Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading 'Anil's Ghost' by Michael Ondaatje

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shambhavi
    i finally got around to reading sidhartha an old book by herman hesse, i really enjoyed the book, was very fulfilling

coincidently,i have been reading this book too. it was really refreshing.esp. the river analogy.but must say i am still trying to get around the essence of the book tho it's so full of insights.any opinions?

regards,
    rain

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think he is kinda trying to say knowledge is everywhere only if we choose to look and listen, i thhink everything in this universe can teach us only if we stop a moment and listen, this is wat i gathered wat say?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Experience is the best teacher? As one of the key lessons...I think it was the redemption that he felt after experiencing and realising the limits of very other comfort/desire/pleasure before his relization of faith is crucial...good points Shambhavi

Anil's Ghost is a good read...not fully satisfying as I would have liked it to be and of course Ondaatje's fragmentism isn't any less....of all his books i've managed only to read a few...I liked his "coming through slaughter" the best...pure skills...do try and read it when you can

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, guys! for the pointers. yes,it's true.i mean wat else is wisdom in man but knowledge and experience.but was actually intrigued how not just learning but unlearning too which contributes to this wisdom.it is really endearing------siddharta's trial and redemption again and again.

are his other works as good?some Hesse facts from the book-----he won his nobel prize for Magister Ludi but Siddhartha is his "most influential work".(he was very taken in by the East).Narziss and Goldmund is supposed to be "his greatest novel".Steppenwolf is another interesting work as an"account of man torn between animal instinct and bourgeois respectability"

will be a couple of chapters more to the end of this book.hope to catch up during the weekend

regards,
    rain

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reread Pankaj Mishra's "Edmund Wilson in Benares". I think that this story will resonate for anybody from small places who left for for big cities or abroad. The story appeared in 'The New york Review of Books' and was reproduced in one of the Picador books on Indian literaure.
    swarup

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am reading John Connolly's books. Good mix of everthing, and the writer is not 'casual' about his fiction-he researches well into his subjects and then with a good dollop of imagination sends you on an exciting roller coaster ride!

Shoba

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone has read Tash Aw's Harmony Silk Factory?

It is a very depressing novel written by Tash Aw.

The writing itself is not extraordinarily splendid, but the way it unravels deserves the Booker nomination.

"The theme of surface appearance belied by deeper reality is so relentlessly explored that it becomes schematic (...) (T)he crisp promise of the initial narrating voice has not quite been fulfilled. Nevertheless, this book begins with such brio that Tash Aw’s second outing will be eagerly awaited." - Maggie Gee, Sunday Times

Read this only if you have read the book

Review By A Blogger-Same As Above
    An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

~Gandhi~

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Would appreciate comments on the "Known World" - a book highly recommended by Oprah on her show recently.

Haven't had time to browse any leading book-stores yet. So, I would love a synopsis of this book, if anyone had read yet.

Thanks Guys and Ratchasi for starting a thoughtful thread!!
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back, Niro!
    An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

~Gandhi~

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast