Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in 1960s and 1970s

Senior Member Senior Hubber lordstanher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Some major features of those pics:
    1. Almost every male had a moustache
    I thot tat was mainly in the South.......it is even today!
    And yes, needless to say almost every male had thick pair of sideburns, of varying lengths- depending on the choice of the guy!

2. The only type of specs was the black rimmed thick specs - Ladies always had Oval specs
    Yep, my mom had those kind of specs- black oval framed- for years! Until like 15 yrs ago!

3. Ladies were mostly in sleeveless blouses.
    Hmm........well, my mom tells me tat was the trend mostly in the north......she said they were rather conservative abt those here in the South (except maybe for the higher class women).......funny thing is they still r conservative abt sleeveless blouses in the south even today altho they don't mind the low-cut/low-back ones tat r popular today among all classes.......!
    My mom also told me there were these "boat-cut" blouses in the '70s.....not exactly low-cut but cut like a boat at the top.......very popular esp. in early '70s movies......
    Btw, how come u missed out the large-ish gold earrings tat ladies used to wear in those days??
    Not to mention the large 'nest-like' buns they made from their hair (again mostly the high-class ladies) & also fancy Sarees w/ large, flower patterns (sumtimes even gaudy) on them!

5. The sad part is that even as late as late 70s and early 80s, they used to leave long hair on little boys and comb them into 2 plaits. I was a victim of that though I would be merrily grinning in the photo
    I had them too when I was 2-2.5 yrs old!
    So one day when my sis took me to her school (a girls' one), her classmates/friends admired her "sister" all day.......she was really exasperated convincing everyone at the end of the day tat I was her brother!

6. There used to be an aluminium box which was the most common school bag used by guys.
    And I thot girls as well.....? I rem. a few students still using these boxes even around 1987, in my early days of school (UKG/1st standard).......they were subsequently banned in our school a few years later.......prob. bcos they can be really noisy & thus cause disturbance.....?
    -I've changed my ID now!!-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stanher,
    For "Certain" things, you have very sharp observation powers which are beyond the scope of lesser mortals

Quote Originally Posted by stanherji
    Btw, how come u missed out the large-ish gold earrings tat ladies used to wear in those days??
    it is still prevailing in good old kerala.

they were subsequently banned in our school a few years later.......prob. bcos they can be really noisy & thus cause disturbance.....
    I remember my bro having one in my kindergarten days...we used to play in school keeping all our bags in the school temple and would come running to pick our bags and take the last bus which stops just for 2-3 minutes. The bus driver and conductor were both rude guys. Once we came running and top speed, got the bags and were sprinting to the bus, when my bro's box fell open and all the books spilled out..somehow the driver stopped and gave us a scolding for that

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Walrus,

Seems you are a pucca - AUTOGRAPH guy !!!.

Gnabagam Varudhey , Gnabagam Varudhey !!!!!!!!!

I am just going to observe what others are posting in this forum.

Great postings are already being seen here.

All the best guys

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stanher,
    For "Certain" things, you have very sharp observation powers which are beyond the scope of lesser mortals

it is still prevailing in good old kerala.
    Both you guys need an update on todays fashion...Large gold earings are back in fashion..check out the various ads out for the innumerable jewllery stores in TN.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The things I remember about the early 80s(was too lil to remember any of the 70s ) are 2 plaits,aluminium boxes,color TV-had a black and white for a long time and I can still remember the exitement of getting our first color tv.
    Mudal mudal-a theater-la partha thamiz padam (my dear kuttychatan).

Post Thanks / Like
    My School days , late 70s, I think Doorshan came to Chennai in 1975 Pongal time I think. We all saw Chepauk test where Vishy scored 97 not out.

We recollect , Vayalum Vaazvum programme which used to appear almost every day at 7 pm .
    The title music for Vayalum Vaazvum was composed by our IR only which he used it in Naanay naanaa yaro thana - Azagay unnai aaraadhikiren movie !!

Two big brands - EC tv and Vijay TV . There was also Dyanora TV. I wonder whether they exist now !!

For Oliyum Oliyum , there will be a mad rush .

Again in Munottam , we used to anxiously wait for the movie for the next movie but most of the times, the Host will disappoint us !!
    Finally we will come to know on Saturday morning through Dinathanthi and mostly it will be a DUBBA movie !!! dull and boring one.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Thiru's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi_sce
    No *elderly* hubbers around huh...

common NOV, Badri, Thiru..
    60s-70s ?? I didnt even know to count 60 or 70 till the 80's..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanjinika
    Mudal mudal-a theater-la partha thamiz padam (my dear kuttychatan).
    I remember this one. My parents didnt allow my siblings to go to the theater though it was a class trip with teachers.

One of my friends told me it was a Pei Padam and scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Balaji
    Two big brands - EC tv and Vijay TV . There was also Dyanora TV. I wonder whether they exist now !!
    Some brands I remember are Keltron, Uptron, Dyanora, Solidaire, Onida, ECTV, BPL, Crown, Konark, Tesla, Weston, Telerama, Nelco, Optonica, Sony Orson.

Dyanora is now Thomson. I think Solidaire is Sharpe. The Solidaire showrooms are major sources of getting cricket match updates while shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone remember the Cat 1000 ad??

Post Thanks / Like
    h3w, add Sears elcot to your list.. That TV was the best TV in my opinion.. We got it in 1982 or something like that it was working fine till 2004, without changing the picture tube once.. The only thing we had to change was the channel knob or we had to use a cutting-plier..

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast