Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Vegetable Gardening

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aathirai,

Where did u get thandu keerai, siru keerai and arai keerai seeds? from here or from india?

For eggplant they need lots of sun like tomatoes more than 8hrs, as soon as eggplant matures harvest them, if u leave it for long time they will become more stiffer( muthal) and then the plant will stop producing veg. so it is imp to keep checking and harvesting them. i wanted to grow some eggplants this time but no time to start seeds. so i have only tomatoes, bell pepper, chilli and mints.

Kz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi KZ:

I have big yard. But I live in New York and summer here is hardly 3 months. It is not enough for most of the plants. I do start them inside. This year I bought plants. eggplants, tomatoes, zucchini, greenchilies i bought from a local nursary. Beans, pavakkai and keerai i started from seeds. I also stared some radishes from seeds. slugs are eating them. With work, family and kids it is hard to maintain garden. I am trying to control slugs.

Keerai seeds, Thandu keerai i got it from a friend. I also got red keerai from a friend. siru keerai and arai keerai i got it from India. Slugs are eating arai keerai. Siru and Thandu keerai are comming well. I have enough to give it away.

Next time I will try thai Pepper.

Thanks for the info
    Aathirai

Post Thanks / Like
    KZ:

About Paavaikkai, I started in a planter and planted in the garden. My husband helped me to put a Pandal using thin sticks. I have a hibiscus bush in the garden. one paavakkai is climbing on it. I will let you know.
    Aathirai

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow u sure have a great garden. i would love to have a big one. i live in NJ so here too same 3 months. nice that u have a yard. i have big deck so only container gardening. what kind of radish do u grow, red one or our indian white ones? i wanted to grow more but not sure how the rabbits ,squirells will treat them so just starting slowly. they are fond of my rose and eat all the leaves. i will start pavakai next yr and see how it does. i had red leaf before but some animal ate it not sure which.
    Will try keerai next yr. do u use any spray for slugs and japanese beetles, they are messing up my peppers.

Kz

Post Thanks / Like
    KZ
    I have slugs and beetles too. Beetles are eating my chillies too. Additionally we have raccoons in out nighbourhood. such a nuisance.

I bought mixed radish seeds. Mullangi and red radish are comming very well. last year i had them too. But my mullangi never comes like the one we buy in stores. I usually get small ones. The seeds that comes on top of that plants can be cooked too. I never knew that. a friend of mine who is from Bangalore told me. They make curry and put it in sambar etc. tastes good.

I never get good coriander either. If some one can help me.
    Aathirai

Post Thanks / Like
    athirai,
    i have been trying to find the mulangi seeds which you get on top of the plants- here in USA. U mentioned that you get those seeds in your plant. how do you grow mulangi? could you please explain me.
    and do you know if american stores sell those mulangi seeds which you were talking about( which you can put in sambar.)

Thanks in advance for your info.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year, I too faced the slug problems; but, eventually, as the temperature goes 80 and above, they all disappeared. The person who comes to our house to spray was telling that the slugs will stay when the soil is wet or moist.

I was told to try pouring salt on the slugs or keeping beer in a cup near slugs where they come; but, have not tried either of the methods.

And for coriander, pound one or two coarsely and put in the soil. For me, it took 2 to 3 weeks time. Back at home, my mother used to say that we have to pound the seeds with slippers(dont know the reason why).

Post Thanks / Like
    Anoushka, my pumpkin stays on the ground only as we have a good backyard. But, the soil has little stones too. But the other veggies or flower plants are coming finely! Why not this?

Sorry, I dont know any of specific dish on what you are asking. Can substitute it in the place of other keerais' dishes.

thanks for the info.,

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    R & Aathirai - Beer is small flat cups gets rid of slugs Works wonders actually! I use slug pellets sometimes too. And the slugs do appear because of dampness. And when you bring plants from other places do check for slugs as one slug in a slug free garden is enough to do the damage

If you have small children avoid the slug pellets and stick to beer in small yoghurt pots stuck in the groud!

R, I am not sure why your pumpkin is not growing

Post Thanks / Like
    That is ok, Anoushka..am thinking of planting the pumpkin again in a pot. Becoz, just now saw my coriander is not growing properly in the direct soil, but it is fine in the pot!!

Looks like my garden soil is fine for flowers, not for veggies!!

Thanks.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast