Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Vegetable Gardening

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK I planted some methi seeds. Does it really need a lot of sun? because the temperatures are in 50s outside and I think I should keep them indoors. My kitchen window is almost full, and would it be ok if i keep the methi seeds pot somewhere else inside the house where there is no sun? Or do u think it will survive outside in the cold weather? Thanks.
    I wish I would have thought about this in summer! Next summer I will be growing a lot of methi outside. :P
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    How to grow money plant [a friend has given a stalk] at home ? I've put it in a plastic jar of water, but some leaves are yellowing, while new small shoots are becoming brown. How much light it needs --- which room is ideal for keeping it, presently I've kept in hallway.
    Thanks,
    Urmi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi urmila,
    well i have 2 money plants at home......one growing in water other in soil.... yes they do need light... leave them in a place.. where it is bright.....
    u can c some improvement....
    hope this helps
    Kritica

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,
    I have planted methi and cilantro and left it in the south facing window.. as my friends told me that south facing window gets maximum sun during winter.... is there any other herbs that i can grow at home.....
    thanks in advance
    Kritica

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kritica,

This is the first time I'm trying out gardening... & my methi is not growing after a certain stage...ie after I see 2 leaves, the plant starts bending down as though it's not able to sustain then weight & then dies... This has happened twice now... Am gonna try again with fewer plants in a pot...
    My coriander never sprouted... Both get enough sunlight & water...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dev,
    well my methi is sprouted.... u know i live in canada.. and at this time of the year.. the sunlight is not very strong... i have put it somewhere where it can... stay warm and have as much sunlight as possible.....
    when googled.. they ask to use a flourscent light.. and a fan... so have fresh air cirulation... well i will c.. if it becomes a flop i will try out those...
    Kritica

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, kritica
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee thanks dev,
    well new development is that we have a snow storm rite now... so i dont know.. it has sprouted and come rite out of methi.. ..... i hope everything goes ok.....my cilantro... has not even sprouted.. i dont know what is wrong....
    thanks for all your help
    Kritica

Senior Member Regular Hubber kavithasenthil's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Dev and kritica,

Here are few tips which i had saved from the net. I have no idea from where i got these tips. If it creates any copy right issue then pls delete it.

1. Greens like coriander and mint grow better in shaded light. You have to grow them under shade nettings. The naturual response of plants - bigger, juicier leaves in shade. Smaller, harder leaves in direct sun - they don't need big leaves to trap 'more light'.

2. Fruiting plants fruit better under strong light.

3. Plants prefer a well drained soil, but not sand - it does not hold moisture and nuitrients well. If your garden is sandy - mix compost with the sand 50/50% and make a vegetable bed.

4. So if you grow brinjals - space them at half a metre interval and plant mint or corriander under them.

5. MINT
    The common asian variety Pudhina (botanical: Mentha arvensis) will perform well in hot hot hot climate under shade. Grow them from fleshy stem cuttings - they tend to shoot runners that will root and spread all over the bed.

The temperate varieties - Pepermint (Mentha peperita) and Spear Mint (Mentha spicata) - I have seen them grow from seeds only. I have not tried cuttings!

6. Corriander
    Grown from seeds. Don't use those seeds that you buy from stores for cooking - they are very weak seeds - they sprout and die afer a few days. Buy the seed from seed shops. Split the seeds before sowing. Sow them in seed trays to germinate then tranplant them to the garden after the second leave appears. You can sow direct to your garden if you can monitor them carefully till they become sturdy. You can also sow them direct if you are planting in boxes or pots.

7. Watering has to done once a day when they are small and twice a day when the plants are bigger (they drink more water then). Look out for signs of dehydration - leaf tips will dry out! Maybe you need to water thrice if the soil can't hold much water - seeps off too fast.

8. Nutrients - fertiliser. Ask the local nursery to recommend - High nitrogen for leafy vegies, High pottasium for fruits. Don't overdose. Give them small quantities every week - they grow well. Larger quantity every month results in slower growth.

9. Pests and Fungal diseases - may be a problem - we will tackle them when they come!

Keep a bigger pot in a corner of your garden with 3/4 mud. Put all your degradable garbages in this. Each time u can dig a corner and cover these biodegradables so that u see only mud above..keep this always wet. biodegradables are tea left over, egg shells, fruit and vegetable skins...etc...add this mixture when u prepare your pot for planting and see the difference in crops next time...Enjoy gardening!!!
    Grow mint ( pudhina) in pots, if planted in ground it will spread and take over the whole place. I got a bunch from a grocery store used all the leaves and planted those stems and it grew very well.
    you can grow chillies in pots, aloe vera and curry leaves.
    Marigolds and tomatoes can be planted to together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kavitha,

Thanks a lot for the info... methi/pudina/ cori everyhing died... coriander never sprouted... Dunno Y...

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast