Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: REDUCE CHOLESTROL

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Mary (@ 219.*) on: Thu Oct 30 03:48:02 EST 2003

Hi Asif,

Your father's cholesterol level is not alarmingly high though it is above the threshold level of 200. In order to reduce the level of cholesterol he could be put on one of the statins such Zocor or Mevacor or the doc might put him on other cholesterol lowering agents such as cholestyramine. All these drugs have side effects, for example statins can cause muscle and liver damage and so screening for these effects might be advisable after taking them for several months.

In addition your father should adopt a heart healthy diet which usually means a diet low in staturated fat, low in cholesterol and high in fiber, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. He should limit intake of red meat and avoid organ meats such as liver, brain and kidney. He should also avoid high cholesterol items such as prawns and crabs. When he takes chicken the skin should be removed and the fat trimmed. Generally, all kinds of fish is good.

Mary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ mail*) on: Tue Nov 4 10:45:34 EST 2003

Dear SS
    Sorry for responding late.
    They are different varities. Both are good. But i would say the red rice totally unpolished is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

usha (@ adsl*) on: Thu Nov 6 20:00:06 EST 2003

Guys follow the atkins diet.

Post Thanks / Like

Megalavairamani (@ 213.*) on: Sat Nov 8 15:15:20 EST 2003

Dear Pradeep,
    I HAVE SEVERE OBESITY COMPLAINT AFTER SCISSARIAN.
    Now my daughter is of 4years old.Since i am in emirate i cannot walk continuously because of weather.
    Please give some tips to follow.After reading your info i bought white oots for my break fast.
    is it o.k?
    please guide me

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ frfd*) on: Sun Nov 9 02:14:18 EST 2003

Dear Megalavairamani
    I have helped a few people to lose weight in a healthy way through dialy water therpay, once a week juice therapy an donce a month castor oil cleansing. And of course eating whole foods and avoiding low fats diets (YES LOW FAT DIETS) and walking or doing yoga.

High protein fat diets helps to reduce weight but you have to remember the high protein diets are toxic to the system and shoots up blood electrolytes.

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ frfd*) on: Sun Nov 9 02:14:36 EST 2003

Dear Megalavairamani
    I have helped a few people to lose weight in a healthy way through dialy water therpay, once a week juice therapy an donce a month castor oil cleansing. And of course eating whole foods and avoiding low fats diets (YES LOW FAT DIETS) and walking or doing yoga.

if interested visit www.sakthifoundation.org

High protein fat diets helps to reduce weight but you have to remember the high protein diets are toxic to the system and shoots up blood electrolytes.

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs.Mano (@ 195.*) on: Sun Nov 9 13:18:30 EST 2003

Dear Megalavairamani!
    About reducing cholesterol- In the morning, eat only a pair of whole meal bread slices with low fat mayonise and cucumber-tomato slices. For the lunch, avoid the rice meals for atleast 4 days in a week. Instead eat any wheat diet like wheat uppuma, chappathi[2 pieces with vegetable curry], wheat dosa etc. In the night you can eat three dosa or idlies. In between you can eat some fruit slices especially apples and oranges. By this way you could reduce yr weight much. Avoid sweets, bananas and mutton. Once in a week, you can eat a nice lunch with rice, chicken, and anything you want. But in the night you should take a low calorie food such as bread with salad to compensate the calories you have consumed. My cardiologist approved this diet and it is keeping my cholesterol in the correct levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Megalavairamani (@ 195.*) on: Sun Nov 9 17:21:23 EST 2003

Thank you mr.Pradeep&mrs.Mano
    Thanks a lot for your quick responses.Sure i will visit your website mr.Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Nishada (@ h-68*) on: Sun Nov 9 23:44:50 EST 2003

Interesting thread! My cholestrol is on the high side despite being a lifelong vegetarian and avoiding fatty foods. Now, I have been taking Lipitor to control it. The facts about cholestrol are pretty complex and I would recommend people (especially Indians who have a higher risk of CHD) to read up on the latest advances in this ares. The latest edition of Robert Kowalski's book "The New 8-Week Cholesterol Cure : The Ultimate Program for Preventing Heart Disease" does a good job of educating people of this deadly disease. Also, read up on Syndrome-X.

Unfortunately, medical science does not understand all the issues yet. There are tons of studies which prove and disprove many theories. It is best not to rely too much on the theories involving Garlic, Alcohol, zero-fat, high protein etc... What is really important is balanced diet and daily exercise. These do make a perceptable difference and improve the quality of life.

Hope this helps other people who are worried about high cholestrol and CHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Jennifer D'Souza (@ ac0.*) on: Tue Nov 18 12:17:33 EST 2003

Can you please suggest can food be cooked in olive oil, minimum amount? Is it good for lowering cholestrol.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast