Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re-acquainted self with childhood favourite R.K.Narayanan - an omnibus containing Guide, Waiting for Mahatma, World of Nagaraj and Dark Room. Guide, I read as a 12 year old and just took in the ambience - it does reveal some deft characterisation and story-telling now. Also, while the present is in third person, the past is in first person. Noticed this only in current reading - not sure if the technique is original or intentional but it does turn out to be a fascinating read because of that..

Waiting for Mahatma and w
    World of Nagaraj, incredibly, are mere compilations of the state of mind of the protagonist in the present - even as he goes through his life after we are introduced to Nagaraj, we continue to see him rambling about random past events and states of mind - more fodder for the anecdotal evidence theory.Very cosy, comfy, eventless novel - nothing really happens yet he captures several vignettes of a freshly-independent south indian small town. Claustrophobically refusing to go beyond the confines of Kabir Street and Sarayu river steps, it is definitwely a tribute to the writer's engaging skills.
    Waiting for Mahatma, on the other hand, is linear but still is a series of thoughts of Sriram.
    But Dark Room was the best - amazing capture of a little- educated dependent housewife and her efforts to get independent of her cheating husband. The cute golu sequences - only rkn possible.

Still waiting to read english teacher and painter of signs - I was forbidden as a child to reas the latter presumably for adult content.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    before that, circle of reason by amitav ghosh, easily the best indian english writer, the seths,roys and rushdies be damned

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Family matters by Rohinton Mistry
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Brown's Digital Fortress! Fantastic! Enjoyed reading it. The thrill sustained till the last sentence!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently trying my hand at reading Heinrich Boll in German - I like reading works in the original if I can. This is my second try, and it's going much better than the first - it's hard work, but rewarding. I've just finished a collection of short stories, and I'm now reading Haus ohne Huter.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    reading Amitav Ghosh's "Sea of Poppies"...just the glossary or should i say "Chrystomathy" was mind-opening

Was very disappointed with Neil Bissoondath's latest work "The Soul of All Great Designs"...he was the last author whom I expected to fall back on such basic stereotypes of an Immigrant Indian.

# The Worlds Within Her
    # The Unyielding Clamour of the Night
    # A Casual Brutality
    # The Innocence of Age

were all engrossing and fully rounded works...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Thousand Splendid Suns- Amazing. Loved everything and it was as good as Kite Runner.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibha
    A Thousand Splendid Suns- Amazing. Loved everything and it was as good as Kite Runner.
    Really? IMHO I felt that he was more focused on creating a bigger phenom than Kite Runner that he went overboard...I still feel Kite Runner is his best work

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibha
    Really? IMHO I felt that he was more focused on creating a bigger phenom than Kite Runner that he went overboard...I still feel Kite Runner is his best work
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kite Runner was AMAZING, but I liked this one too The rules of the Taliban was more detailed in this than the kite runner and that was the part which made me like Thousand Splendid Suns.

His novels are really intense.

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast