Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pongal

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Pongal

hi,
    This is my method of preparing venn Pongal. It turns out slightly dry.
    Take 3 cups of rice and 1 cup of moong dhal and pressure cook it in 4 cups of water. Add salt to the water. Since I used normal rice, i shred it a few seconds in the blender. In a pan, heat up ghee and add curryleaf, cashewnuts, pepper corns and jeera. Transfer the rice-dal mixture once ready and mix. Turned out quite well though little bit dry.

Tamil Nadu style pongal is on the drier side and kerala pongal is thoroughly semi-solid. In between taste will be fine. Can anyone say where I am going wrong? Please share your personal methods of preparation.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice-dal mixture is quite less. Is it ok to add some milk to the cooker mixture?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi hehehewalrus,
    i think the best ratio for pongal is 1 cup of raw rice (tastes better than parboiled rice) and half a cup of moong dal. u can dry fry the moong dal and add 3 cups of water.
    add ghee to the mixture(beforecooking)and pressure cook it. jus try this and let me know
    Sehr gut!

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

pongal

You can also add 1/2 to 1 cup of milk. The taste will be heavenly.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    i never knew that you could add milk to prepare pongal !

http://enveetusamayal.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks tharuma, padmasini. I followed both ur advice and it turned out much tastier and enjoyable

But i am still looking for a good sambhar recipe that goes well with the pongal - i cant make coconut chutney since there is no indian store for coconuts nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi, I would like to make sweet pongal. Is my understanding correct that the jaggery mentioned in recipes refers to Vellum?
    If so, I have no access to vellum. Is there an alternative to it?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    HHHW,

as far as my knowledge goes, we add 'karumbu sakkarai' for sweet pongal... If it is not available ,u can use any of the unrefined sugar(brown ones) varieties but there will be some difference in the taste...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Senior Member Regular Hubber MysoreHudugi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can try using Brown sugar (dark one) instead of vellam if you cannot get vellam. Taste won't be the same, but pretty close.

CI.
    People can give you recipies, but cannot make you a great chef. It is you who can make the difference using your own creativity!!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks mysore hudugi. Will it be available in walmart? can u recommend a specific brand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast