Thread: Stories of Lore

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Stories of Lore

Hi friends.

Would appreciate if you could share with the me the stories of Nakkiran and Kuberan.

More requests will follow suit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Story of Nakkiren is as follows..(my info is from Thiruvilayadal movie :P.Think its correct though)

Once one Raja announced to his subjects that anyperson who can clear his doubts will receive ample rewards.
    There was a very poor poet in his kingdom.This poet now was not very talented but he needed the reward as he didnt have any money.He was a sivabakthar and he asks Sivan to help him.Sivan comes in guise of another poet and writes a katturai and asks him to give it to the king saying that he (poor poet) wrote it.
    The poor poet takes the katturai to the king and all are pleased .When he is about to receive the reward ,Nakkiren who is in the kings court tells the poet he cannot receive the reward as there is a kuttram in his katturai. Now the poet not having written the katturai does not know how to defend it.He imm comes to Sivan(who is still in the guise of a poet) and tells him that his katturai has some kuttram.Sivan gets very angry and goes to confront Nakkiren.Nakkiren argues with him..Sivan then changes his appearance and shows his original form in anger.Nakkiren then says a mistake is a mistake even if GOD committed it.Sivan gets extremely wild and opens his Netri Kann thereby reducing Nakkiren to ashes.After that the king and everyone else ask Sivans forgiveness also since Nakkiren stood by his conviction Sivan's anger gets appeased and he restores Nakkiren.
    This is the only story I know of Nakkiren.I think this is what you meant.I dont know which Kuberen story you are asking for...is it the one where Kuberen lends Perumal money??I dont know the story either so if anyone else knows that story pls tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ssanjinika, thank you so much. That is preciasely what I wanted to know about Nakkiran. Who can forget the phrase 'Netrikkan thirappinum kutram kutrame'!

The story that I vaguely know about Kuberan is in the similar lines of lord of wealth becomes a pauper. Though 'why' and 'how' is what I would like to know.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    kallAk kuraN^gu paLiN^giR kanikATTa
    ellAk kuraN^gum uDan INDi - vallE
    irun^dhu ugirAR kal kiLaikkum IN^gOyE mEnip
    porun^tha arAp pUNDAn poruppu.

Meaning:
    An idiotic monkey showed a fruit in the marble (reflection).
    All the monkeys now coming together, tactically sitting (!~),
    started to scratch the stone with the nails !
    That Ingoymalai is the hill of the One, Who wound snakes
    fitting in the form.

(http://siddhanta.shaivam.org/thisl456.htm)

Nakkerar was a Tamil poet, assumed to be lived during Tamil kadai sangam era (around 2200 years before present). A poet with the name of Nakkeerar had contributed significantly to “Prabhandham”, the padhinORAm thirumuRai (eleventh thirumuRai of Saiva Siddthantham), Thirumurukatrupadai, Vinayakar Tiru-Agaval and some more.

The present Madurai town and the tank within the Meenakshi temple are also assumed to be associated with the mentioned incidence. After burnt to death by third eye of the God, he had been resurrected (!!!) from the tank within the temple. The same tank was assumed as the first place where Thiruvalluvar released his Thrirukural. There is a separate temple for him in West Masi street of Madurai.

Unfortunately, we can’t distinguish or separate the myth and Tamil history. If some Tamil experts can write about Nakiran based on historical timeline after separating the myth, it will be very interesting. His poems and braveness are great even if we consider all the superstitious incidences as myth.
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed interesting, r_kk.

Here's my two cents worth:
    Whether he was resurrected or not that's a secondary matter.
    The point is, stand by the truth, no matter who you are standing against!

A question for you, r_kk, when you mentioned there's a separate temple for nakkiran, are you saying that he's now being prayed to?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber r_kk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.ratchasi
    A question for you, r_kk, when you mentioned there's a separate temple for nakkiran, are you saying that he's now being prayed to?
    I moved around Madurai West Masi Street many times during my child/youthhood but never bothered to enter in to the small temples. Next time, when I go to Madurai, I will try to visit Nakkirar temple and find out whether people prays to him or not.
    Netrikan thirapinum kutram kutrame...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ar
    Yea the Nakkiren story is interesting.
    As for Kuberen..hmmm...
    I do know that he lent Venkatachalapathy money for his wedding with Padmavati..and that has something todo with him becoming a pauper though the exact story escapes me right now.Vaguely remember reading the story in some old Amar Chitra katha sometime.I would be happy if someone else could update this story.