it and reply with the feedback.

COFFEE CAKE [MICROWAVE]:

Ingredients: Soft margarine-50gms, brown sugar- 50 gms, self raising flour- 75 gms, 1 large egg, 2 tsp of instant coffee dissolved in 2 tsp of milk.
    Procedure:
    Place the margarine, b.sugar, flour, egg and the coffee milk in a bowl. Stir only enough to make a soft smooth mixture. Spread evenly in a greased cake pan and cook on full [100%] for 4 minutes. When cooled, you can top with whipped cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar.