Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids with food allergies,eczyma

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Kids with food allergies,eczyma

Topic started by rr (@ ncache1.ford.com) on Fri Apr 30 15:32:45 EDT 2004.

Hi everyone,
    I am a new member to this forum. I have a two year old daughter and she has severe food allergy and a bad eczyma. she is mostly allergic to wheat products ,but stopping that does'nt do a big magic. she still is suffering from hre allergies. any parents sailing on the same boat? Please share in this forum about the kind of food you give for allergy kids etc. I am just worried that by eating rice products all the time, (she is allergic to all lentil varieties also), she does not seem to get a balanced meal.
    plus any wheat free food item suggestions for lunch boxes? she is sick of eating rice noodles, idlis,rice pasta,poha etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

KH (@ ip68*) on: Mon May 3 12:31:05 EDT 2004

Hi rr,

I saw this msg from another thread "Benefits of Honey and cinnamon", thought it may be of some help for you.

Skin Infections
    Eczema, ringworm and all types of skin infections are cured by applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts.

Did you consult any Doctor? What do they say?

You can give her lots of vegetables, greens, fruits(if you are that any of these are not allergic to her) to balance her meal.

I have heard some kids are allergic to diary products and some to egg. You can try stopping the diary products for 3 to 4 days and see if there's any change.

Here are two links which may be of help,

http://www.aixf98.hemscott.net/mainpages/Kids%20book.htm

http://www.foodallergyliving.com/cookbook/

If i come across any recipes i will post here.

Take care!

Post Thanks / Like

rr (@ ncec*) on: Mon May 3 14:49:02 EDT 2004

KH,
    Thanks for ur posting. she does eat a lot of fruits and veggies. luckily she likes them. we live in MI and I am seeing lot of kids with such problems in these cold dry weather places. we havent heard of such things in India and its very tough to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakshi (@ 213.*) on: Mon May 3 17:59:38 EDT 2004

Hello rr,

My husband's colleagues daughter is now 30 months old. Right from when she was 2 months, she developed terrible reddish patches all over her body and even at night, used to scratch her legs on the bedsheets. The parents tried everything possible right from pure cotton clothes and linen, to applying all the steroid creams the dermatologist prescribed for the eczema but absolutely no use. The baby still suffered. The mother then noticed that after every breastfeed, the rashes used to flare up and so suspecting an allergy, they consulted the paediatrician. After a lot of consultations & no clear diagnoses, the baby was put off breastmilk as the allergens were passing from the mother's food to the baby via the milk!! She was then tried several formulas, where there is no lactose (called hydrolysed formulas, I think) but even those didn't work out as the baby was allergic to MORE THAN ONE FOOD ITEM. Finally, they switched to one called NEOCATE, which is formula based on amino acids; since it is synthetic, no real allergens were present and the baby was cleared of the rashes.

You should realise that the child can react to more than one food allergen, it is not just wheat or just citrus fruits, it is the whole combination. The child was extremely sensitive to processed foods like cheese, butter etc. ; can't tolerate any proteins (dal,rajma, milk),no soya, no wheat, no nuts, strawberries, no citrus etc. Even some vaccinations were avoided because it had eggs in them (not sure which ones).Other than the formula, the child had only rice with veggies & fruits. For the fat which is essential for proper growth, they gave her 'oils' like sunflower oil, olive oil etc. mixed with rice. Even now the kid breaks out in rashes if given certain foods. When they had been to India (Coimbatore), the baby's rashes improved remarkably !! Yes, the doctors there have no clue about this kind of condition.

I have seen their suffering and yes, it is very very disheartening situation. But don't worry, with age, it will most certainly get better. The child has improved very much and is now on Goat's milk, and can tolerate some pulses too. She is healthy & active though slightly underweight.

Did your child have it from birth, like our friend's daughter? If you need any more specific details or helpful information, do let me know. I can ask her to get in touch with you directly, since she has experienced it personally.
    Cheer up, your kid will be fine soon.
    Bye.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadhana Pinnepalli (@ user*) on: Tue May 4 09:50:37 EDT 2004

Hi!

My daughter (now almost 2 yr old) has atopic eczema since birth. She itches a lot inspite of not allowing her skin to get dry (apply vaseline when she wakes up, after bath, after her noon nap and before bed). What aggrevates her eczema , cannot really make out. Allergic to food, I don't think so bcoz her diet is very fixed accept for certain changes. But those red patches they come up evry other day. I use an ointment that was prescribed by a doctor in India. There is nopoint in mentioning its name. Believe me this ointment works miracle , I mean u apply today night and those red patches do disappear by tomorrow morning. But her eczema doesn't seem to be under control. U don't apply ointment the red patches r sure to worsen. I am more conecrned about her itching. Its unbearable. I can't see her doing that. Any information to control her itching and hence eczema is most welcome. I am ready to try new things. Honey and cinnamon combo didn't seem to work. Well rr, coming to ur question. U can try peanut butter, oatmeal cereal, raagi porridge/roti, dates+raisins, variety of juices, vegetable soup.

Bye.

Post Thanks / Like

rr (@ ncac*) on: Tue May 4 15:03:17 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the inputs kamakshi. We have done whatever ur friend has done except for the formula. when did the child start taking NEOCATE?
    her doctors are already exploring on putting her in a special diet for two weeks to see how she is going to do. they told its called energin diet or something. seems it would taste really bad . I am not sure how my daugher is going to get through that.

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakshi (@ 195.*) on: Tue May 4 17:20:33 EDT 2004

Hello rr,
    My friend tried ALL available options like Gerber Hypoallergenic, Pregestemil, Nursoy (soya formula), and only then as a last resort, took up Neocate because of its extremely bad taste!Another child (consulted with the same paediatrician as my friend) responded well to Pregestemil itself ! You may also try the others, after consulting your doctors , of course. The child was exclusively on Neocate right from 5 months of age itself. I think it is called NEOCATE ADVANCE, for kids over a year old. Yes, my friend had mentioned many time that the formula tastes unbearable, very bitter; even we can't sip it, how my child is tolerating the taste, she used to say often. Older children do not take it so easily, as they have already developed dislikes in taste. So, some flavours are available in Neocate Advance.
    But it is not available in any pharmacy here and so they had to import from Oman & some colleagues who were periodically travelling to UK. But since you are living in US itself, obtaining itwouldn't be a problem.
    Even a female doctor in my friend's hospital, has children who both suffer from this condition! It is said to be hereditary, if one or both parents have some allergies, then even the baby has more likely chances of being allergic. In my friends case, both she & her husband have allergies and so the poor kid also was affected. But unless the parents accept that the food intake is a major cause of the eczema/dermatitis, no proper improvement can be done. Also, next month, they are scheduled for a blood/skin patch test, to determine the exact foods which cause these rashes. Maybe, you can opt for that too, since your kid is nearly the same age. Do consult your doctor however.
    GOOD LUCK.

Post Thanks / Like

Jen (@ pool*) on: Wed May 12 14:13:03 EDT 2004

Is this a Neocate site? Sounds like It's the magic formula. Are just promoting it (because you work for them) or does it really work. I have a suffering 9 week old, and I have tried everything. Except Neocate. I have been told my other moms in the same situation that Neocate makes it worse because of the corn. What do you suggest other than Neocate? I've tried the hydrolysates.

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakshi (@ 195.*) on: Wed May 12 15:54:08 EDT 2004

Hi Jen,
    In no way I'm working or promoting for anybody; I've just seen my friend suffering and am only sharing her experiences. If you've tried the other hydrolysed formulas and rashes are still not getting cured, then Neocate is the obvious solution.
    But I can't understand how 'corn' makes things worse, because Neocate is a completely synthetic amino-acid based formula, which has the complete nutritional needs of the infant. As it is totally artificial, no natural irritants/allergens are present!!
    The company which manufactures this formula is called SHS International & is based in Liverpool, UK.

You can get more info. from their homepage,

>

Hope your kid gets better soon. Bye.

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakshi (@ 195.*) on: Wed May 12 15:56:07 EDT 2004

Oops, sorry Jen, typing mistake.
    Here's the URL,
    >

Take care.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast