Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: cricket of yesteryear

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Balaji
    By the way, there was a great artist ... very inconsistent guy by name .... Miloslav Mecir....... excellent player but faded quickly.
    Mecir came to India in Jan 1986 for the Quarterfinal with Tomas Smid and beat Vijay and Ramesh with ease. A really lazy mover but very clever player. He reached the final of US Open 86 and Aus Open 89 and won the Seoul Olympic Gold.

Mecir was known as the Big Cat who likes to eat swedes. He has a great record against them. He ruined Wilander's hope of Grandslam by beating him in Wimby 88 Quarters.

The famous event of Mecir is mesmerising Edberg in the Wimby 88 semis, taking first 2 sets. I was delighted that Lendl will crush Mecir in the final. To my disappointment it was a triple tragedy for me - Edberg rallied back to beat Mecir, Becker outgunned Lendl and Steffi ousted Martina for the first time in Wimby. It was sad to see Steffi's bullet forehands whizz past Martina

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    The famous event of Mecir is mesmerising Edberg in the Wimby 88 semis, taking first 2 sets. I was delighted that Lendl will crush Mecir in the final. To my disappointment it was a triple tragedy for me - Edberg rallied back to beat Mecir, Becker outgunned Lendl and Steffi ousted Martina for the first time in Wimby. It was sad to see Steffi's bullet forehands whizz past Martina
    [/quote]

Great memory of the Mecir vs Edberg !! It was Mecir everwhere in first 2 sets and Edberg had no clue to his cross court Crips winners. They were outright winners!! but Edberg rallied to beat him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Bala Sir,
    By the way, I used to go to these book exhibitions in Ketan Hall, it was fabulous!! You can get some 10-12 great books for about 300-400 bucks

Alas... I am with Africans now

Post Thanks / Like
    Steffi ousted Martina for the first time in Wimby. It was sad to see Steffi's bullet forehands whizz past Martina

Some years later , Martina rallied to beat Zina Garrison ?? to win the title again ??

Steffi lost in round 1 I think ??

Post Thanks / Like
    That was 1990. that was the only way martina could win - in steffis absence. Zina bt Steffi in 1990 semifinal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you recollect the epic semifinal - Lendl vs Becker..

Becker won the first set.

Lendl the second and third

And was 4 sets to 2 in fourth I think when rain interrupted.

After the resumption, Becker's FAMOUS BACKHAND started talking and Lendl was out .

the next day Hindu article read.... Becker will tell his grand children about the match....

Probably that was the best grass court tennis Lendl had ever played... coutesy Tony Roche...

We were hoping against hope that night that somehow Lendl will take the trophy. It was a sad moment.

Ultimtely we had some satisfaction as Beker lost to Edberg in FInal ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Bala sir,
    oh my God, i will never forget that match all my life

I have written about it here:
    http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewt...=2352&start=30

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Bala sir,
    oh my God, i will never forget that match all my life

I have written about it here:
    http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewt...=2352&start=30

Walrus,

Great.. I saw your posting just now there and stunned ..... Great work.. especially you mentioned the first service game of Lendl vs Pat cash... Yessss he took a lot of time to finish that game and I remember that set going to tie break .
    Did lendl beat Edberg in semis earlier in 5 sets and it was also a cliff hanger.

COming back to Lendl vs becker epic semfinal.

Do you recollect the words used at one stage by Lendl to the umpire....

OH I AM ALREADY FINDING IT DIFFICULT..... YOU GUYS ARE MAKING THINGS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT FOR ME.... !!!!

Do you remember those words.... It was a sad moment for one of the game's greatest and intelligent personality could not reach the summit of his life.
    Lendll......... very intelligent...... can solve the cube games quickly..... lot of things I can write about him

Ultimately he settled down in Greewich COnnecticut with his charming wife and had 3 children ??
    only to give training to Pete and get defeated in US open quarters later !!!

Another match of Lendl vs Mcenroe..... US open... where he beat him in straight sets.... I think it was in 1985 ....
    Lendl was a good finalist until then French open...As you had mentioned in your other thread........ MC was up 2 sets to love and Lendl beat him clinically in the next 3 years and that was his first grandslam title .

Lendl...... Even today he can win US open from his bed !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Walrus,
    especially you mentioned the first service game of Lendl vs Pat cash... Yessss he took a lot of time to finish that game and I remember that set going to tie break .
    Did lendl beat Edberg in semis earlier in 5 sets and it was also a cliff hanger.
    Bala Sir, glad to find someone who follows lendl so closely!! Yes, with cash, i knew it was always going to be a struggle.
    With Edberg it was a 4 setter, and wasnt too difficult. I never feared that much when it was Edberg.
    But when Lendl lost to Wheaton in third round of 1991 wimby, I knew that Father's Time cruel sentence had been passed

OH I AM ALREADY FINDING IT DIFFICULT..... YOU GUYS ARE MAKING THINGS MUCH MORE DIFFICULT FOR ME.... !!!!

Do you remember those words.... It was a sad moment for one of the game's greatest and intelligent personality could not reach the summit of his life.

Another match of Lendl vs Mcenroe..... US open... where he beat him in straight sets.... I think it was in 1985 ....
    Atleast Goran my other all time favorite had the luck of an upset-ridden 2001 to get wat he wanted..

Yes after that match only he became world #1, and lost it after losing the US open final of 88.

Post Thanks / Like
    Walrus,

Those days it was a mystery for us ... we were wondering why Lendl is losing so badly in Wimbledon in June but comes out with refreshing ease and wins US open in Aug so comfortably .
    I remember he annihilated Andre Agassi several times in US. Nobody could dare touch Ivan until Becker in one great final and after that it was all lendl until Pete broke him in one quarter final. It was Arjuna beating Drona !! ?? as Pete took some coaching from IVan earlier .

Earlier Ivan commented ... Grass is for cows only !!

later he went on record to say..... I will give my french open... my australian open ... even my us open....... FOR ONE WIMBLEDON...

Strange are other facts as well :

1. Borg ..... never won US open
    2. Connors.... never won french
    3. Macenroe.... never won french ( the best tennis he played was against Ivan but Ivan ultimtely won and that was his first grand slam . Am I right ?? )
    4. Ivan ..... never won.. french
    5. Pete Sampras..... never won french

Probably agassi was a complete player...... I remember the Wimbledon title of Agassi. I think he beat your goran ??

Now....... Roger Federerer..... no french title yet....... ???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast