Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IDLIS

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Courtney (@ c-ai*) on: Thu Aug 30 13:00:24

Can anyone help with suggestions , I live in Ireland where it is cold 10C/50F and damp. When i made my batter it took 3 days to ferment! plus I have an electric oven. The market has a mix but I haven't tried it.
    I would appreciate any ideas as I so love iddlys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

aarthi (@ pppa*) on: Tue Oct 2 15:51:35

hi,

just came across this page while looking for rava idlis.. good. lemme try it out and tell u all how it was..

Post Thanks / Like

rama krishna bommidala (@ ) on: Mon Dec 17 12:23:29

FROM RAMA KRISHNA IN INDIA.

EARLIER I HAVE LIVED IN US FOR A LONG TIME.
    SIMPLE INSTANT IDLIES CAN BE MADE AS UNDER.

RICE RAVA AND YOURHURT TO ME MIXED WELL IN 1:1 ratio. ADD SALT. PUT THE BATTER IN THE IDLY PLATE AND STEAM IT. GOOD FLUFFY CREAMY IDLIES IN NO TIME.

ENJOY.

Post Thanks / Like

Sriram (@ 66.1*) on: Thu Jan 3 20:25:34

I've read a lot and tried a bit. Idli rava, par boiled, rice rava et all. I haven't gotten close to the REAL thing. Nor have people who've fed me idlis, in the US, I mean.

So strongly recommend the dosa maavu sold in Taj Mahal store in Dallas. The dosas made out of this are like the ones Mom makes at home in channai

Post Thanks / Like

Rajashree (@ cach*) on: Mon Jan 21 11:38:41

Hi,
    I've gone through enough trial and error for the whole world put together for idlis. Finally, this has worked.
    Goya Canilla Long Grained rice- 4 cups (This rice is available in most american grocery stores)
    Urad Dal-1 1/4 cups
    Methi seeds- 1 tsp

Toast 3 cups of rice in a dry kadhai till it's snow-white and opaque. Then soak along with the other 1 cup of rice. Soak dal and methi together in another vessel.
    Grind dal+methi. Then grind rice, adding enough water to help it grind. Mix both, add enough salt. Add more water, if necessary, to get a batter-like consistency.
    In colder climates, just turn on the oven for a couple minutes. Turn it off and let the batter rest in the oven. Every 3-4 hrs, turn on the oven for a couple minutes. This'll help maintain some heat, which also helps the batter rise. Make idlis as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave (@ 6.co*) on: Mon Feb 18 14:51:34

Can anyone help please. I used to live in south India until the early 1950's and I remember a drink made with milk, sugar and almonds, very rich and rather like a thick milk shake. What is it called and how is it made ?

Post Thanks / Like

Janet Narayanasamy (@ host*) on: Thu May 30 12:47:15

Hi,

I found this topic while trying to find the name of the rice that I have at home for making Idlis. My Athi purchased it while she was here at the Indian shop. I believe the bag says Puni Rice, but it is parboiled rice. This is the recipe that she taught me while she was here. My husband raves that I make the softest idlis and best Sambar.

1. Rinse rice and dal. Soak urad dal (split black gram) and parboiled rice separately in water for at least 2 hours.

2. Poor off most the water (reserve) and grind dal in wet grinder or blender until smooth and thick. Add some of the water the dal was soaked in if needed. Transfer to large bowl. If using blender, allow it to cool for 5 minutes before grinding rice.

3. Poor most the water from the rice and grind in wet grinder or blender until texture is like fine grains of wet sand. Add ground dal to blender with salt and blend one more minute to mix. (If all the dal will not fit in blender, add as much as will fit comfortably leaving some space for mixture to rise during blending.)

4. Pour mixture into large bowl and cover. Allow to sit out on counter or in warm place like the oven undisturbed until fermented and volume has about doubled. This will take between 12-24 hours in a 78% house and between 6-12 hours in 82% house. If using the oven, prewarm to lowest temp and turn off before putting bowl into oven.

To cook:
    1. Spray idli trays with Pam cooking spray. Add two cups of water to bottom of pressure cooker and turn temp to high to heat water.

2. Stir mixture gently and ladle idli trays. Fill to level with tray – do not over fill or the idli will rise and stick to the next tray. Stack trays with air vents staggered and place into pressure cooker. Cover with lid and close vent. When pot comes to full pressure, reduce heat slightly, open vent and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and allow pressure to go off. Remove lid and allow steam to completely go off. Move trays to counter and let rest another minute or two. Transfer idlis to warmer (tortilla warmer works fine).

Serve with Sambar and Chutney.

Post Thanks / Like

Ramki (@ ipgw*) on: Thu May 30 14:18:14

what is 72% house and 82% house?

Post Thanks / Like

Janet_Narayanasamy (@ host*) on: Mon Jun 3 19:26:34

78% house and 82% house is how hot the house was Ferenheight - sorry for mix up.

Post Thanks / Like

Janet_Narayanasamy (@ host*) on: Mon Jun 3 19:30:17

Hi again,

I have been asked to share my Sambar recipe.

Ingredients:
    1 cup Toor dal Kori or Mung dal
    2 cups water
    1 small head garlic, peeled and sliced (about 3 rounded tablespoons)
    10 pearl onions, quartered or 1 small yellow onion, chopped
    6 curry leaves
    ¼ tsp fenugreek seed
    1 tsp urad dal
    ½ tsp black mustard seeds
    2 tsp Sambar powder (MTR brand or homemade preferred)
    1 Roma Tomato, chopped
    6 drumsticks
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 small potato
    3 TBL vegetable oil
    1 TBL Cilantro, chopped
    2 tsp Salt

Preparation:

1. Clean Dal and place in bowl with 2 cups water, half the onions, 6 cloves garlic, and 4 curry leaves. Place in pressure cooker with sufficient water, cover with lid and bring to full pressure. Reduce heat to med-high (enough to retain good pressure) and cook 15 minutes. Turn off heat and allow pan to cool gradually.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in pan on med-high. Fry urad dal, fenugreek seed, and mustard seed until mustard seeds pop. Add curry leaves and remaining onions. Sauté until onions begin to brown, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Add tomato and cook until tomato is mashed and dry, about 5 minutes. Add Sambar powder and stir well for one more minute. Add vegetables and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

3. Add dhal to frying pan when ready. If desired, rinse pressure cooker and save water for Rasam. Add salt and cilantro. Cook and stir gently for a few minutes. Check for salt. Serve with idli, dosa or basmati rice.

Note: vegetables can be varied - okra, eggplant, pumpkin, etc. A handful of greens can also be added. To reduce cooking time, veggies can be steamed prior to adding to masala.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast