Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Appam

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

florence (@ myoo*) on: Tue Apr 16 10:48:47

I appreciate the recipe for pal appam. My mother grinds the soaked rice with water, mixes the dough with yeast and leaves it overnight. She adds the coconut milk just before she makes the pal appam. I have to try both ways. I live in Australia so fresh coconut milk is hard to come by. Which is better, tinned coconut cream or coconut powder?

Also can anyone give me a good recipe for rava thosai.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Dharshini Sinnathamby (@ ctb-*) on: Mon May 27 03:16:48

Aarti, I am originally from Sri Lanka and now live in South Africa. Nov's recipe for appam is what we use in Sri Lanka too. However due to not being able to get pachchai arisi (raw rice)here, I have adapted the recipe this way, which gives a fool proof appam.

1 cup rice flour, 1 1/2 cups plain wheat flour,400 -500 ml water,coconut milk or canned coconut cream or fresh milk, 2 tablespoons of sugar,1/4 teaspoon of
    yeast dissolved in a two tablespoons of lukewarm water.

Mix the rice flour and plain flour adding water little a time to prevent lumps from forming, add the yeast mixture and sugar. The batter should be thick. Leave in a warm place to ferment for about 8-12 hours. Add milk and salt to the fermented batter. The batter should have a consistency to coat the back of a spoon. Spoon in about two tablespoons into a thinly oiled moderately hot thatchi or wok about 6-8 inches in diameter and swirl ir around and keep it closed while cooking for about 5-7 minutes. When the edges are golden and lacy and centre dry and cooked ease it out with a spatula or a knife so that it holds its round shape. You will get the knack of it after about the 3rd or 4th appam. If the edge does not become lacy it will be because the batter is too thick. Add some milk and continue. Be very cautious when you are adding milk, as there is nothing you can do with a too dilute batter. In Sri Lanka you can buy nonstick appam pans which makes life so much easier. This appam have never failed to impress my guests.

Post Thanks / Like

priya annamalai (@ host*) on: Wed Jul 10 17:39:11

hi
    i want to know if anyone has a great rava dosai recipe....like the rava dosai in hotels in madras like saravana bhavan,really thin and with small holes.thank you
    priya

Post Thanks / Like

PRINCE (@ cach*) on: Sun Oct 6 10:06:10

I am a malayalee, single, working abroad...

I want a good malayalee female-- friend, ( Those who know the value of a good friend )...

Are you a good friend, regardless of mother, wife, student or sister...??

send me a reply pls
    bye prince

Post Thanks / Like

Anju (@ 12-2*) on: Sun Dec 1 20:31:09

I would like a recipe for palappam using rice flour, coconut milk some scrapes of coconut, sugar, & yeast. I had the recipe and I lost it. It was a simple recipe. It didnt need a kurkku made from cooked rice. It was a simple and delicious recipe and the shape came out perfect. I just dont know what the measurements are. If anyone knows it can you please email it to me . thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Tara (@ 61.1*) on: Fri Dec 6 08:17:45

HI pls advice how does one make idly's using the powdered idly rava ,. that is available in grocery stores??

Post Thanks / Like

Sunitha (@ 12-2*) on: Wed Apr 16 17:47:51 EDT 2003

Appar,

The name PAAL APPAM originates from kerala and the recipe given by NOV for PAAL APPAM is the authentic kerala PAAL APPAM recipe. It is also known as Vella Appam in certain parts of Kerala. We call it as APPAM and not AAPPAM. Aapam is in tamil and people in madras make aappam and that is different.

Post Thanks / Like

Prince (@ dial*) on: Mon Sep 15 03:10:22 EDT 2003

Hi!
    Are you looking for a friend?
    Well, my name is Lisa aged 33, married for the past 3 years, no kids.Professionally,a teacher.Living in Kotagiri,a place near Ooty in the state of Tamil Nadu.I assure you that I can be a good friend provided you keep in touch on the net regularly. Please tell me more about yourself.
    Lisa
    E-mail- lisa_nilgiri@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Prince (@ dial*) on: Mon Sep 15 03:11:40 EDT 2003

Hi!
    Are you looking for a friend?
    Well, my name is Lisa aged 33, married for the past 3 years, no kids.Professionally,a teacher.Living in Kotagiri,a place near Ooty in the state of Tamil Nadu.I assure you that I can be a good friend provided you keep in touch on the net regularly. Please tell me more about yourself.
    Lisa
    E-mail- lisa_nilgiri@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

eh (@ 212.*) on: Fri Oct 3 16:41:14 EDT 2003

is it a matrimonial colum?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast