Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Boy in Striped Pyjamas...I couldn't sleep for some time after reading this book......will catch the movie...

Reading Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinthiya
    The Boy in Striped Pyjamas...I couldn't sleep for some time after reading this book......will catch the movie...
    I wanna read the book

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    really good...so innocent...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    really good...so innocent...

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually avoid this thread, gives me the chills, people downing books faster than I can eat 5 meals a day.

Podalangai said
    I have mixed feelings about Midnight's Children, as I do about Shalimar - I understand why Rushdie felt the need to write them both, and they're perfectly decent books, but they're not amongst my favourites. My wife also convinced me to read The Ground beneath her feet and The Moor's last sigh. Both were OK, but I didn't really like them that much.
    I agree with you.
    I am surprised you could read past 13 pages of rushdie's 4 books. or was it the love for your wife that made you go through that.
    i felt his writing to be fancy for the sake of being different & honestly insipid & phlegmatic (to use his style), however in my opinion it does have some benefit for people suffering from insomnia.

Quote Originally Posted by Querida
    The Valkyries...Paulo Coelho
    I'm always wary of inspirational literature...especially when people say things like "it changed my life profoundly!"

I have read his most acclaimed "The Alchemist" short read, it felt like a long forward that you get in your mail...with quotes very well placed...I found some parts worth noting down and the rest was just simple language used to tell a well philosophical tale....:

A Sample:

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”

My most favourite part is actually what comes before the story even begins...a captivating prologue which shares another "lesser known" version of The Story of Narcissus...

Along the same lines; I started Hitler's autobiography, after I heard one of my friends say "my dad stopped reading Mein Kampf because he was scared of changing completely, the writing was so powerful"
    I was quite disappointed & after the first 100 odd pages, decided my opportunity cost was much higher than reading his ramblings. although i love watching his speeches, it makes for a better performance that i don't understand german!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killua
    I usually avoid this thread, gives me the chills, people downing books faster than I can eat 5 meals a day.
    Along the same lines; I started Hitler's autobiography, after I heard one of my friends say "my dad stopped reading Mein Kampf because he was scared of changing completely, the writing was so powerful"
    I was quite disappointed & after the first 100 odd pages, decided my opportunity cost was much higher than reading his ramblings. although i love watching his speeches, it makes for a better performance that i don't understand german!

Post Thanks / Like
    i felt his writing to be fancy for the sake of being different

I'm always wary of inspirational literature...especially when people say things like "it changed my life profoundly!"
    Wary of change, are we ?

"All art is superbly sterile" said Oscar Wilde. For me, Wilde saying that is a paradox.

Your friend should have persisted with learning the German languages, then he may have been able to provide insights into the Fuhrerian mind.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    i felt his writing to be fancy for the sake of being different

Wary of change, are we ?

"All art is superbly sterile" said Oscar Wilde. For me, Wilde saying that is a paradox.

Your friend should have persisted with learning the German languages, then he may have been able to provide insights into the Fuhrerian mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi PR,

The wild guy you refer to always avoided saying things in black or white & seemed like he was stuck on the wrong end of things, like he couldn't make up his mind.

a little correction: "I'm always wary of inspirational literature....." were Q's thoughts.

Hows this for friends and german(s)!
    a friend of mine has a german GF & he insists on calling her Eva Bronte' & makes her call him Mein Furher!, not sure if goes ahead with the salute though.

Post Thanks / Like
    a little correction: "I'm always wary of inspirational literature....." were Q's thoughts.
    We are what we quote.
    a friend of mine has a german GF & he insists on calling her Eva Bronte' & makes her call him Mein Furher!, not sure if goes ahead with the salute though.
    He may like this .

Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast