Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: REDUCE CHOLESTROL

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

REDUCE CHOLESTROL

Topic started by radha (@ cs17023-145.jam.rr.com) on Tue May 20 13:12:12 .

To reduce bad cholestrol and increase good cholestrol...can anybody give recipes for this?Daily food for those who are having cholestrol in blood?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Revathy (@ 195.*) on: Wed May 21 16:56:12 EDT 2003

Hi radha,
    Oats is extremely beneficial in lowering bad cholesterol levels in the blood. You can make a simple porridge by adding a cup of oats to 2 cups of boiling water (or skimmed milk). Bring the mixture to boil again & cook for further 2 mins. Keep stirring all the while as oats has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the vessel. When it cools down a bit you can add a spoon of honey (which is also good for cholesterol) or even some fruits & enjoy it. Or you can make it more liquid (like kanji) & have it mixed with a bit of rasam or buttermilk. You can also add a few Tbsp. of oats to almost any soup that you make; it thickens the soup without adding any other refined flour & is healthier too!! Oats when consumed regularly is incredibly beneficial.

Apart from oats, garlic is also said to be very good in significantly reducing the cholesterol level in the blood. You can refer to the thread 'Garlic' by Lavanya for more info.

Olive oil is said to be very good to increase the good cholesterol level in the blood but it too has to be used minimally 'cos it is very dense in calories. You can use it for salads, chapathis, dosa or even for the curries & poriyals you normally cook as for these dishes the oil use is a few Tbsps. only; but it is not suitable for deep frying.

Hope this info. is helpful to you.

Post Thanks / Like

AJ (@ cach*) on: Wed May 21 17:00:24 EDT 2003

Can Olive oil be used for Daily cooking?

Post Thanks / Like

some (@ dial*) on: Wed May 21 17:25:40 EDT 2003

hi AJ

olive oil can be used for daily cooking.It's very good for our health.

Post Thanks / Like

radha (@ cs17*) on: Wed May 28 15:41:15 EDT 2003

Hi Revathy,
    Thank u so much for ur response and the info u gave.Sorry for my belated reply.If u know any recipes of our daily food(Indian)regarding cholesterol free, let me know
    thanks
    radha

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ 207.*) on: Wed May 28 17:38:59 EDT 2003

Probably I am repeating what I have written else where. Just by avoiding Cholesterol in diet one cannot completely reduce cholesterol levels in blood. It might help to a certain extent.

When mice were fed with fiber free diet, zero fat, the cholesterol levels where high. Puzzled?. The reason is that even if you dont take cholesterol in your diet, your body will make cholesterol from carbohydrates. The body will make glucose from starch and this glucose will inturn be used to make fat and from fat it makes cholesterol.

So to superfically reduce cholesterol eat fat free diet or low fat and zero cholesterol. But if you want to handle the root cause, increase fiber in your food. Completely avoid margarine , eat more vegetables and fruits. Switch to brown rice and whole wheat instead of white stuff. Beet roots is a must. Other grains are oats, buckwheat and ragi.

Ofcourse walking everyday for an hour adds up.

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ 207.*) on: Wed May 28 17:41:49 EDT 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Radha (@ cs17*) on: Fri May 30 15:13:28 EDT 2003

Hi Pradheep,
    Thanks for ur explanation regarding the cholesterol in food.It's really very informative.I think ,you are the one who gave the details about the flax seed oil and curry pattha.Could u pls tell me where we can get flax seed oil?BTW are u doing any Research in this topic?
    Thanks
    Radha

Post Thanks / Like

pradheep (@ 207.*) on: Fri May 30 17:20:26 EDT 2003

Dear Radha
    Flax seed oil is avialble in health food stores of regular stores too. I get spectrum company oil. I am a scientist (biochemistry cancer biology background) currently in food research, but I am more interested in traditional food practices. if interested visit www.sathifoundation.org

Post Thanks / Like

Radha (@ cs17*) on: Sat May 31 18:16:43 EDT 2003

Hi Pradheep
    Thanks for the prompt response.I am not able to reach the URL what u gave.Its nice to have a scientist like u in this hub.I have gone thru ur responses which u shared in this forum hub.
    Thanx
    Radha

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast