Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: After Kannadasan Who ??

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Balaji
    By the way,

Yaarai nambi naan porandhen pongada ponga - Shivaji / TMS from Enga uru Raaja

Who wrote that ??

Is it Valee or Kannadasan
    Hello saradhaji,

Quoting my own reference !!

I love those words :

Pettiyilay panamilay , petha pullay sondhamillay !!!

Paanayilay sorirundhaa , ponaigalum sondhamadaa !!!

Wonderful words . It must be Valee. He only can write sarcastically like that

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by saradhaa_sn
    Dear Balaji....

The song "Yaarai nambi naan porandhen" was written by Kannadasan.

Yes, I also like those lines and its situation.
    Hello Saradhaji,

What a killer song it was. I wonder and amazed on how Kannadasan and Valee , also Pattukotai KS could pack their songs with so much values !!
    Their greatest strength was to give powerful messages THROUGH SIMPLE WORDS .

I also love Sakka podu podu raaja , as you had listed in Baratha vilas . Its a nice song which Shivaji will chat with his manasatchiiii

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naan Nirantharamanavn Azhivathillai
    Entha Nilailum Enakku Maranamillai

(Kannadasan Ratha Thilagam-1962)

Valee was looking for chances to write songs. Though he was starving, he decined an invitation from Kannadasan to work under him, all because Valee wanted to be independent. After much struggling he decided to return to Sri Rangam- heart broken. It was these lines that changed his heart to persevere:

Unakkum Keezhe Ullavar Kodi
    Ninaithu Paarthu Nimmadi Naadu

In fact Valee's debut was the song "Konjidum Mangai Kumari Aanaal" (Film:Azhagar Malai Kalvan: Sung by PS: MD - Gobalan). He continued to struggle. He wrote here and there incinsisently, owing to few chances.

In 1964 owing to some misunderstanding with Kannadasan, MGR made an open statement that henceforth Valee would write for his films, at a time when Kannadasan was the main writer of his songs. Kannadasan too immediately responded by giving another satement that he would cease to write for MGR -starred films.

Then came Deivathaai (first of Sathya Studios production)and Saravana Screen's Padagotti where all songs were penned by Valee.

Following the success of these film songs, a special gathering was arranged to honour Valee. Kannadasan was invited to preside. Many poets overpraised Kannadasan, indicating that Valee was second to him. When Kannadasan spoke, he praised Valee and gave his own gold chain to Valee for the following lines:

"Velli nalave Vilakkai Eriyum
    Kadalthaan Engal Veedu
    Mudinthaal Mudiyum Thodarnthaal thodarum
    ithuthaan engal Vaazkai-
    Ithudaan engal Vaazhkai"

This came as a surprise to all present.

MGR used Valee to check Kannadasan. it is in history that more than anyone else it was MGR who paid keen attention to each and every line, nay words in the songs. Finally MGR too was pushed to realise that Kannadasan was simply incomparable. When Aayirathil Orivan was in the making, Valee could not bring out the peotic depth of Kannadasan. MGR, who was not in talking terms with Kannadasan phoned Kannadasan and summoned him to the studio where Valee and MGR were struggling to create the lyrics for a particular sitution. When Kannadasan turned up, within a fleeting moment, he wrote that great song in the presence of Valee. The song is

Odum Megangale Oru Sol Keleero
    Aadum Manathinile Aaruthal Thaareero

MGR who was more than fully satisfied, requested him to complete all the other songs for the film, apart from those already written by Valee. Just listen to "Naanamo Innum Naanamo" and "Atho Antha paravai Pola vaazha Vendum"

Atho antha paravai tune is used as the national anthem in Vietnam.

KS Gobalakrishnan, who had counted on the strength of Kannadasan songs in his movies, threw a friendly challenge upon Kannadasan and used Valee in Karpagam. Kannadasan appreciated "0Pakkathu veettu paruva machaan" song lines. However, in his next movie, Gobalakrishnan came back to using Kannadasan for reasons only KSG could explain.

In the mid 1960s the Tamilnadu song fans were rather confused as they quoted Kannadasan for songs by Valee and vice versa in a few cases. That was because among the contemporaries then, it was only Valee who could go closest to Kannadasan.

Valee's open statement was that Kannadasan was his poetic mentor. Valee again had made it very open that his greatest achievement in the cine field was to have gained accolades from Kannadasan.

A few others did come close to Kannadasan's peotic power, but that was only short- lived.

Valee is the closest, and perhaps next to Kannadasan, but he in no way replaces Kannadasan.

Manisekaran

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manisekaran,

I quite enjoyed reading your post.

But everything you have said is before a guy named Vairamuthu was asked to write a song by Illayaraja and Bharathiraja.

The new kid Vairamuthtu wrote 'vaanam enakkoru bhothi maram. naalum athuvoru seethi tharum', which made even Kannadasan sit up and take notice.

The rest, as the cliche goes, is history.

Valee might have been the closest competitor for Kannadasan during his time-that's not a testtament of Valee's talent, but rather the lack of talent when compared to Kannadasan's during that time. But Valee can never replace Kannadasan or Vairamuthu. The only other cine-poet I hold in high regard is Pattukottai - sadly he died young.

All the others have written many good songs and some great songs. But that's it. Nothing comapred to Kannadasan and Vairamuthu who could turn a song for a stupid run of the mill cinema situation into a poetic gem.

AIMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Manisekharan,

Thank you for taking back by several years and giving us indepth study on the facts.

However, its very very difficult to identify which song is of Valee's and which one is Kannadasan's as both used the same style - very simple wording but catchy

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Manisekaran...

There is no doubt 'Padakotti' (1964) songs brought valee to a bright light, by the way that it is a MGR film. But Valee's name was fame and his songs were talked by people before one year when Karpagam was released in 1963.

There is a real story narrated by K.S.Gopalakrishnan in Kumudham (weekly), how he brought Valee in Karpagam to write all four songs. Before 'Karpagam' KSG gave a big hit movie 'Saradha'. In 100th day function of saradha, Kannadasan mentioned that the victory of Saradha is because of his songs only. KSG got angry on KD and decided to give a hit movie without KD's songs. He told MSV to suggest a lyric writer for his next movie Karpagam. MSV, eventhough best friend of Kannadasan, introdced Valee to KSG. On hearing the first song Valee wrote (aayiram iravugal varuvadhundu), KSG told Valee to write all songs for Karpagam.

"Karpagam" became great hit and run more than 100 days in several cities in TN. Then Kannadasan met KSG in a studio and appreciated him, "You proved that you can give a bit hit wihout my songs. Good. For your next film "Siththi" I will write all the songs". All songs of Kannadasan in 'Siththi' was also became famous among people.

After Valee joined with MGR and how he grew was a well known history.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vaali's first hit song was Sirikindral indru sirikindral from Nallavan vaazhvan

Music was by T.R.Paappa..

he raised to stardom from karpagam and then padagotti and then never looked back..

Name a situation and Vaali has a song for that.. that's the skill of vaali..

Saradha, balaji and others do read Gems of kavingar vaali thread and post your comments there too

regards

raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Raathiriyil poothirukkum thaamarai than pennoo

Beautiful song from Valee .

Valee is capable of writing such songs as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    yov idhu enna chat foruma illa discussion foruma??? neenga rendu paer mattum pesikittuirukinga????

hey nice posting both of u.....but one thing i found very hurting is u guys think 1983(the year i was born) was the end of creativity in Tamil cinema???? no i wud like to object to this.......
    then wat abt Nayagan which came after that????
    wat abt Roja which identified a true villain in pakistani terrorists to whole Indian cinema????
    wat abt entry of ARRahman, the best Asian composer of our times (as claimed by Mumbai mirror paper)
    wat abt entry of selvaraghavan/bala with their hard-hitting natural movies

see u guys grew up watching BR,IR,Mahendran so u think they r the best but for me MR,ARR,Shankar,Selvaraghavan r THE people......so pls dunt generalise things saying 1980 is the only decade where intelligent ppl. lived.......

i thought i had to reply cos i felt it was my era of stars getting insulted......
    8)

Dear Maddy,

Me and Sharadhajiii are not old enough yet !!!

What we are concerned is the lack of quality and commitment to the job

Yes, Maniratnam was the last of the previous list of greats and he only did the movie - Nayagan.
    The same MR only did Roja also . MR is the last of the previous list of greats

The only guy whom I feel is doing a good job is - CHERAN

I loved his Autograph and Pandavar Boomi and also vetrikodi kattu.

Quite a thinking director.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    rathiriyil poothirukkum was by pulamai pithan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast