Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in 1960s and 1970s

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    70s bring back school days nostalgia. That childhood was very very different from childhood of today.
    We had no TV. Even radios were luxury. Even we hardly listened to it simply because we were never allowed by our parents to touch it.
    But we had great after school evenings, playing games which todays children do not even know.
    I had no comics, no chocolcates, no icecreams, no coke and pepsi!!! An obese child was rarest of rarities unlike today.
    We were afraid of our parents terribly. I never stood before my father. Teachers used to cane us, but they always taught us great values. They had great passion for teaching and took enormous pride in being teachers. Unfortunately today, the teaching is also an other job, nothing more.
    I could go on and on ....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scoring 60% was huge thing at that time right? But now-a days 90% is not enough

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yea!! A first class ie., 60% was exceptional . Not even 5% of the students would be in that bracket. Infact I was a gold medalist in preuniversity course (= 12th std), and I had scored 72% !!! To day I wouldn't even get an admission to a decent degree college!!

Post Thanks / Like
    How do u rate Shekar..Quality of students has increased or Quality of Syllabus has decresed?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beckam,
    Rendum illai. Ippo syllabus insist panranga.As it is a write panninal marks podaranga.Marks la liberalaisation vandhu iruku.For name sake .
    Population adhigam agi iruku.Adhanal Govt kashta padaradhu.Samalika mudiyalai.
    Miga neenda early days patri en amma solli kettu irukaen.Appo ellam rice kae kashtam market lae.AFter our freedom i think.
    Appo job opportunity um miga miga kuraivu.
    Andha madhiri ippo Govt kashta padaradhu job opportunity lae. I think.
    With Love,
    Usha Sankar.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello friends,

During those days, getting into a college or a school was not that difficult compared to what we are undergoing today. The reason is - POPULATION .
    As Sekar pointed out , 60% was a big thing those days. I agree with Beckham as well - even 90 % is enough .

I also faced tough challenge when I completed my Plus 2 in P.S.High School in 1982 and was running around with all the colleges - Viveka / Jains / Loyola - ultimately settled down with Viveka - B.com

Thanks a lot - Walrus , for opening another interesting thread.

Keep it up mate !!

Soon I will share my yester years.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder about parents now-a days... I have seen some parents were very much happy by seeing their kids singing songs/serial ads/telling serial names.I wont say anything wrong in it.Fresh brains are wasted in these kind of ugly stuffs...My cousin's daughter was saying all the serial names with the correct time slot...i swear shez just 3 yrs old...Shez singing all songs ..right from randakka randakka (which is normal) to Unakana irrupeyen (quite abnormal for a 3 yr kid)...And one of my relative amazed that his son is always before computer...(His age is 2) ...i asked him...what he is doing..."Well he is playing games..right from morning till evening 7..." You know with lot of pride he says "His fav game is Blood Strain"...So today parents (Yesteryear kids) are not also good..infact they are very much careless

Post Thanks / Like
    Beckham,

Today's parents have fresh challenges - to make both ends meet, both hubby and wife have to work - obviously for better saving and living conditions but their main focus will be how to address their children's future.
    What you had highlighted about your relative may be one or two odd ones

Men of yesteryears had few problems. Thats why you would have seen in a family - minimum of 4 or 5 . Besides 2 or 3 might have left for heaven also !! for want of proper medication .
    With a small salary, they could manage their bottomline well.

Today' everything has changed- I mean the living style. What were considered as luxury has become a necessity now.
    I mean- AC , fridge , grinder , Car etc etc were big things those 60s and 70s but now have become a household items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm Balaji i don want to argue, its not a rare case but it happens all over tamil nadu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beckham]

yes yes, you are right. I am equating Mumbai life with TN.

Here in Mumbai ,the younger lot are playful , spend heavily on pocket money but realise their goals and are career oriented .

But I must admit, the guys here in Mumbai enjoy their life in toto.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast