Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Tulsi plant

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Dharmaksetra das (@ mtvn*) on: Wed Sep 10 17:14:22 EDT 2003

Tulsi can also thrive inside in winter months if kept in warm place free from drafts. Put in front of window on south side of house (if available) and allow for sun as much as possible. This can be done, but it is true that warmer summer months make it easier. Tulsi is a sacred plant and should be worshipped. The scriptures point out that one who cultivates Tulsi with love and devotion will receive great spiritual benefits. This is more than true. There should not be any chemical fertilizers used on Tulsi. Use cow manure instead. Water to keep soil moist at all times, but be careful of too much...esp in winter when the moisture isn't drying out as well and can become to damp, clamy, and allow mold to grow. This would be bad to Tulsi. Offer Tulsi water daily, even if just a little spoon. Arati, Tulsi pranams very good. Never pick tulsi leaves. If tulsi needs trimmed, or if leaves are desired for puja, you should clip with scissors. While making tea out of tulsi is something that is being done by some, this is NOT proper, or respectable to tulsi. Worshipping tulsi and offering her leaves in puja to Lord is what is proper. Tulsi's growth is many times proportional to your degree of love, and devotion to her. There are many Krishna temples throughout USA who maintain tulsi plants on the alter of the Lord Sri Krishna. I was at the beautiful Hare Krishna community of New Vrindavan in West Virginia a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the very nice tulsi cultivation there. If you find that tulsi it sick, perhaps more sun, more/less water, transplanting to larger pot, or even changing soil to create nicer and more richer mix of cow manure, and high quality potting soil will help. Hope this helps out. May Lord Sri Krishna bless you all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Dharmaksetra das (@ mtvn*) on: Wed Sep 10 17:31:39 EDT 2003

This edition to my previous message is to suggest use of plant lights to help out in winter, or low sun days. This is useful too. Plant lights are found at plant, garden stores and provide a wider range of UV light that plants prefer. Even flouresent lights are good for this. In the Skanda Purana it is said "Tulsi is auspicious in all respects. Simply by touching, simply by remembering, simply by praying to, simply by bowing before, simply by hearing about, or simply by sowing this tree, there is always auspiciousness." Tulsi is Lord Krishna's favorite plant. Smelling the leaves of tulsi leaves offered to the Lord is very purifying. There are nice references to tulsi in the book "The Nectar of Devotion". This is a rendering of the "Bhaktrasamrita Sindu" and provides a nice instruction in the science of bhakt, or "love of God". The book is printed by "Bhaktivedanta Book Trust", or BBT of Los Angelos Califonia and is translated by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. A website offering a connection to BBT is at www.geocities.com/radhakrishna108/prabhu.html

Post Thanks / Like

Dharma (@ mtvn*) on: Wed Sep 10 17:37:20 EDT 2003

Here is nice link about tulsi.
    http://gauranga.org/ram_tulsi.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Dharmaksetra (@ mtvn*) on: Wed Sep 10 17:54:12 EDT 2003

Another link that has many comments, and suggestions regarding Tulsi care. http://devotees.krishna.org/Articles/2003/01/001.html

Post Thanks / Like

uma gupta-mazour (@ user*) on: Sun Sep 14 17:31:21 EDT 2003

I want to buy Tulsi plant, where i should buy it in USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Devaki (@ tcsn*) on: Mon Sep 15 15:33:03 EDT 2003

Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

I too want to buy tulsi plants and wonder where to find them. I live in Tucson, AZ . Have you had any informational responses? Do you or anyone know an alternative name for the Tulsi plant?

Light and blessings,
    Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Post Thanks / Like

Devaki (@ tcsn*) on: Mon Sep 15 15:33:08 EDT 2003

Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

I too want to buy tulsi plants and wonder where to find them. I live in Tucson, AZ . Have you had any informational responses? Do you or anyone know an alternative name for the Tulsi plant?

Light and blessings,
    Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Post Thanks / Like

Devaki (@ tcsn*) on: Mon Sep 15 15:33:13 EDT 2003

Dear Uma gupta-mazour,

Light and blessings,
    Devaki DEVAKIH11@msn.com

Post Thanks / Like

gaitrie (@ 193-*) on: Sat Sep 27 00:51:14

tulsi plant is used at all hindu functions,,,,it is a must ..this was ablessings from lord shiva.

Post Thanks / Like

Tulsi - Q for Dharmaksetra Das (@ 212.*) on: Fri Oct 3 01:44

Shri Dharmaksetra Das, do you happen to know the life span of a tulsi plant? I have this once very bushy, five feet tall tulsi plant which now shows signs of ageing. What should I do when the remaining leaves wither away? Should I just dump the dried bush in the skip or preserve it, if so for what. I remember my neighbour back home home in India, over a period of time she stored these dried bushes in an outhouse room. They used it on her, on her last day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast