Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed

Hi,
    I have an iron dosa tawa it was working fine all of a sudden the batter started to stick on the tawa so i get a disfigured dosa. Can anyone help me out to set right my tawa? Already I tried applying oil and onion but still it is not working fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use the same tawa for making chappathi? I found out that my tawa doesnt like having dosha AND chappathi made on it ... It takes 3 or 4 disfigured doshas before it resumes to normal. So I've got two separate tawas now!

Anyway, try this: scrub the tawa nicely. Dry well and apply nallennai (gingelly oil) and leave for half an hour or so. When you put the tawa on the stove, make sure the flame is medium-low. When the tawa is sufficiently hot (sprinkle water and if it szzles the tawa is ready), try pouring a very small ladle of batter. Dont spread. It usually works, but if not, then may be it could be the batter.

Let us know if this worked...and if anyone else has any suggestions..

Shoba

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    arrecipes,
    same question again- do u use that tava to make chapathis?
    because i have tried once to make chapathi on dosa tava and that was a wrong idea..as it spoilt my tava for a short time. so..since then i never make chapathi on dosa tava.

normally when i use the tava for dosa, after finished doing dosas i do not wash the tava instead i apply light coating of oil once tava is cooled and leave it like that till the next use and whenever i have to use it again i scrub the tava with crystal salt and rinse and use. i followed the same method when my tava got spoilt. it worked. as you have mentioned that u've already applied oil- for how long did u apply oil?- try applying and leaving it for 2 days atleast and then use the tava to see if it worked
    with this method u can spread the dosa as thin or thick as u want and u will not get disfigured dosas AT ALL.
    .( about the onion- i and my mom(60 years) never applied onion to the tava, just oil..)
    Hope this helps.

Shoba,
    Suggestion-
    When making dosas u should be able to spread it on the tava. otherwise something is wrong somewhere. It happens to me sometimes.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends,
    I use different tawa for dosa and chappathi, yet i end up in such problem. Now i have got some solutions from u and i will try to implement it and let u know the results.
    Thank you very much for ur help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by napolims445
    arrecipes,
    Shoba,
    Suggestion-
    When making dosas u should be able to spread it on the tava. otherwise something is wrong somewhere. It happens to me sometimes.
    Oh, it's just for the first ladle of batter for test running. If that kutti-dosha itself sticks then something needs to be corrected before using the entire tawa for the usual spread of batter.

Shoba

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi arrecipes,

I too experienced the same problem. You can apply the non stick spray before starting. Just spray it on the tava and spread & wipe it all over the tava. Then you will get nice dosas. Nowadays i stopped using onion,oil. Just spray it and enjoy cooking. Two days agao, I even made Mysore masala dosa, a big,crispy brown dosa. Hope it will work for you also.

Thanks!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shoba,
    I applied gingelly oil on the tawa and left it for almost a day and poured some batter again i end up in sticking. I made a new batter yesterday and again i end up in the same problem...........

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just put that tava in a trash bag and buy a new one. Easy!

My mom always say..after seasoning the tava like oil and onion thing, make dosa with cover(hope u got it)

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrecipes
    i had the Same problem a while ago and it was discussed in the Household thread..It din't work immd for me also..It took a few tries..Then one time i made Cutlets and the next day i got the usual dosa.I don't know whether all the oil i had used helped it...

My Mil said the following things for me to do..

Take half onion,dip in oil and rub it on the tawa.Try making ur first dosa a small one and a thick one also.

Secondly she said something about putting salt in a cloth,dip in oil and rub it on tawa..I don't remember xactly.

Please have a little patience..i know its extremely frustrating.Give it some time.I used to try only the first dosa and if it sticks i'll start making it non stick.

Hope this helps.

GVB

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi friends,
    I have a happy news!!!!!! My tawa is working fine now. I just applied gingelly oil on the tawa and left it like that 4-5 days and then i made dosa it started out well. Thanx for ur valuable suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast