Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An idea for a new album by IR

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ananth222,
    Yes, you have a point. More reasons I suggest Ilayaraaja should do with artists like Aruna Sairam. She is very sophisticated. She will be open to new music forms, same time she will perform with out diluting her standards with pride and devotion, at the end we will be rewarded with a phenomenal music entertains us emotionally & spiritually! Awesome indeed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please you music fans out there, don't waste your time answering to alias.....

From what I have observed even in other threads, he is simply a dumb a** that can't be categorised easily. One thing is for sure, he is a disgrace to all ARR fans. He has a very low IQ i think, he makes various nonsensical statements and argues like a lawyer who thinks that he has gone to law school, when in fact he failed his entrance interview!

So alias, please take your sh*t somewhere else and kindly like a cat, cover it up with some sand.....

Post Thanks / Like
    It should have been sada saranga... ranjani, not sriranjani!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ananth, dont get sidetracked into meaningless arguments with alias.

Ananth, I am not sure how IR composes semi-classicals. When I listen to his semi-classicals from Ponmegalai I can't imagine him singing the entire song to SudhaR. I wonder whether he writes down the basic notations and does give the singer freedom to improvise just a little considering her stature. For regular light songs probably he has completely control. Those days, MDs like KVM or GR who were good classical singers themselves used to sing the entire tune themselves. Not sure how IR does it. Anyways, I believe with someone like Aruna Sairam, IR should allow some improvisations if the singer wishes so, record the vocals and then harmonize it. No point in cutting out the improvisations as they are the heart and soul of ICM(much like Jazz).
    To write harmonies for those extra gamakas/sangathis the singer adds is in itself a challenge.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ananth222's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I guess a viable option would be let the singer improvise freely in parts, and use Irs genius to mix the WCM harmonizations. Incidentally, this would shift the emphasis of the production from an "IR work" to something like "IR with Aruna Sairam" or something like that. As much as I worship IR, I am really not sure how open he would be to an idea like that, where he is not the only main player himself.

another option is that IR lets the singer improvise completely freely, but makes several recordings of each song. He can then pick out the best parts, edit it, mix it and put it back together and then mix the WCM.

That said, it opens great possibilities. Maybe an RTP where the singer completely improvises the alapana in solo, and the symphony kicks in for the thaanam part, and grows full blown by the end - that would really be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    vijayR and ananth, very interesting keep going with your thoughts!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njv
    nilavupriyan

There should be atleast some truth while bashing MD like ARR. Tell me ONE ARR song that even resemble IR song. It really hurt ARR fan's feelings.

alias

All other MD's are studying what western worlding is going towards in music industry and trying to simulate the same in Indian soil and giving the music, which obviously is liked by our current generation ppl. On the other hand, IR just gives what flows in his mind and heart. Thats the reason why I see the un-interrupted flow in IR song that is hard to find in any other MD.

As far as IR remix is concerned, IR wont have to do it. It will be done by the upcoming MDs and the new generation of RAP/HIP/HOP music ppl.
    njv ..........i didnt mean it seriously......i just replied the stupid comment of alias for fun.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alias
    Quote Originally Posted by nilavupriyan
    Quote Originally Posted by alias
    I think the best for IR would be do remixes of his old songs. Else nothing new will suit him.
    thats what arr is doing now.............remixing ir songs.....so ir doesnt have to do it
    That clearly shows ur knowledge about music No Comments.

njv, what is the harm in remixing his old classics. I dont see any. Why do u take in wrong way? Instead of others spoiling his music like YSR adutha varisu and Das song, he can do it with modern rhthym. Something interesting. Whether the younger generation will do justice to his songs is a really question mark.
    dude ....,i just replied ur stupid comment for fun........

"nothing new will suit him".....what do u mean by this new?
    the trend in music or the the usage of instruments?"

if its about trend..........then ir cant do anything with it.even arr will have to suffer when he turns old.its common for all legends.

if it is the usage of musical instruments....ir is of world class....hear thiruvasagam in symphony and heyy raam bgm.

imho..,hey raam had the best bgm so far.

ir remixing???...do u say he cant compose fresh songs?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vijay!
    I guess you are being too harsh on IR for not composing semi classical or carnatic classical for other singers. In Guru ramana geetham there are two krithis one sung by unni and another sung by Bombay Jayshree. I was watching "Bharathi" in the middle of the night on 14th Aug (well into 15th Morning) on National (I was happy that they showed it in DD national). All the songs fit into the category you mentioned and I enjoyed them thoroughly, particularly "Ninnai charan adaindhaen" be BJ. IR's version makes a minute 1 min appearance in the movie. I guess for classical carnatic pieces, IR sings and records them as a track, which he chooses to use in an appropriate situation as BGM in the movie. His version is (again I guess) used by the singers to rehearse, train and then record. As far as neravals and bruhas in IR's keerthanais by other singers, it would be a great idea for the medium of movie restricts the time available for a singer to contribute to the song and hence the MDs tend to be a bit more strict. I was watching Aboorva Raagangal and the "Kaelviyin naayaganae" song is a classical example of how to use a singer for a movie situation. Every aalapanai in the song was cleverly used by Balachander and MSV to show a character's position in the scene.

If you let some one like Hariharan or Shankar Mahadevan to go into Alaap mode then you can forget your composition!!! They will come out with something of their own(might be good!) and you can keep guessing what happened to your song. Again this is an inference after watching hariharan's Isayodu pirandhaen program on Vijay, where Hariharan went on to sculpt his own "Pachai niramae"!!!Sometimes what he does borders abaswaram and become unbearable. So your advice to come out with a "Krithi + singer neraval" is fraught with risque. Idea is better if singer cuts down on neraval in the CD recording and adds it in a concert meant for promotion, which again can be released as a separate CD!! (double marketing)!!!
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I guess you are being too harsh on IR for not composing semi classical or carnatic classical for other singers"

Jaiganes,IR rarely sings semi-classicals himself. Whenever he composes serious semi-classicals its mostly for other singers.
    So no, I didnt mean that.
    I was commenting on some of his non-filmi albums where he has sung like TIS, Guru Ramana geetham etc.The songs that he has chosen to sing arent semi-classicals, they are much simpler. The slightly tougher songs he has given to BombayJaya/UnniK.

I believe that if he composes a serious carnatic album that demands authentic classical singing, he wouldnt sing it himself.TIS and his other devotional albums dont fall into that category.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast