Thread: authentic south indian sambhar

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

authentic south indian sambhar

Hi,
    I would like to know the best method for preparing tasty non-spicy delicious sambhar like we get in vegetarian hotels.

I have tried all the powders like MTR, Sakthi Masala, etc but they are more on the spicy side. I generally neutralise the spicy flavor by adding good amount of tomatoes and avoiding chillies or chilly powder.

Which brand of powder is least spicy and also reduces the taste of dal in the sambhar?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Havu U tried Eastern sambar powder?... U might like it as it is less spicy...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    after a lot of trial and error, i finally got the knack of getting it right and yummy

Pressure cook dal and water in the ratio 1:2. Saute Onions, jeera and mustard. Soak a spoonful of tamarind paste in warm water for a while. Add the vegetables at this stage. Add the tamarind water, little bit of coriander powder, curry leaves and salt to the mixture. Mix the sambhar powder and fry till the veggies are cooked. Note that no chillies or mirchipowder should be added to maintain the pristine taste of sambhar.

Add the cooked dhal to the mixture and boil for some time. Garnish with coriander leaves. Let it rest for about 30mins. Sambhar with authentic taste is ready and its effect on the tongue assumes heavenly proportions when tasted the next day

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber waaza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    after a lot of trial and error, i finally got the knack of getting it right and yummy

Pressure cook dal and water in the ratio 1:2. Saute Onions, jeera and mustard. Soak a spoonful of tamarind paste in warm water for a while. Add the vegetables at this stage. Add the tamarind water, little bit of coriander powder, curry leaves and salt to the mixture. Mix the sambhar powder and fry till the veggies are cooked. Note that no chillies or mirchipowder should be added to maintain the pristine taste of sambhar.

which vegetables would you add?
    cheers
    Waaza
    take time to smell the roses

http://cumbrianfoodlab.blogspot.com/

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

sambhar

Dear Hehehewalrus !
    i use to make sambhar without adding sambhar podi.It's my mom's recipe.
    SAMBHAR
    -----------
    Vegetables - 1 cup (brinjal,drumstick etc.)
    Thoordal - 3/4 cup
    cook the thoordal adding 11/4 cup water and 4 crushed garlic and i teaspoon cuminseeds.add turmeric powder
    small onions-3 + 7
    greenchillies -2
    red chillies -2 or 4
    curry leaves -1 sprig
    mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
    hing - a pinch
    tamarind -5 tsp of tamarind extract (not tamarind paste -u can add little if u use this)
    tomato - 1 medium USA onion (2 indian tomatoes )
    chilli powder -1/4 teaspoon
    sambhar powder -1/4 teaspoon (optional)

PROCEDURE
    -------------
    Heat 4 tsp oil in a kadai and when it becomes hot add finely chopped 3 sambhar onions and greenchillies .after it becomes soft add the vegetables and fry for 1/2 minute and then add tomatoes and fry for 1/2 minute. now add 3 cups water and add salt ,chilli powder and sambhar powder (optional).Let it come a boil.Now add tamarind extract and allow it to boil for some time.when the raw smell tamarind goes and vegetable is cooked add thoor dhal.In a separate vessel add 6 tsp oil .when it becomes hot add hing and mustard.Now add remaining sambar onions ,redchillies and curry leaves.when the onion becomes soft add the seasoning to the thooldal mixture and let it come to a boil.check for salt and tamarind.if u feel u need more more add tamarind extract and let it boil for some time till its raw smell goes.Hope u like it !

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks chamy. will surely try out your recipe to sample the authenticity of the taste
    But it surely is a costly one, since other than tons of sambhar powder tins, it's hard for me to obtain the natural ingredients.

waaza,
    I sent you a pm

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Sowmya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sambar feedback..

Hi Chamy/foodlover
    Tried your sambar today and it tasted great! .The idea of not having to use sambar powder appealed to me.
    I have a question.. what are the other compatible vegs to prepare this kind of sambar?Should it always be a combo of vegs?I can figure out that the tomato and sambar onions are the vital ingredients.

Regards
    Sowmya

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Sowmya !
    Thank u very much for the feedback.Actually i don't use combo vegetables for sambhar.It will be either brinjal,chow chow,carrot or drumsticks alone.u can make onion sambhar by increasing the quantity of onions and tomato sambhar by increasing the amount of tomato and not using tamarind.Iam not a very much experienced cook.Actually i posted the recipe my mother gave me when i came to US after marriage.

Regards foodlover.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sambar feedback..

Quote Originally Posted by Sowmya
    Hi Chamy/foodlover
    Tried your sambar today and it tasted great! .The idea of not having to use sambar powder appealed to me.
    I have a question.. what are the other compatible vegs to prepare this kind of sambar?Should it always be a combo of vegs?I can figure out that the tomato and sambar onions are the vital ingredients.

Regards
    Sowmya
    Hi,

For sambar I use 3 beans, half carrot,1 big tomatoe, 1 drumstick(cooked seperately),pearl onions,1 small brinjal,okra( fried seperately in one tsp of veg oil and cooked),garlic,ginger,1 potatoe.

Using this much combination of veg gives more taste and good for health.

vizmaya.
    Visit www.vizmaya.com for viewing a huge collection of recipes.