Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Vegetable Gardening

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Anou, u do have a lot veggies growing in your garden.
    How did u get manathakali keeerai seeds?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    dsath: I got manathakkaLi and pasalai keerai seeds from my mother's garden when I went to India. I also tend to buy seeds from the Horticulture society of India (opposite Woodlands drive in) when I go to Madras. You are just across in the UK, I can post you manathakkaLi seeds for next season if you want btw, where in UK are you? I travel to Derby regularly (I am there tomorrow and day after too!)
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber ssanjinika's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anou,what do you do during winter?How to protect them from the snow.Someplants do go into hibernation during winter,but I am not sure what to do about the herbs. I recently bought tulasi plant and thats thriving as of now..but it will be winter in just a few short months

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Anou. My husband is in India now and i will ask him to bring in some seeds from India. I would love have a curry leaves plant growing in the garden.
    I live in Birmingham a 2 hr drive from Derby. Why don't you pop in sometime when in Derby Anou?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sandy: We don't have snow here and the temperature never goes below -5 here anyway. I have a little green house which kind of protects some of my plants, some die away... mint dies and comes back by itself, whereas methi, manathakkali, mustard, etc survive the winter if the root is covered with wooden chips!

dsath: We tend to fly from Birmingham if the flights from EMA are full. So when we do that I will definetly pop in and meet you I am in Derby today and will be flying out from EMA tomorrow. Maybe next time
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure Anou, next time when you come to Birmingham please PM me.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any luck this year

Quote Originally Posted by gkals
    Hi all gardening lovers,

Can u share what all plants u are growing now at home.I read the entire posting now and i wonder whether any one planted bittergaurd this year?.I live in boston.Can i plant a bitter gaurd now or is it late?.Also where can i get curry leave plants?.
    I also have mint plants in a pot.I think u have to plant very thick stems which u buy from the shop.I also got corriander plants and i used store bought seeds.I have been trying to get the plants for the past 3 years and didn't suceed.This year iam lucky.I bought a different brand of the seeds from the shop.

Redpepper,What all herbs are u growing this year?.Please do share.Also dev,U can cook the methi plant with just two leaves.I always pluck the methi plants when it has only the first 2 leaves(takes only 5 days only after planting the seeds).Cut all the roots and put the plant with 2 leaves and an inch of the stem in the kaarakulamboo we do.We have to add them when we are frying the onions for the kulamboo.It will give a very good smell and taste for the kulamboo and they say it is very good for ur eyes.

To ALL others,Please do post about ur gardening this year.
    Thanks
    Kals
    Kal, I couldn't pay enough attention to my plants this year. So I have nothing much going on here except 3 types of mints, and some herbs such as rosemary, basil, and sage. I have some methi too. Cilantro was a failure. I am waiting for next Summer!
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

garden plans for fall

What can be done in fall?

(Applies for those living in North America only)

Several places are selling containers for plants for 50% off sale. (such as Dollar general )

Dollar general also sells Peters fertilizer (it is beter than MG) as soil won’t accumulate salts like MG and preferred by Nursery men.
    Again available at Dollar general stores. One dollar a packet.
    Lowes is selling some good (I prefer them and so are many others on sale)

Epsoma brand Rose fertilizers, Garden tone and bulb fertilizers. These are semi organic.

With vegetable and flower gardening high phosphorous and low nitrogen fertilizers are preferred. Other wise you will leafy growth, but no yields.

Yes! you can use rose and bulb fertilizers for Veggies and actually they are preferred...

Cut down on fertilizing Curry leaf plants, Tulasi plants and Jasmines.

If you have traditional row type of gardening (till the soil on the ground) (not raised beds or container gardening), add compost, cut down the plants that died add it to the soil, mix it well and cover it with a black garbage bag. If you add lot of vegetative matter add liquid molasses or Jaggery water so that the vegetative matter will break down quicker. Also add little lime a hand full is sufficient.

Prepare the soil this fall or early winter so that the bio availability is great for next season.

Buy a table light with florescent lights so that you can provide supplementary lights to your indoor plants in winter.
    There is time now to order Tindora (donda) and jasmine plants.

Don’t buy lilies now (Rajani Gandha) buy them in April?

Start looking at the catalogs (.Ever green and Indian seeds websites).

How many egg plants?
    Donda (tindora- Gentlemen’s toes)
    Karela (bitter melon)?
    Amaranths (thota Kura)
    what are the early maturing varieties 50 days from planting?
    Do you have space for them any plans for trellis?
    How much time you can allot per week?
    So on and so fourth
    regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your tips venkatappiah

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Any one interested in Tulasi seeds?

Any one interested in Tulasi seeds?

These Tulasi plants are re raised in Kentucky. Most of them are Krishna Tulasi. Some of them got mixed up with Lakshmi Tulasi seeds from the gardens of Tirumala.This strain comes from the seeds distributed from the gardens of Venkateswara temple.
    I will be glad to give them to any one who wants them.
    I will put them in a zip lock bag.
    Please send a SASE with 2 stamps (large envelope).
    If you PM me I can give my address, both postal and e-mail. I can also send instructions about the medical value and other growing instructions Etc collected from several sources and from my own experience.

What to do with Tulasi plants?

Good as companion plants in the garden with egg plants and peppers.
    Feng shui people and someVastu guys are recommending them putting them on four sides (N_E_S_W) or on four corners of the house. (Cheaper than braking walls)

Keep them in the living areas with sun light. They are considered to be auspicious and holy. They do have some protective influence from Drishti (evil eye, Buri Najar- evil planets Etc)
    Eat few leaves in the morning.Good as a mouth freshener, good for cough and colds, Good to reduce triglycerides and cholesterol)
    Exemptions those who are pregnant- some say it may cause bleeding)
    Make tea out of leaves. Grow more plants in Styrofoam cups; give away to a temple for their find raising. I keep them on a table in a Hindu temple ask them to pick one and put 5 dollars in the Hundi.
    Give them as a gift to fellow Indians at dinner meetings or any auspicious occasions such as Griha pravesam, satya narayana vratham etc.

regards

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast