Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Vegetable Gardening

Senior Member Senior Hubber Idiappam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Redpepper, may I know which corner of the Globe are you posting from?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiappam
    Redpepper, may I know which corner of the Globe are you posting from?
    U.S.

Any suggestions? I have always admired your expertise, and I would be happy if I could make use of some....
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Aloe Vera

Quote Originally Posted by kavithasenthil
    Hello Dev and kritica,

Here are few tips ........................

you can grow chillies in pots, aloe vera and curry leaves.
    Marigolds and tomatoes can be planted to together.
    Hi KavithaSenthil,

Where did you buy Aloe vera? I'm looking for fresh Aloe vera gel (for hair colouring) in grocery store. But I couldn't find the leaf or gel. Could you help me on this?

Thanks!
    Inimai.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is summer again, and time for the garden, so here are a few things that I've been doing which might help others too
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearing the slugs off your garden!

Slugs: the biggest pest problems that I face. If you have no slugs in your garden, great! But be careful, if you bring plants (with soil) from other places where there are slugs, your garden will be infested in no time. (that is how I got slugs in mine)!

There are three ways (that I know of ) to control slugs (I am not sure if slugs can be cleared completely at all).
    1. Slug pellets - they should be available in all garden shops. If you don't have children or pets and if it is not going to rain and if you are not going to water your plants for sometime, you can add this. As once you water the pellets melt and is of no use then.... I don't think it is safe for homes with small children or pets as they tend to put anything on the ground into the mouth.

2. Beer - strange as it may sound, beer attracts slugs. Pour some beer into used yoghurt pots (or something like that) and stick it in the ground so that the mouth of the vessel is at ground level overnight. The next morning you should find a good few dead slugs in each container.

3. Salt. This is the best method I find. Salt dehydrates slugs and kills them. It is a bit of hard work. Water you plants each evening (as you would do normally), once you water them, after half an hour the slugs tend to come out, walk around with your salt container and sprinkle some salt on each slug that you see, that kills the slug within minutes. Then wake up next morning (around six) and go out to find more slugs and kill them. Do it for a week and the slug population decreases drastically! And don't stop after that, each time you see a slug go for the salt container...

Good luck getting rid of the slugs!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey wow, i never knew this thread existed.....
    the one thing in which i need real help....
    all i have is money plants...one in soil, one in water...
    i live in a flat, so no garden space..all i can do is pot gardening...
    how do i get rid of the white powdery thing on my money plant leaves, everytime i wipe off with a wet cloth, it is back....

Senior Member Devoted Hubber RedPepper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some wonderful tips Anoushka. I do container gardening, and haven't met any slugs yet. But I will keep your tips in mind for the future.

This summer I am growing lots of herbs, methi, and tomato plants. One of my mint plant has lots of small bugs on it. When I spray water on it, they will go away, but come back when the plant is dry again. They are on the stalk, and sometimes on the leaves too. Any idea how to get rid of them permanently?
    Red Pepper
    <font size=1>Some products from my workshop! </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Red pepper: Are you talking of green flies... small green ones? (tomato plants do attract green flies) I've heard that a easy way of getting rid of them is to spray soap water on them using a watering can (or one of those spray things)!

Ayesha: I haven't seen the white powdery stuff on my money plant so I do not know, will search around and let you know if I find any info.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Any luck this year

Hi all gardening lovers,

Can u share what all plants u are growing now at home.I read the entire posting now and i wonder whether any one planted bittergaurd this year?.I live in boston.Can i plant a bitter gaurd now or is it late?.Also where can i get curry leave plants?.
    I also have mint plants in a pot.I think u have to plant very thick stems which u buy from the shop.I also got corriander plants and i used store bought seeds.I have been trying to get the plants for the past 3 years and didn't suceed.This year iam lucky.I bought a different brand of the seeds from the shop.

Redpepper,What all herbs are u growing this year?.Please do share.Also dev,U can cook the methi plant with just two leaves.I always pluck the methi plants when it has only the first 2 leaves(takes only 5 days only after planting the seeds).Cut all the roots and put the plant with 2 leaves and an inch of the stem in the kaarakulamboo we do.We have to add them when we are frying the onions for the kulamboo.It will give a very good smell and taste for the kulamboo and they say it is very good for ur eyes.

To ALL others,Please do post about ur gardening this year.
    Thanks
    Kals

Post Thanks / Like
    gkals, I generally put the seeds in March/april so that the plants grow well before winter sets! I am not sure if this is the right time to put bittergourd seeds if you don't have anything like a green house.

Mint plants are good in a pot, if planted on the ground it grows like a weed and tends to take over everywhere!

Corriander seeds must be broken into two and seeded. You can use regular dhania seeds that you use for cooking. If it is of good quality it will definetly come up.

I have mint, corriander, tarragon & basil growing in my garden.

I also have strawberry, cabbage, betroot, tomato, green beans, manathakkaLi keerai, pasalai keerai, mEthi and mustard.

Other than this I have sunflower, carnation, marigold, jasmine, kanakambaram, sweet pea, lavendar, St. John's Wort, sweet williams, rose, pansies and a good few cactii varieties

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast