Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An idea for a new album by IR

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ananth222's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

An idea for a new album by IR

For quite some time now, I have been completely mesmerised by "Study for violin" by IR from "How to name it". It just doesn't seem to wear off!
    The song itself is based on the Thiagaraaja krithi called "Thulasi dala" set in maayamaalava gowla. I managed to hear some other "pure carnatic" versions, and the krithi itself is just amazing. but to me, none of the renditions were as captivating as "study for violin".
    Now my idea (or request, or hope) is that IR should take up other krithis and fuse them with a western classical backing. The thought of hearing "duddugugala" or "baagaayanayya" or even "manavyalakim" like that is undescribable.
    In an interview to BBC, when asked about "study for violin", IR just said "atha panradhu kashtam illa. idhamaadhiri neraya irukkuthu. Adhukku veliyilerundhu sponsors kedaikaadhathunaala, panna aatkal irunthaalum athai panna mudiyuvathilla. " and brushing off the technical expertise saying "adhu onnum periya vishayam illa". so it should not be very difficult for him, if he has sponsors.
    does anyone else like this idea or would appreciate an album like that?
    there may be some criticism form "carnatic purists", but hey, we cannot worry about people who have nothing better to do than to oppose everything that comes in the market!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ananth, I have thought on those lines long time back. I thought that one of the ultimate experiments in classicval crossover would be composing a full-fledged krithi(where IR can leave the rendition to a better singer)with neraval, RTP, thani avardhanam and other usual features and then using a symphonic backing during the whole song that enhances the rendition. I am not sure how it sound or will be received, but it would be worth exploring for someone like IR.So far his vocal portions have'nt been quite demanding, with emphasis being on mostly orchestration. So this would be the next ideal step for him, IMO. I dont think the so-called carnatic purists would mind as long as he doesnt render them.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vijayr
    ananth, I have thought on those lines long time back. I thought that one of the ultimate experiments in classicval crossover would be composing a full-fledged krithi(where IR can leave the rendition to a better singer)with neraval, RTP, thani avardhanam and other usual features and then using a symphonic backing during the whole song that enhances the rendition. I am not sure how it sound or will be received, but it would be worth exploring for someone like IR.So far his vocal portions have'nt been quite demanding, with emphasis being on mostly orchestration. So this would be the next ideal step for him, IMO. I dont think the so-called carnatic purists would mind as long as he doesnt render them.
    Vijayr,
    Probably he has done in his films already,one way or other. Classical music with WCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbydoss1969
    Vijayr,
    Probably he has done in his films already,one way or other. Classical music with WCM.
    yes IR has mixed carnatic and WCM in films. But what we are talking about here is taking complete krithis and fusing it with WCM.
    I agree with vijay that IR should't sing himself. I was actually thinking abt just instrumental, say violin or veena. But a singer with a powerful voice would also make it great. BMK in his prime would have been perfect.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber MumbaiRamki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was already attempted by Narasimhan in his album Resonance

Post Thanks / Like
    For examples, the semi-classicals from Ivan and Ponmeghalai had the usual minimal accompaniment. Something like that could be taken up and set to a full-fledged orchestral backing.

Mumbai Ramki, am aware of Resonance but would prefer strong vocals -as it is the main essence of Carnatic music. There are certain things human voices could do which mere instruments cant.We have plenty of vocal talent. IR has to pick a strong voice, do a 45-min Krithi(alapana, thanam, neraval etc. -the complete package) and then harmonize it. Now that would be a true classical crossover attempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Resonance was actually a terrific effort that didnt quite get the recognition it deserves. In TN you have to be either a MD or hang around in the popular music arena in order for your serious works to get noticed. Sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not heard resonance
    Isn't Narasimhan the same person who played the violin for HTNI and NBW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ananth, yes he is. I found this link after a search. if you are interested
    http://www.themusicmagazine.com/resonance.html

While reading that column I was reminded of another noteworthy effort that probably went unnoticed in India. In fact I had posted about in TFMDF aboyt 2-3 years back. Its a concept calle "Melharmony" pioneered by Ravikiran, where in only the notes used in the scale is used in the chords and harmony, from what I understood. NowI havent listened to this, but it sounds like a worthy effort
    http://www.themusicmagazine.com/ravikiranbbc.html
    http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/t...07/26/&prd=th&

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vijayr says, "There are certain things human voices could do which mere instruments cant.We have plenty of vocal talent. IR has to pick a strong voice, do a 45-min Krithi(alapana, thanam, neraval etc. -the complete package) and then harmonize it. Now that would be a true classical crossover attempt"

I suggest Ilayaraaja to pick Aruna sairam for this effort. but of course Aruna Sairam's voice so divinely we don't need harmonizing etc.. I like to see my favorite carnatic musician sings in Raaja's music, yeppadi yerukkum?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast