Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do women go to Cinema halls,Restaurants alone?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Do women go to Cinema halls,Restaurants alone?

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2005/08/18/s...1801340100.htm

I came across this interesting article in 'The Hindu'today which talks about the hesitation women have in going to watch a cinema alone.In fact till now I have never given a thought about this but after reading the article I can't help but wonder about it.

Do we see educated,decent,working women going to a theatre alone?

Men have no problems doing it,Personally I have seen a lot of movies alone(esp Kamal ones,I like it that way),why not women?

Infact,the same question can be asked about going out to restaurants too?

Is it the fear of being branded as a characterless person?

All the women hubbers out there,have you gone to cinema halls,restaurants alone.If Yes,tell your experiences.If No,what prevented you from going?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    peNmai kuNanalankaLai precious aaka ninaiththaal, paathukaakka ninaiththaal, tholaiththuvidaamal irukka ninaiththaal aapaththiRku aaraththi eduppathu uNdO?
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber scorpio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cinefan,

Interesting topic..

Oops..now that I think about it, I haven't gone to a movie or to a restaurant alone till now..Worse, I don't even go to the cafeteria (within my office premises) alone. If I have no company, I always prefer to skip coffee or even lunch at times..

Why? I really need time to think..Probably, we are not used to that way..

Why dont u ask the male hubbers, yourself included, if you'll be comfortable to send yr wife /sister to a movie or a restaurant alone? That will give is another interesting perspective I guess
    Your attitude determines your altitude!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio
    Why dont u ask the male hubbers, yourself included, if you'll be comfortable to send yr wife /sister to a movie or a restaurant alone? That will give is another interesting perspective I guess
    Hmmm,Interesting point.

Will I mind it if my wife says "I want to go to a movie alone"-NO.

Will I be worried about her safety-No ,as long as she is going to a good theatre-morn,afternoon or evening shows.

With restaurants-I don't think my wife will ever come&say that she wants to go &eat out alone .In fact even men don't prefer it unless they are out of office on work& have to grab something in a fast food joint.

In fact i have seen quite a lot of women,college girls frequenting 'Darshini's'(fast food joints)alone here, but never at a good hotel where you need to sit,order&wait.

I guess it's got something to do with the 'stares' they are subjected to at such places.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    [tscii]
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio acca
    good one, no I would not let them reason to watch TAMIL films, reason being, I have seen many Thugs , Rowdies, and Fools in Cinema, even in London , they smuggle whisky into the hall drink and misbehave so bloody cheaply with women, I watch Tamil films in Cinema(ONLY Rajnikanth film, cos I believe I get an excellent entertainment for my ££, sorry cine fan ), and of course of the Disney cartoon type movies,

When we queuing up to watch Chandramughi, had to wait out side Odeon Cinema for 1 hr!!,These thugs were misbehaving so dirtily, all dirty talking, teasing girls, some of the males were in their 50, bloody idiots ill talking about girls , so I said to my self, I had enough, and I confronted about 3 of them, so they backed off, now tell me how can you send a women alone to these places, even if a women is with a guy, they still behave like morons, so how can you send them alone?

kadavule, I don't know what this world is coming to!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not in India, and make that 200% impossible in singara Chennai or Delhi
    After Mumbai, Bangalore is better for women that way........

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A very interesting topic!

I haven't gone to the cinema alone and I don't think I will... I like to have company when I watch movies and that is the reason. I have never thought of going to the cinema alone at all so far!

But to restaurants yes! I used to live in a paying guest accomodation during college days... I had to take care of my own food and I had no access to kitchen! I couldn't expect someone to accompany me morning noon and night to the restaurant!

Even when I was working and in my first job I used to live in a working women's hostel who gave only two meals - breakfast or lunch and dinner! I am a person who can't think straight if I don't have food on time so would go to the restaurant alone for breakfast or lunch even then!

And till date, this habit continues... if I am hungry, I stop where I am and find a place where I can grab something to eat, whether in India or abroad.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good topic to discuss on..
    Well till now never have I got the thought of going alone to a cinema theatre ,have always gone with friends or someone along with me...and badly if I am so bored , I would rather get a dvd & watch it alone at home...
    with respect to going to eat out, ofcourse in this fast life..there are at times when you need to go alone & eat out alone..this can also be avoided at times..But I haven't really faced this situation in India..
    Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small personal expereince to share!

When myself(before my marriage) and my mom were alone, my mom had to be hospitalised.

That time i have to go to hotel alone, thrice and my feeling then was.

1. Hotels are not safe for lonely women.

2. Hotels are run my males only. Thats why the risk for safety for women.

3.If the hotels are managed by women, there won't be such feelings.

Theaters are run by males only. They only can run the show!!!

This place also owned by men.It is mostly their entertainment

place. Naturaly safety for women is nil.

That is the reason why ladies are not prefering lonely visit to these places.
    With Love,
    Usha Sankar.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This issue is not India-centric only. Women, by nature do not go to public places unaccompanied. Why no one thinks about this is because it is just never done!

Personally, I love solittude and have been to movies alone. Restaurants? All the time.
    I even have sought refuge in the rest room at home to keep the brats from barging into everywhere, including the bedroom.

Women dont dine alone. Under forced circumstances, they'd rather pack their food and eat in the comfort of their homes or workstations. Scorpio is a good example of that.

There was once when I saw a lady alone in KFC, who had ordered and was enjoying a bucket of fried chicken. God! How much I admired her. :P
    However, these cases are an exception rather than the rule.

And it has nothing to do with preserving modesty or preventing personal injury. Women do not dine or visit public performances alone.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast