Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Movies You would Recommend Others to Watch

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alwarpet_andavan
    Quote Originally Posted by abbydoss1969
    Dances with the wolves is not western! It is anti-western.
    It is made from the Point of view of the native Americans. Traditional westerns are made from the Pov of white guys, trying to conquer the frontier, with the natives being the villians.
    That's pleasantly surprising AND interesting.
    Wish HW made war movies also without imposing the American viewpoint. We do have (anti)war movies like Platoon, but at worst they glorify American genocide and at best take into account only the Amercian cost of war, and not the costs of the victims

Even in Apocalypse Now, the story has just two view-points - that of the Americans and the French.
    Hi,
    There is an interesting story behing making of DWW,It was written as a novel by the author 15 years before the movie was made living in trailer vans etc.After he met, Kevin costner, he remade it into a screenplay and even with KC, it took more than ten years to find a producer because it was so unconventional.And it was not produced by the big studios, but by an independant producer.
    That kind devotion is hard to find, here or in holly wood,
    War movies generally made for jingoistic audiences, like Gadar, Border etc.
    I have not seen Apocalypse Now, it is any better?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsri
    Dances with the wolves is not western! It is anti-western.
    It is made from the Point of view of the native Americans. Traditional westerns are made from the Pov of white guys, trying to conquer the frontier, with the natives being the villians.
    good point! that's exactly what makes the film a modern classic - the fact that it didn't fit into any of the subgenres or parodies of a western. in that sense, it was in a completely different mould, breaking away from the kind of steretypes that one associates with films of that genre. and one gets a sense of this central theme pretty early on in the film, when john dunbar (costner) is asked why he wants to be posted on the frontier, and he replies:

I want to see the West ... before it's gone!

if you liked 'Dances', check out 'Open Range' another beautifully made western. this one has costner teaming up with robert duvall and annette bening.
    BTW, what happened to Kevin Costner himself? This guy made couple of classics, like, DWW, Body gaurd, No place to run(?) etc,
    After WAter world, he has disappeared.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    War movies generally made for jingoistic audiences, like Gadar, Border etc.
    I have not seen Apocalypse Now, it is any better?
    AN is more of a "personal" movie, in that it takes us into the mind of the character played by Marlon Brando.
    The movie is set in the Vietnam war background but pushes the Vietnamese and later Cambodians into the background.
    In that way, its neither jingoistic nor genuinely anti-war

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, what happened to Kevin Costner himself? This guy made couple of classics, like, DWW, Body gaurd, No place to run(?) etc,
    I'm not sure but i think he acted in a movie called Tin Cup.....

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    No place to run
    abbydoss, its No Way Out - the first KC movie I saw and fell in love with the man,....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    There is an interesting story behing making of DWW,It was written as a novel by the author 15 years before the movie was made living in trailer vans etc.After he met, Kevin costner, he remade it into a screenplay and even with KC, it took more than ten years to find a producer because it was so unconventional.And it was not produced by the big studios, but by an independant producer.
    That kind devotion is hard to find, here or in holly wood,
    yeah ... costner actually started his own production company TIG productions, along with jim wilson of warner bros, to fund that movie. and it turned out to be a bonanza for them. among the top grossing films in a year that churned out monster hits like 'Home Alone' and 'Ghost'.
    "Whenever I feel the need for exercise, I go and lie down for half an hour until the feeling passes." - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    after 'Dances' costner's star continued to rise with films like 'The Bodyguard', 'JFK' (directed by oliver stone) and 'A Perfect World' (directed by clint eastwood). but yes, as you say, 'Waterworld' turned out to be his undoing. after that there was a series of forgettable flicks - 'Tin Cup' , 'The Postman', '3000 Miles to Graceland' (i think he co-starred with kurt russell in this one) etc. he made a partial comeback with 'Dragonfly' and 'Thirteen Days' a couple of years ago. then i think came 'Open Range' which he directed, and that got him back on track. last year's 'Upside of Anger' in which he stars with joan allen, is being tipped for the oscars and is regarded by critics as a complete return to form.

but if you really want the best of kevin costner, you should watch (apart from 'Dances', of course) 'Field of Dreams' and 'JFK' - sort of reminds you of what a versatile talent he once was (and still is, hopefully!).
    "Whenever I feel the need for exercise, I go and lie down for half an hour until the feeling passes." - Will Rogers

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsri
    after 'Dances' costner's star continued to rise with films like 'The Bodyguard', 'JFK' (directed by oliver stone) and 'A Perfect World' (directed by clint eastwood). but yes, as you say, 'Waterworld' turned out to be his undoing. after that there was a series of forgettable flicks - 'Tin Cup' , 'The Postman', '3000 Miles to Graceland' (i think he co-starred with kurt russell in this one) etc. he made a partial comeback with 'Dragonfly' and 'Thirteen Days' a couple of years ago. then i think came 'Open Range' which he directed, and that got him back on track. last year's 'Upside of Anger' in which he stars with joan allen, is being tipped for the oscars and is regarded by critics as a complete return to form.

but if you really want the best of kevin costner, you should watch (apart from 'Dances', of course) 'Field of Dreams' and 'JFK' - sort of reminds you of what a versatile talent he once was (and still is, hopefully!).
    Field of Dreams is a great movie, especially you're a baseball fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a movie called "Bull Durham" or Bill Dirham by KC, isn't there?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you're very right Abbydoss was it any good?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/

i really like 3000 miles to graceland especially that bit with Jon Lovitz DWW was beautiful...

From the few Tom Hanks movies i've watched i liked Forrest Gump, Green Mile, Cast Away

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast