Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curry leaves

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber Sunflower77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

curry leaves

Hi,

I bought a bag of curry leaves yesterday. I have kept it in the freezer in a ziploc bag. What can I do to preserve it longer?

Thanks
    Sunflower

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the leaves areripe,U can take it off from the stick/nerve & put it in a plastic box & store it in the fridge...This will last for 3-4 weeks depending on the quality of the leaves...Else,U can dry it (sun dry or dry it in the shade) & use it when req...This will last fr months...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I like drying the curry leaves rather than freezing.

If you cook a lot, one bag of leaves will finish in 3 to 4 weeks. So just keep them in the refrigerator. If there is a lot of moisture in it, keep a piece of paper towel with it.
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Just cover the inner portion of the airtight container with aluminium foil and place the curry leaves in it, it will remain fresh for a long time. U can do the same for coriander leaves and mint too.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep,cori can be preserved for 2-3 weeks if kept in an airtight container without taking off the roots...Place it in the fridge... But I've never tried aluminum foil layering...will try it out...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

curry leaves

I have been having curry leaves that I brought from India frozen for almost a year in a thick polythene bag packed from India.

I would suggest you to freeze it. It has not gone bad.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the curry leaves r fresh, i have found they stay fresh in a fairly thick polethene bag(airtight)and they stay fresh longer only if they r kept so in the crisper(veggie compartment) of the refrigerater.

rain

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friends,
    If you want to dry the leaves , seperate from the stem and spread on news paper allow to dry in shade for 1-2 days they remain green and when cooked look as if they are fresh and the aroma is also preserved..or else just microwave the leaves for 15 -30 seconds ...you will be surprised how quick they get dry and still maintain aroma and colour....Chau..it's worth preserving unlike India here they are precious comodity..$1-$2 for few stems...

Post Thanks / Like
    ..very true,ash...In India curry leaves & coriander leaves used to come free with vegs we buys...So never ever thought of preserving it... It's only now we come to know how precious they r...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I know u guys are talking about curry leaves here... but how about...mint and coirander.. i leave th em in fridge but after a week they rot... is there a better way...well one person pointed about... al foil, i will try that shod i put in fridge or not.. let me know...
    kritica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast