Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: cricket of yesteryear

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please read my earlier posting... one correction...

Ivan .... never wimbledon.... and not french...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Get back to Cricket mate....

I heard once .... when TE went to Australia in 1980 series.... in nets he saw one stroke of Dilip Vengsarkar and advised him to play it differently or something...... Veng got upset and complained to SMG and things were different for TE after that. Is it true ??

Also, TE upon landing .... reportedly told the media that TELL LILEE... TE HAS COME !!!!

Wonder whether this was true ?? Big rumour during those days.

Post Thanks / Like
    GRV played another match winning knock against WI - Grade B team in Chennai. It was like a repeat of 75 type..

Vishy playing a solo again... THis time against.... Sylvester Clarke and Co.

The match was very close despite and Kaps hit some lusty blows at the end to the finish the match.

I remember the winning run was a bye .. Kaps and Kiri ?? ran . The keeper was David Murray ( Junior Murray ?? )

SMG was totally failure in this test.

However, he scored a big century in the next test in Calcutta.

Marshall was hit to all parts of the ground in that match.

The same Marshall troubled SMG like anything later before was tamed again by SMG back to back.

Post Thanks / Like
    bala sir,
    the TE incident is true. TE Said "Tell Dennis TE is here".

Yes the bye incident is also correct.

Check this out: (17 MB - to download, click on the Free button, link will come back soon)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/3666007/K...Sixes.wmv.html

Kapil!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    bala sir,
    the TE incident is true. TE Said "Tell Dennis TE is here".

Yes the bye incident is also correct.

Check this out: (17 MB - to download, click on the Free button, link will come back soon)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/3666007/K...Sixes.wmv.html

Kapil!!!

Walrus,

Thanks for the url but the downloading message says.... remaining hours... 4 hours etc.... ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor TE made his debut at the age of 29 I think....

He was given couple of one day chances in Aus.... 1980..

Did not do well....

The entire series was ... Sandeep's................... 65 + in Sydney ... got injured.... came back and played well

Sunny... got out in the first over to Lilee and in second innning.. .to Hogg I think... failed

Adelaide..... 174 ?? brilliant attacking knock... of Sandeep...

Sunny started well .. took control over the situation but unfortunately.... the ball hit his pads and hit the stumps ... off Len Pascoe I think...
    Failed in 2nd inning ......

I think SHivlal Yadav and Ghavri ?? saved the final stages.... Greg Chappel bowling and taking some wickets.......

Third test... Melbourne.... Vishy scoring 114 +....

Sunny going good in knock 2.... was on 80 ?? when Lilee trapped him but it was an inside edge... Umpire gave LBW...

It was a prestige issue match for SUnny as he wanted to prove to the world that he can score against Lilee also. Was well set for a ton but this sad incident......
    Walked out with Chetan chauhan..... finally the manager had to restore normalcy and sanity......

After that it was Kapil's match.... high fever... took pain killers .... came back and won the match the next day...

Much damage was caused by Ghavri... bowling spinners and Greg chappellll getting bowled for a duck....

Doshi bowled well...

Border was caught behind on the previos evening but was not given out... the next day he got out ....

Doug walters dug in and was going well but ultimately we won the match....

Memorable series...

Post Thanks / Like
    hi Bala Sir,
    will reply over email.

Post Thanks / Like

Jubilee test

Wish to mention about the golden jublee test played in Mumbai some time back with England...

Vishy was the captain in that test. Vishy is also well known for his sportsmanhip.

In that test , India was well positioned at one stage when we removed the top order and it was Botham with Taylor ( wicket keeper ). There was a caught behind decision I think against Taylor which was declared out by Umpire.

Taylor was not happy and reacted immediately.

Vishy intervened and recalled him back !! That was probably the start of Saturn effect on Vishy....

Botham and Taylor had a big partnership. Botham scored century ....

The second innings was all Botham.... WIth his customary... trade mark.... lovely outswingers and India had no answer to that...

We lost finally .. what we should have won had VIshy not recalled .

I dont remember any incident of any batsman getting recalled before and after this incident.

Vishy got a very bad name after this match as it was a special occasion to celebrate and we lost the match .....

It was another unfortunate incidents.....

Post Thanks / Like

Ganguly again as Skipper

The Selectors have been wise in chosing Ganguly as the Captain and reposing faith in him
    This in no way undermines the ability of Dravid or their confidence levels but they must have felt that after all Ganguly had done extremely well as a captain … Loss of form is temporary…
    However this could the last chance for Ganguly to come back to form as he no longer can continue purely as a captain…

If Ganguly fails with the bat again… It will be curtains…. But I don’t think so… as Zimbabwe should be the ideal opportunity for all out of form players to come back…

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567