Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sizzling family drama by tara hyland

Novel about passion, love, abuse, romance, abandonment, resentment, search, longing, hot sex scenes, glamour, fashion, a journalist's investigation and more.. All end well in SINS OF THE MOTHER by TARA HYLAND.

http://www.tarahyland.com/

Description from the book

From the poverty of postwar England and Ireland to the glitz and glamour of Hollywood's golden age, a beautiful, sweeping family drama that illustrates the bonds between a mother and daughter can never be broken.

SINS OF THE MOTHER-NOVEL.jpg

I love it.

Novel is about Franny , a fun loving, free spirited girl from a small, farm community, Ireland. (Country cork-1946).

She just wants to escape from the poverty of her home .
    She passionately in love with Sean-a laborer works in her father's land.
    Sean is a free spirit, unconcerned by social conventions.
    He likes to travel, goes around wherever there is work.
    When Sean discovers she is pregnant with his child, he abandons her.
    Franny runs away from her parent's place, gives birth to a little girl Cara.
    Initial years, Franny got the support from a good hearted Annie for boarding in the city-London, raising Cara with her children.
    Franny works as a nightclub performer.
    Franny is talented and beautiful, she dreams of working in Hollywood.
    Does she get a good break?
    What will she do with her little girl Cara?
    Does Franny ever return to her parents?

I absolutely love this novel.

Novel offers a wide range of settings and atmospheres.
    I love Franny during her teen years, later I hated her for her choices to pursue her dream job.
    Relationships are wonderfully portrayed in this historical fiction with a beautiful glimpse into golden era of Hollywood.
    Franny becomes successful in her show biz, marries millionaire Maximillian Stanhope. She wants to tell him about Cara but couldn't find a right time.

Franny's daughter Cara is a strong little girl endures all the troubles life thrown at her, turned into a successful journalist who just wants to know about her mother's fate.

When Franny decides to leave Cara with her mom at her small farm cottage, Cara hated her life with grumpy granny.
    She longs for her mother's return and hopes someday, her mom will come and get her.
    But all she gets are empty promises from her mom.
    When granny died, the authorities take her to an orphanage, her life gets miserable and she escapes from the place.
    She eventually finds her way back to Annie from her childhood days.
    Cara becomes a journalist. When she learns about her mom's tragic death, she wants to know more.
    As she investigates, she finds the hidden truth.

SIZZLING WORK INDEED.
    vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 23rd November 2011 at 04:50 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    God of small things - Brilliance - the characters, analogies, presentation, description - wow!

Hypocrisy, backstabbing, love, caste, religion, molesting child etc.. were expressed so well without any compromise.
    Half of the story was said in a view point of kids, certain sequence were truly mind blowing. A.Roy took 4 years to complete this novel. A classic and must read if you did not.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    just finished reading 'The Palace of Illusions' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. these are two splendid books and incidentally both are women centric.

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I starsted reading it. no doubt about Orwell's genius but i a have not been able to finish the book. felt it a little slow. may be i'll pick it up some time later. need some motivation.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mein kampf.

lived with his highness.....

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown last night. Loved it tremendously. This is the 3rd novel I read by this author- the 1st being Davinci Code & the 2nd Angels and Demons.. I like this better! Amazing narrative skills, lucid style of continuing different threads of the story with cinematic thrill ans sustained suspense. I never expected Zacary could be.....let me not break the suspense for those who have not read it yet!
    I was very impressed by the Masonic and Noetic ideas described- can relate my own inclinations to them. Happy to see the connection -commonness- in all ancient beliefs and practices. Got educated about the magical squares and a lot more interesting matters of science and spirituality. Strangely surprised to read the importance of number 33. Recalled our family tradition in olden days to gift Rs.6 to a newborn baby: 'aaRu aaRaay perugum' was the belief. The number 6 is supposed to have the magical, auspicious potential to grow as a flowing fertile river.
    Washington city's history and its architecture were eye-openers to me who has learnt only the purely political history of America in my school syllabus which included a separate paper on American history. I verified with my kids who have visited the capital/Capitol about its ancient architecture model!
    A great author to read and get enlightened by! Shall try to read his other works also.
    Last edited by pavalamani pragasam; 19th February 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read regularly.

I stopped posting the titles last couple of months.

Thought I post few Young adult reads I enjoyed as much as my son while helping him for his comprehension for the past month. (world war 2, Japanese invasion, Burma, India's history etc...all coming!)

4 titles from my son's reading list !

SMALL ACTS OF AMAZING COURAGE-GLORIA WHELAN

The back drop of India's struggle to Independence & a young girl with strong personality, passion and awareness make this short novel a delightful read.

Story set in India, during World War.
    Young English girl Rosalind grew up in India unlike other British families who sent their children back to England while they were stationed in India on duty.

Rosalind spent lot of time with her Indian friend Isha, picked up Hindi, was roaming around the Bazaar, though her father hated her habits.

Her father insisted on her English behaviors, wanted her not to hang around with local janta. He really wanted to send her back to England, but her mom begged to keep her with them, they already lost their son.

Of course eventually, her father made the decision to send her back to England.

Her friend Isha was married to an older man who was supporting Gandhi movement.

She also met a young man in her mom's lady's club, Max Nelson who was serving under her father. He was interested in Indian freedom & his mom ran an orphanage.

Rosalind was very intrigued by his talks on Gandhi and freedom movements.

Thus the story of Rosalind developed in SMALL ACTS OF AMAZING COURAGE by the author.

Then she was sent to England to live with her aunts.
    Rest of the story was about how she helped her oppressed aunt’s wish to see India.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++

WATERSHIP DOWN – RICHARD ADAMS

It is a classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watership_Down

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ELEPHANT RUN – ROLAND SMITH

It is a historical adventure set in Burma during their Japanese invasion. Pace is fantastic .

I have seen him reading Roland smith’s novels with great interest always.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

young adult lit.jpg

young adult lit-2.jpg

ஒரு மாறுதலுக்கு அவன்கிட்டே இருந்து titles போட்டேன்!

Adults will love them too!

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 2nd March 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Memories of a middle aged man of his first girlfriend and his best friend, Adrian.
    Why did his GF's mother bequeath him 500 pounds and Adrian's diary?

A compulsive read
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chinaman - the legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan Karunatilaka. Fantabulous !!

Happy that the book won the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature in 2011. Well deserving !

Thanks to Prabhu for recommending
    Last edited by Roshan; 23rd March 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liked very much "காலா...அருகே வாடா''- a short story by Krishna Davinci published in the last issue of the weekly, Ananda Vikatan. Packed with very correct facts and information. An eye-opener to many on many matters! With positive message about healthcare methods available to us.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast