Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

red-hot CITY OF ASH by MEGAN CHANCE

I love historical fiction.

Megan Chance is an amazing author.

CITY OF ASH in the social set up of Seattle, WA during 1880.

CITY OF ASH....MEGAN CHANCE.jpg

It is about two independent and strong women.

Geneva(Ginny) is a heiress to Stratford Mining fascinated by arts, paintings, poetry and culture, married to a rogue Nathan Langley.

She brings scandal and shame to her family by posing nude to an artist.

Her rich father banishes her family to Seattle, WA.

Seattle is no match to Chicago, it is backward, Ginny finds her life boring and lonely.

The society aware of her Chicago scandal is unfriendly to her.

Ginny is in loveless marriage and a prisoner in her own home.

Beatrice is an actress with full of potential looking for spectacular opportunities and recognitions.

Then there is a charming, talented playwright Mr. Dewitt.
    He charms both the women. Bea is in love with him.

Scheming and ambitious Nathan has earned Ginny's father's trust over the yrs.
    Nathan is a scumbag, uses both of them.

Ginny and Beatrice narrate the story alternatively.
    At the end the plot come together.

Then the famous Seattle fire.... the tragedy brings the girls closer, the rest of the story is about how both the girls over come their jealousy, work together to fight against Nathan and his roguish plans.

Well developed Characters , love triangles, underhanded schemes, erotic sexy scenes and mesmerizing plot.

Spellbinding. (except that F word usage, did they use the vulgar word in those days ?????? )

Megan chance has been my favorite author, I love her earlier works.

http://www.meganchance.com/

VINATHA.
    Last edited by baroque; 6th August 2011 at 01:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

SOBBING, EMOTIVE MURDER MYSTERY SISTER by ROSAMUND LUPTON

SOBBING, EMOTIVE MURDER MYSTERY

SISTER by ROSAMUND LUPTON

SISTER - ROSAMUND LUPTON.jpg

English woman Beatrice works in New York lives with her boy friend Todd.

Beatrice's younger sister Tess has disappeared, her mom calls Beatrice.

Beatrice hops into an airplane, arrives at London to find out more about what happened.

Novel is narrated by Beatrice as a letter to her missing pregnant younger sister eventually found dead.

Very gripping and emotional novel.

Two sisters are very close. Beatrice is always protective of her sister Tess.

The letter(format of the novel) is very emotive. I am choked with sadness while reading the intimate beautiful letter of Bee to Tess.

Tess involved with a married man and was pregnant.

Cystic fibrosis is in her family. Their brother had cystic fibrosis and died.

Tess finds out her unborn baby has cystic fibrosis and is participating in an medical trial.

The novel talks about their relationship with their mom, some scientific facts on cystic fibrosis.

Emotions run high with the novel. Very powerful murder mystery. Felt very heavy for the past two nights. I was sobbing in some places of the novel

http://www.rosamundlupton.com/books/us

I will follow his next novel.

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 8th August 2011 at 12:21 PM.

Banned Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Here program computer ?

A computer program (called computer program) - a string of symbols describing the calculations in accordance with valid rules, called a programming lingua franca [1]. The program is normally executed sooner than a computer (recompense model, displays the net page), then undeviatingly - if it is expressed in a vernacular understandable in behalf of the machinery or indirectly - if it is interpreted by means of another program (the interpreter). The program can be a organization of instructions that describe the modifications of the apparatus but it can also describe the result in another in the capacity of (eg, lambda calculus).
    <a href="http://jobworld.com.pl/ftp/widnows.7.service.pack.html">Windows 7</a>
    The formal spirit of the count method in the shape of individual language understandable to the rise rules is called when the program expressed in machine-readable (that is, past the numbers, and more exact ones and zeros) is called machine principles or binary grow (executable).

Computer programs can be classified according to their applications. So honourable aside narcotic addict applications, operating systems, video games, compilers, and others. Programs embedded backwards the ruse is referred to as firmware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally I picked up my favorite novel from the library.

Linda Castillo featuring Police Cheif Kate Burkholder, book - (3) BREAKING SILENCE
    is everything I expected, so far.

http://www.lindacastillo.com/

It will work as a stand alone novel too.

Series set in PAINTER'S CREEK,OHIO.

It is Amish community.

Amish folks are private, separate, hardworking and love simple living.

The Slabaugh family is a typical Amish family.

Their children found their mom and dad along with their uncle found dead in the manure pit out at the farm.

Initially it was believed as methane gas accident but regular autopsy changed the case.

They discovered one of the victim hit at the head before death.

Is the murder related to the series of hate crimes(someone is killing livestock, burning buggy, frightening the horse, possibly using molotov cocktail etc..some scary awful incidents going on.) against the Amish community in recent times?

Kate knows the Amish community very well. She is born and raised Amish.
    Now, she left the Amish life.

Though Kate has been working as a cop for a long time, She feels for the children.

She empathize with them. Especially the little one moves her too much. It's a heart break for her to ask them questions about the incident.

Author writes simple, crisp narration of the kids looks, their Amish life styles etc.. Nice to read.

Kate needs to settle the kids with loving family/caregivers. Amish community always generous and take care of their own.

Children have an uncle who is not Amish anymore. He is forbidden from the family.

She needs to get the co-operation of the Amish community for the case, they should not be looking at her as outsider, who left the community, don't belong with them anymore. Anyway... Kate is determined to see justice done.

Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation arrives to help.

Agent John Tomasetti is sent to help.

Kate and John have worked well during previous cases.

He is excited to work with her in this new case. He is eager to see her. It's been some months he hasn't seen her from their previous work.

John is fond of Chief of police.

Earlier, Kate & John were drawn to each other due to their troubled pasts.

His relationship with Kate saved not only his career but his personal life.

Kate is also happy about their relationship. John is her friend. She has a fling with him.

This book is more about Kate's emotions. It states about Kate's recall about her Amish upbringing, her brothers & sisters..she misses them due to her own evasion now .She thinks about her innocent, happy Amish little girl life and then how it all changed by 15 , she was on her way to damnation.

Kate is strong but has her own troubles. Kate and John both have their own flaws. John is getting his life back together.

Like the characters very much.

I like Kate and John together. Kate is excited to see John at her work place. KATE-JOHN 'S ROMANCE ,their relationship is getting serious this time.

Fantastic plot, nice characters, terrific crime novel with twists, turns and wonderful writing as always.

I have finished only 3/4 novel....need to wait for tonight to finish...

Love the novel, thrilling twists and Kate & John's romance, personal lives are combined into the crime novel wonderfully... Neat, intelligible writing.

BREAKING SILENCE-LINDA CASTILLO.jpg

Finished tonight.

Wow,

shocking...
    Appearances are deceptive

Secrets and lying of dysfunctional family......What an unexpected end!

pacey and intense end chapters....FANTASTIC.

Hope to see the series grow.

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 11th August 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" - Milan Kundera
    my first attempt at reading philosophical fiction
    heavy with meaning, it felt like wading through layers of narrative and character and how they connect and illustrate the postulates stated by Kundera
    morose, political, yet inspiring...
    helps to read further analyses after reading it and makes you appreciate the author's talent that much more

Post Thanks / Like

Engrossing before i go to sleep....s.j.watson

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP.....S.J.WATSON..jpg

I Picked up BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP BY S.J.WATSON from the library.

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP......is about a lady- Christine, who wakes up next to a middle aged man in his(or their?) house doesn't know and remember how she got there.

The man- Ben tells her that he is her hubby and she is suffering from amnesia. She forgotten most of what happened in her life, she keeps a journal to manage day to day life. Ben loves her very much and cares for her at home.

When Ben goes to work after giving her schedule of the day, she got a call.

The man on the phone claims that he is her Doctor. Dr.Nash says that she is making progress with him.
    He is helping her from Amnesia and keeping their meetings secret. Her journal says 'Don't tell Ben'. He tells her that it is her decision not to tell Ben yet, wanting to wait until they make progress.

This is how Christine tries to figure out her life. Awful.

Chirstine's journal forms most of the book, as we read more & more into her journal, it's a disturbing feeling.

Can she trust Ben?

Confused and terrified world of Christine Lucas is very engrossing . (I kind of guessed the end. So I was not frightened or anxious when reading those end chapters.)

Good read indeed.

http://www.facebook.com/beforeigotosleep

Wow, It's going to be a movie.

amnesia movie!

Inception fame Christopher Nolan's earlier movie MEMENTO is on a man suffering from short term memory loss. Thriller.

I remember my husband was watching it on NETFLIX

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Memento/60020435

I love amnesia movies, from Kamal's moondram pirai to recent Ghajini(inspired from Memento)
    Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 17th August 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

SHUT YOUR EYES TIGHT.......JOHN VERDON....HEFTY NOVEL is a good read.

Author of THINK OF A NUMBER - JOHN VERDON is back with his intelligent, flawed, retired detective Dave Gurney.

SHUT YOUR EYES TIGHT.......JOHN VERDON....HEFTY NOVEL is a good read.

I was eagerly expecting the second installment to visit upstate Newyork with our ace detective Gurney along with his wife Madeleine.

Author did a fine job of integrating their personal life in his earlier Creepy novel.

Madeleine is intelligent, enjoys nature, wants to live a quite life after enduring some difficult times during Dave's cop yrs.

Madeleine is not happy when her hubby was contacted by his former colleague Jack Hartwick.

A wealthy, prominent lady wants to hire Dave Gurney as a consultant.

Her beautiful, young daughter who marries celebrity psychiatrist (more than twice her age)was murdered at her wedding reception in a horrific manner.

Missing mexican gardener is presumed murderer.

She wants Dave Gurney to take a look at the cold blooded murder case that has taken the state police several months with no progress.

In spite of his wife's disappointment, our Dave Gurney gets involved in the case.

It is a big book... around 509 pages but I enjoyed the good multilayered mystery and the complex police procedural with several criminal elements.

I took a week to finish the novel. I was not in a hurry. ( I do other things too )

I enjoyed the author's simple narration (told mostly through Gurney's eyes),

his detailed offering of Dave Gurney's thoughts and his restless nature (his preoccupation of whether to fertilize the asparagus plants..),

deep Madeleine who speaks volumes with her warm smiles while passing by Dave when he is busy without uttering words, their marital dysfunction.

JOHN VERDON writes beautiful descriptions.

Chapter - 15 BLACK & WHITE , is my favorite - Gurney's mulling over his love for solving crime even in retirement, Madeleine's disappointment with his workaholic temperament, their troubled relationship and tension in their marriage, coyotes incident etc.. I love it.

eerie book is a good read. I am glad.

SHUT YOUR EYES TIGHT-JOHN VERDON.jpg

Last edited by baroque; 29th August 2011 at 07:57 AM.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber satissh_r's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Immortals of Meluha + Secret of the Nagas - A fantasy on Indian mythology, Amish Tripathi builds on common facts and myths to form a brilliant story(Da Vinci ode could well have been his inspiration). I loved the Secret of Nagas the best of the two books and I recommend it for people who like history based fiction
    Patience, Forgiveness and Understanding are great tools for humanity...! Spread the Love - A R Rahman

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reserving SARA PEKKANEN's chick lit for the holidays while traveling in the plane.

Interesting read with some emotional moments.

Sara Pekkanen's previous book THE OPPOSITE OF ME is a good one.

love the story about intricate complexity of marriage, life, love and forgiveness.

SKIPPING A BEAT is funny, emotional and I connected with the characters well. very heart-felt.

Sara Pekkanen's writing is pleasing. Passages on Julia's thoughts about their life, her passion , how she found solace in opera are wholehearted. I liked it very much. enjoyed reading it.

author's web site.

http://www.sarahpekkanen.com/

from her web site

Skipping a Beat

What would you do if your husband wanted to rewrite the rules of your relationship?

Julia Dunhill, a thirty-something party planner, seems to have it all: Married to her high school sweetheart and living in a gorgeous home in Washington D.C., she imagines her future unfolding very much as it has for the past few years, since she and her husband Michael successfully launched their companies. There will be dinner parties to attend, operas to dress up for, and weddings and benefits to organize for her growing list of clients. There will be shopping sprees with her best friend, Isabelle, and inevitably those last five pounds to shed. In her darker moments, she worries that her marriage has dissolved from a true partnership into a façade, but she convinces herself it’s due to the intensity of their careers and fast-paced lifestyle.
    So as she arranges the molten chocolate cupcakes for the annual Opera benefit, how can she know that her carefully-constructed world is about to fall apart? That her husband will stand up from the head of the table in his company’s boardroom, open his mouth to speak, and crash to the carpeted floor… all in the amount of time it will take her to walk across a ballroom floor just a few miles away. Four minutes and eight seconds after his cardiac arrest, a portable defibrillator jump-starts Michael’s heart. But in those lost minutes he becomes a different man, with an altered perspective on the rarified life they’ve been living and a determination to regain the true intimacy they once shared. Now it is up to Julia to decide — is it worth upending her comfortable world to try to find her way back to the husband she once adored, or should she walk away from this new Michael, who truthfully became a stranger to her long before his change of heart?

I revisited விக்ரமனின் வந்தியத்தேவன் வாள் too, while traveling .
    எத்தனை தடவை படிச்சு இருப்பேன் இந்த life ல ...love it .
    Glad I grew up reading கல்கி, விக்ரமன் , நா. பார்த்தசாரதி etc .

Charming holiday reads for me.

HAPPY ONAM TO YOU ALL!

Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 10th September 2011 at 04:34 AM.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just happened to stumble on these books .....and after a long time i am back to reading......this time it is 'the immortals of Meluha" by Amish.

A good mix of mythology and referential history and a probable connection with the reality. Amish's next book "the secret of the Nagas" is waiting !

Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast